OL Airon Servais is returning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OL Airon Servais is returning

Not necessarily. Servais will either land at C or OT. Both he and Bergeron are coming back, so if he's a tackle, we're set -- need to find a center.

If he plays at C, then OT is what we need to find via transfer / portal.
When he lost weight he had a problem at center, but as far as getting the ball to TD he is better then Vetterello.

When he lost weight he had a problem at center, but as far as getting the ball to TD he is better then Vetterello.

Yeah -- because his body type has fluctuated between being big enough to anchor inside and being nimble enough to counter pass rush at LT. Big focus of the offseason needs to be identifying a "permanent" position for Servais, and keeping him there. If he is going to play center, then he is a better shotgun snapper than Veterelo, but needs to bulk up. Agreed. If he stays at RT, then his body type needs to stay more lean so he is lighter on his feet.

Edit-- OL interior could be a strength, if Bleich and Dakota come back healthy. Tisdale also in the mix there, along with Vet. If Servais plays C, then there's your interior 3.

If he shifts out to OT, then I'd be fine with them looking for a C via transfer if for no other reason than to challenge Vet, the incumbent starter.

Last edited:
With this news, and Bleich in the mix, the OL is no longer big transfer need. Obviously could use a NT, the best available slot receiver, and a safety with some size. A dual QB might be too much to expect, but that would be the biggest uplift to our chances.

Great news. Also increases the odds of redshirting the entire incoming freshman OL class. If most of that group pans out/is developed, that is a big part of the foundation for being "consistently good" going forward.

Excellent news and an excellent statement. Love that a lot of these kids are coming back. Anxiously awaiting word on Bear. My guess is he returns.

Glad he's back. This is bigs news. I expect a better version of Airon next year. What's more important is the leadership he will provide in the off season. I imagine he will get guys together for player only meetings and workouts. Its gonna take that to get things right and he knows that.

Last edited:
Yeah -- because his body type has fluctuated between being big enough to anchor inside and being nimble enough to counter pass rush at LT. Big focus of the offseason needs to be identifying a "permanent" position for Servais, and keeping him there. If he is going to play center, then he is a better shotgun snapper than Veterelo, but needs to bulk up. Agreed. If he stays at RT, then his body type needs to stay more lean so he is lighter on his feet.

Edit-- OL interior could be a strength, if Bleich and Dakota come back healthy. Tisdale also in the mix there, along with Vet. If Servais plays C, then there's your interior 3.

If he shifts out to OT, then I'd be fine with them looking for a C via transfer if for no other reason than to challenge Vet, the incumbent starter.
Bringing Servais back is great news! Get healthy big man!

I wouldn't count out Llaoa at Center next year. But I still think we need to take at least either a starting caliber Center or Tackle from the transfer portal. While we have some guys that are good enough to play, that doesn't mean they are great at this point. We can get better. And having the same number of players as the 2020 season obviously wasn't enough. Sure we add Bleich, which is fantastic, but we were close to not having enough guys on the roster that were capable of playing. This obviously means we need more depth and I certainly don't think we want to count on the Frosh to be ready to step in. Injuries happen ALL THE TIME, and we need to be ready to fill those spots.

Bringing Servais back is great news! Get healthy big man!

I wouldn't count out Llaoa at Center next year. But I still think we need to take at least either a starting caliber Center or Tackle from the transfer portal. While we have some guys that are good enough to play, that doesn't mean they are great at this point. We can get better. And having the same number of players as the 2020 season obviously wasn't enough. Sure we add Bleich, which is fantastic, but we were close to not having enough guys on the roster that were capable of playing. This obviously means we need more depth and I certainly don't think we want to count on the Frosh to be ready to step in. Injuries happen ALL THE TIME, and we need to be ready to fill those spots.

Forgot Ilaloa -- thank you.

I keep seeing the Center position and think about what could have been with Tyrone Sampson. He'd probably be our starting C for the next 3 seasons. Crappy situation and from a discipline situation you have to have standards but just another event that really hurt the overall quality and depth of our OL.

This is unexpected but really good.
The OL needs depth so they’re not forced to constantly play guys who are already dealing with injuries.

If things keep going the way they are, our defense and starting OL will be the strengths of our team. Two things needed for success.
1607542484892.png

Honestly - with unrestricted free agency this year - we'd be crazy to sign any more HS kids.
Dino needs to WIN NOW.
We all agree that '21 is a make or break season for him.

