OL Airon Servais is returning | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OL Airon Servais is returning

Just my opinion, but two seasons in a row where the OL doesn't gel until the second half of the season is a problem. COVID was part of the issue for this year. I'm just really worried that we're going to see a repeat of the last two seasons unless a change is made.
I’m admittedly a hopeless optimist, but last year was thrown off track with Heckel’s dq, forcing Servais back to center after he spent the entire offseason prepping to play tackle, by the failed Grad transfer experiment and by Vetterello being pushed on the field before he was ready. Once the line gelled it played very well. This year was a mix of things that I detailed in my previous post, but I don’t think we were physically ready to play and lack of a conditioning program led to injuries and no depth. In both cases the unit closed the year playing its best. Not a popular opinion but that, to me, seems to be a credit to coaching. Again, this spring and offseason are critical, but I expect the OL to be representative of the entire team and we will be much stronger out of the gate with improved depth and a physical presence.

Devils advocate. That's what we said, last year. With the same personnel vs NC state? We ran for 3 yards. 9 feet. 108 inches. Just over 4 inches per carry, on 25 attempts. 4 inches per carry. Is that a record?
This hurts to read for so many reasons

I’m admittedly a hopeless optimist, but last year was thrown off track with Heckel’s dq, forcing Servais back to center after he spent the entire offseason prepping to play tackle, by the failed Grad transfer experiment and by Vetterello being pushed on the field before he was ready. Once the line gelled it played very well. This year was a mix of things that I detailed in my previous post, but I don’t think we were physically ready to play and lack of a conditioning program led to injuries and no depth. In both cases the unit closed the year playing its best. Not a popular opinion but that, to me, seems to be a credit to coaching. Again, this spring and offseason are critical, but I expect the OL to be representative of the entire team and we will be much stronger out of the gate with improved depth and a physical presence.

Now that the season is over, I feel the same way.

I’ve had time to heal now

It is all good.

Interesting that Airon would prefer to move back to center. Would not have guessed that.

I think Servais would help a lot if he moved back to center, he's our most experienced O-lineman and can provide toughness and leadership, not to mention he has played center in this scheme before. He's not athletic enough to play Tackle at a high level at the ACC IMO, but he can help provide stability at center especially with guys coming back from significant injuries.

I think Servais would help a lot if he moved back to center, he's our most experienced O-lineman and can provide toughness and leadership, not to mention he has played center in this scheme before. He's not athletic enough to play Tackle at a high level at the ACC IMO, but he can help provide stability at center especially with guys coming back from significant injuries.
When he isn’t trying to play on a severely sprained ankle, I think Airon is probably our most agile and athletic lineman. That is his strong point.

I think his weakness is his brute strength. He isn’t super strong, and can get overpowered at times by bigger defensive linemen. I think his skill set is a lot more suited to playing OT than C. He was abused all the time and spent a lot of time 3 or 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he played center.

That said, if memory serves, Servais lost a bunch of weight the summer before he was moved from C to OT, so he could be as agile as possible. When Heckel went down and he was moved back inside, he was in the 270-275 range I think, and perhaps a lot of his struggles at center were a result of this.

Unless we find or magically develop another OT between now and the start of the season, I think this is a moot point. I think moving him inside will really make us weaker at OT and frankly, I suspect he would be a significant downgrade over Froumy at C.

I agree OT is a need in the portal but so is center. I’m not sold on veterello or servais at center. Center is really a skill position on the line. Call adjustments, be able to block and open holes and also have the ability to snap the ball with proficiency. I cannot actually remember the last time we recruited a true center that made it to campus.

Always listen to the little voice in your head...or maybe not. ;)
tumblr_inline_o5bx7iPymx1t0ijhl_1280.jpg

When he isn’t trying to play on a severely sprained ankle, I think Airon is probably our most agile and athletic lineman. That is his strong point.

I think his weakness is his brute strength. He isn’t super strong, and can get overpowered at times by bigger defensive linemen. I think his skill set is a lot more suited to playing OT than C. He was abused all the time and spent a lot of time 3 or 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he played center.

That said, if memory serves, Servais lost a bunch of weight the summer before he was moved from C to OT, so he could be as agile as possible. When Heckel went down and he was moved back inside, he was in the 270-275 range I think, and perhaps a lot of his struggles at center were a result of this.

Unless we find or magically develop another OT between now and the start of the season, I think this is a moot point. I think moving him inside will really make us weaker at OT and frankly, I suspect he would be a significant downgrade over Froumy at C.

Strength is also an issue for Servais and you're right, he was not playing at 100% at all last year. But I thought he really struggled against athletic rushers even early in the season, the Pitt game in particular stood out to me on rewatch.

And that is correct, I believe he dropped down to around ~280 to transition to Tackle. But Servais did start a lot at Center in 2017 and 2018 when the line was better overall than these past two seasons.

I think the final piece we need is getting the Texas transfer, he looks ready to compete for playing time at Tackle. It will be interesting once Spring Ball starts and seeing who lines up where and how ready guys like Red and Froumy will be.

Strength is also an issue for Servais and you're right, he was not playing at 100% at all last year. But I thought he really struggled against athletic rushers even early in the season, the Pitt game in particular stood out to me on rewatch.

And that is correct, I believe he dropped down to around ~280 to transition to Tackle. But Servais did start a lot at Center in 2017 and 2018 when the line was better overall than these past two seasons.

I think the final piece we need is getting the Texas transfer, he looks ready to compete for playing time at Tackle. It will be interesting once Spring Ball starts and seeing who lines up where and how ready guys like Red and Froumy will be.
For the season ending injury guys. Dino said those guys had a completely stagnant year. No spring, no fall, no growth. Maybe they woulda, shoulda, coulda, been ready. I guess we'll see.

...if Froumy is ready to take the next step...

Which I'm starting to believe that he is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom