Oh happy day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oh happy day

This plan is in cohoots with the Dome reno. Faculty members are agenda driven and self-centered.
According to another article I found, before all this uproar by the Newhouse group, construction was scheduled to start tomorrow. If the contractors are already lined up my guess is that the Chancellor and BOT will give the Promenade the go ahead.

According to another article I found, before all this uproar by the Newhouse group, construction was scheduled to start tomorrow. If the contractors are already lined up my guess is that the Chancellor and BOT will give the Promenade the go ahead.
I agree with tipphill, whenever a big project takes place on the hill it seems there is a group of disgruntled faculty that feels the need to complain. Seems to be a bunch of cry babies up there that feel they're more important than the rest of the SU community.

This plan is in cohoots with the Dome reno. Faculty members are agenda driven and self-centered.

That's another reason why this is a goofy proposal - because it's not related to the Dome or the massive infrastructure work that will likely accompany the Dome project.

It just doesn't make sense to tear up and replace a limited-access brick street that was just rebuilt last summer, especially when so many other high-traffic corridors on campus are narrow asphalt paths that have been ignored since the early '80s.

It's weird, and very un-Kent (from what I understand).

Academics, as a group, are perhaps the most egotistical, self-important, irrational, and mutually self aggrandizing people on the planet. Granted the 2% who don't suck tend to be awesome people to be around. But whiny and professor are two words that go very naturally together.

This chancellor knows what the fluck he is doing. He also clearly knows how to appease these idiots enough to shut them up if only because they look stupid otherwise. The guy is a winner. If he thinks we need a promenade, there will be a promenade. Visuals matter, campus experience matters. I'm all for it

Some of the comments by professors in that article are truly idiotic. And I may add, who cares what professor X, on the other side of the campus, feels about a new walkway?

5506575_orig.jpg

sick of spoiled faculty members that feel entitled to a say in all matters.to many ivory tower people with no real world experience. i like the promenade plan.

sounds like Rubin's preachy op-eds in the Sunday fish wrap. He's a douchey combo of Ivory tower and Manlius burbs. He makes the elevated highway seem like the Berlin Wall. The other side isn't much better. The northern burbs hotel owners would have you believe their neighborhoods will turn into a mad max post apocalyptic waste land if the elevated highway is torn down.

Academics, as a group, are perhaps the most egotistical, self-important, irrational, and mutually self aggrandizing people on the planet. Granted the 2% who don't suck tend to be awesome people to be around. But whiny and professor are two words that go very naturally together.

This chancellor knows what the fluck he is doing. He also clearly knows how to appease these idiots enough to shut them up if only because they look stupid otherwise. The guy is a winner. If he thinks we need a promenade, there will be a promenade. Visuals matter, campus experience matters. I'm all for it
omg this is the best written post of the century. imho u are 100% correct BRAVO and WELL DONE!!!!

My advice as a recruiter has always been if you are unhappy with where you are perhaps you need to look elsewhere.
They are rejecting a lot, are they for anything? A lot of people don't get it.

some of the comments are good, surprisingly for syracuse.com. All 14 of those letter signers need to get a job in the real world

The letter-writers look childish and their thinking (to the extent that they've done any thinking) is asinine.

This 'promenade' is a strange idea, but wow - you couldn't pay me enough to be a university chancellor and deal with this foolishness. Not, at least, in the polite and enabling way that's now required of them.

The letter-writers look childish and their thinking (to the extent that they've done any thinking) is asinine.

This 'promenade' is a strange idea, but wow - you couldn't pay me enough to be a university chancellor and deal with this foolishness. Not, at least, in the polite and enabling way that's now required of them.
i would accept that pay to deal with them by building silly promenades through the wreckage of all the worthless departments whose professors will no longer be needed

I thought it was message board posters! :rolleyes:

Cornell did this a few years ago. It's p-envy.

Promenade envy?

And they named their promenade the "Ho Pavilion."

That is not a joke. Ho was the last name of the primary donor family. Unintentionally hilarious.

Colgate built a new science center with big money from a Ho family (same one? I don't know). One of our editors at the Maroon-News ran this headline for the story about the grand opening ceremony: 'Where My Ho At?'

The subtitle was something like 'Right Next to Olin Hall.'

It was fairly silly and sophomoric, but some groups of students pretty much lost their minds in righteous indignation. They sounded exactly like the kids writing about this SU proposal.

i would accept that pay to deal with them by building silly promenades through the wreckage of all the worthless departments whose professors will no longer be needed

I am enjoying your likely amusement at the fact that the only faculty member to sign that letter is a professor of Communications and Rhetorical Studies.

sounds like Rubin's preachy op-eds in the Sunday fish wrap. He's a douchey combo of Ivory tower and Manlius burbs. He makes the elevated highway seem like the Berlin Wall. The other side isn't much better. The northern burbs hotel owners would have you believe their neighborhoods will turn into a mad max post apocalyptic waste land if the elevated highway is torn down.
And this is why the state is looking hard at some sort of tunnel solution. It would be the slam-dunk political compromise to appease both groups, although I'm sure the liberals would still find things to complain about.

Looked at the list of professors who were against this. Some of the people on this board are delusional. A lot of those professors I know from my time at the university. The Newhouse School in particular. Many of them (before they became professors) were at the top of their chosen professions. People that ran major television/PR/Advertising companies. Some have MBA's. Some have a bachelor's degree, but because of their distinguished careers in the field, are teaching as they near retirement.

These people aren't "loser/ivory tower/hippy " (the general thought process of some on here). They are people who are incredibly smart, and also incredibly business savvy. The names I saw listed would give me pause to fine out more about why these people in particular were concerned with the plan. They aren't your typical PhD right to academia people. If they are concerned with the plan, I'd like to at least hear more about their reasoning, because some of it very well could be valid.

Knee jerk reaction on this board is sometimes just that, a knee jerk reaction.

Transmedia? What the hell is that?

I agree with tipphill, whenever a big project takes place on the hill it seems there is a group of disgruntled faculty that feels the need to complain. Seems to be a bunch of cry babies up there that feel they're more important than the rest of the SU community.
I get that they want to be heard, but: 1) there's a group with faculty representation that's been working on this from the get-go; 2) no one from the faculty (outside the committee) has uttered a peep in 18 months; and 3) bicycle access was the only recent complaint and they addressed it. Communication's important, but at some point you have to start digging.

Last edited: