Class of 2016 - OG/DE Cameron DeGeorge (MA) Decommitted/Verbal to UConn | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OG/DE Cameron DeGeorge (MA) Decommitted/Verbal to UConn

I just don't want to see us in the same situation we were with Marrone. Jettison most of the class, get his own recruits but not in the same numbers, have a few kids xfer or take their degrees and then call 9 players in the office and tell them to leave. For 2 years we heard we didn't have the depth as we sometimes had 60 something players available.

When the dust settles, I hope we are at 80+.

With recruits it should be a non-factor as long as they still land the same number of verbals, land quality players and fill in the necessary gaps on the depth chart.

The current roster is where the "Marrone" approach would have the biggest impact. I do hope that DB and his staff pine it a bit to fit their system, but only to the extent that they can use the expected spots to further complement this recruiting class. It's better to have any body than no body at all in my opinion, as long as they don't have attitude issues.

I just don't want to see us in the same situation we were with Marrone. Jettison most of the class, get his own recruits but not in the same numbers, have a few kids xfer or take their degrees and then call 9 players in the office and tell them to leave. For 2 years we heard we didn't have the depth as we sometimes had 60 something players available.

Agreed with this 100%

I feel the same way. Get the players that fit your schemes but we also need to consider how many offers and commitments we take based on roster attrition. How many red shirts seniors will take their degree and leave/ transfer to FCS? how many players are there who just want to transfer?

I really don't believe this will be the case. These guys are recruiters; Marrone and his guys were not.

Shafer left the cupboard a lot fuller than Robinson did for Marrone. Night and day.

I really don't believe this will be the case. These guys are recruiters; Marrone and his guys were not.

Shafer left the cupboard a lot fuller than Robinson did for Marrone. Night and day.
We've moved a lot faster, and this hire gained us a ton of momentum as the recruits know exactly what to expect in a head coach. With Marrone he was coming from the NFL and all we knew about the offense was based on Clemson fans' hate for Rob Spence.

We've moved a lot faster, and this hire gained us a ton of momentum as the recruits know exactly what to expect in a head coach. With Marrone he was coming from the NFL and all we knew about the offense was based on Clemson fans' hate for Rob Spence.

Plus a few of the kids that were on the roster that GRob left behind wouldn't have made the 2 deep at my HS.

It was a total roster rebuild after 2008, needed to turn it over, and to do that needed to clear space.

Plus a few of the kids that were on the roster that GRob left behind wouldn't have made the 2 deep at my HS.
Your right. 2006 state champs baby!

GoSU96 said:
It was a total roster rebuild after 2008, needed to turn it over, and to do that needed to clear space.

Actually it's because he brought in such a small class. The kids he asked to leave could have filled a role on the roster. Instead he chose to go with the small roster and then people said we had no depth. Players 70-85 aren't seeing the field anyways. And having a small roster doesn't make for s lot more room cause you can only bring in 25 a year anyways.

Rocco said:

Such as?

Actually it's because he brought in such a small class. The kids he asked to leave could have filled a role on the roster. Instead he chose to go with the small roster and then people said we had no depth. Players 70-85 aren't seeing the field anyways. And having a small roster doesn't make for s lot more room cause you can only bring in 25 a year anyways.
True. The one thing worth pointing out though is if we get less than 25 this year and the numbers work out (attrition of current roster) January enrollees next year can be back dated to this year and in addition we can take up to 25 for 2017. Hate to see that much attrition though.

Noexcuse said:
True. The one thing worth pointing out though is if we get less than 25 this year and the numbers work out (attrition of current roster) January enrollees next year can be back dated to this year and in addition we can take up to 25 for 2017. Hate to see that much attrition though.

Just have 80+, that's all I care about.

Just have 80+, that's all I care about.
I agree. So long as they are able to bring in a full class next year, I want them to fill out the roster as much as possible.

I always agreed with what Marrone did he arrived on the Hill.

I always agreed with what Marrone did he arrived on the Hill.

I always got the feeling that there were a number of bad attitude/refusing to buy in types in that group that Marrone eliminated. If it was simply because of talent, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to send them packing if you don't have at least another body to take their place. A body with a good attitude is better than no body.

Rocco said:
Mike Mele

A work out warrior and hardest working kid on the team. Didn't he lead the team in tackles one year? Or close to it.

A work out warrior and hardest working kid on the team. Didn't he lead the team in tackles one year? Or close to it.
Must have been that cocaine he got arrested for at UMass...

bnoro said:
Must have been that cocaine he got arrested for at UMass...

But not here. Kid probably took a turn for the worse after getting kicked to the curb. Cost Marrone half of jersey.

Leading a horrible team in tackles isn't necessarily an accolade IMO. He was not a P5 football player.

You just like pushing buttons

No, just being honest.

But not here. Kid probably took a turn for the worse after getting kicked to the curb. Cost Marrone half of jersey.

Oh come on. So, since Marrone told him he should transfer in order to play, he caused the kid to start getting into the buggar sugar? That's a bit presumptuous.

Rocco said:
Leading a horrible team in tackles isn't necessarily an accolade IMO. He was not a P5 football player. No, just being honest. Oh come on. So, since Marrone told him he should transfer in order to play, he caused the kid to start getting into the buggar sugar? That's a bit presumptuous.

Well was he like that here? No. And he had success here so I guess he was a P5 player. He was playing against the same teams others were. Maybe you were more impressed with kicking a freshman AA to the curb for missing one rehab workout when others were doing a lot worse.

People make their own choices with regard to that crap. Not Marrones fault

oldpinepoint said:
People make their own choices with regard to that crap. Not Marrones fault

Didn't blame Marrone at all for it.