He's going to have the best chance of impact players, by taking guys who have several years college experience, over guys fresh out of HS, who may not have even played at all this year.
Especially since the biggest needs are OL and DT and QB.

I don't agree that '21 is make or break and I think he coaches through '22 and even into '23 barring a 1 or 2 win season. Quick fixes are great as long as they are actually quick fixes and make an immediate impact.

Being that I'm in it for the long haul if I can grab a blue chip level AList HS kid that's probably what I'm going to do.

HUGE!

Next year’s starting oline will consist of 4 returning starters (Servais, Davis, Veterello, Bergeron) that have played together for past 2-3 years. That’s an experienced group that has good chemistry already. Throw in Bleich and that is looking like a helluva of an oline. On level with 2018, IMO. Staying healthy will be key, but looking like with the injured guys coming back next year , there will be some good depth too.

All these players opting to return next year, should put to bed the “players don’t like to play for Dino” nonsense.

HUGE!

Next year’s starting oline will consist of 4 returning starters (Servais, Davis, Veterello, Bergeron) that have played together for past 2-3 years. That’s an experienced group that has good chemistry already. Throw in Bleich and that is looking like a helluva of an oline. On level with 2018, IMO. Staying healthy will be key, but looking like with the injured guys coming back next year , there will be some good depth too.

All these players opting to return next year, should put to bed the “players don’t like to play for Dino” nonsense.

I think a big source of that "people don't like to play for Dino" garbage was one player whose Mommy ran to twitter to complain about playing time.

HUGE!

That line plus experienced, young depth

If things keep going the way they are, our defense and starting OL will be the strengths of our team. Two things needed for success.
Ehhh...I don't know if I would go as far to say strength of our team just yet but would agree that returning seniors can help turn the ship. Only with proper dedication to S&C can they be team strengths. ;) it will be interesting to see if a decision with Coach Cav happens before signing day or Christmas. Again no matter what I would see it as a great outcome for Cav if he is retained in some capacity given his family situation.

As others have said they need to decide now what position Servais is going to play (C or RT) and keep him there. Then find your transfer to fill the gap where Servais won't be.

As others have said they need to decide now what position Servais is going to play (C or RT) and keep him there. Then find your transfer to fill the gap where Servais won't be.

Agreed. I think that a healthy Servais is a good Tackle, and that we need a legit C, not a guy we converted.
Have the converted guy be the backup.

That's like JB always looking for a SG who he can mold into a PG.
Sometimes it works - MCW.
Sometimes it doesn't - Kaleb, Frank, Jalen

We need a legit 2-deep for the entire OL, and not one that has 1-2 guys as the backups for every position.

That way, all of the incoming OL can RS next year, and THAT is how you build sustainable depth there.

I would much rather find an outside WR , I think we have 2-3 options in the slot between harris/jackson/jordan and the kids we havent seen yet..

I also think the Oline having so many issues made the QB issue worse than it would have seemed.

Agreed. I think that a healthy Servais is a good Tackle, and that we need a legit C, not a guy we converted.
Have the converted guy be the backup.

That's like JB always looking for a SG who he can mold into a PG.
Sometimes it works - MCW.
Sometimes it doesn't - Kaleb, Frank, Jalen

We need a legit 2-deep for the entire OL, and not one that has 1-2 guys as the backups for every position.

That way, all of the incoming OL can RS next year, and THAT is how you build sustainable depth there.

2nd unit could consist of Tisdale [who started 8 games this year], Iloloa, Froumy, Red. That's a good starting point. Then, introduce any transfers, any frosh who might be capable of cracking the two deep, and depth might finally be rectified.

I'm gonna be a wet blanket here but, as happy as I am to see a lot of experience back for next year, these are the same players who also get penalized a lot and, for the last two years, don't start to play well until half the season is done. It's been a particularly bad couple seasons for the OL and the coach needs to bear a lot of a responsibility here.

Last edited:
HUGE!

[/QUOTE
Veterello can't be the center, for 2 years he has been putting the snap on the ground too many times. If he starts it needs to be somewhat else on the line. Bad snaps get the play blown up before it starts.

This kid seems to bleed orange. Love that he’s coming back and fired up. Offensive line has a hit to be good if healthy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom