Oladipo guarding MCW... | Syracusefan.com

Oladipo guarding MCW...

Cuse_1999

2nd String
In other threads it seems the prevailing theme is that Oladipo will guard MCW. Not sure this will be the case. That would leave one of their tiny guards on Triche and the other tiny one would either have to guard Fair or James.

No way in hell they would put one of them on Fair. I guess they could try it on James since he doesn't have a back to the basket game, but he would be able to shoot right over the top. I expect to see Oladipo on Fair...at least when Hulls and Yogi are on the court together.

In other threads it seems the prevailing theme is that Oladipo will guard MCW. Not sure this will be the case. That would leave one of their tiny guards on Triche and the other tiny one would either have to guard Fair or James.

No way in hell they would put one of them on Fair. I guess they could try it on James since he doesn't have a back to the basket game, but he would be able to shoot right over the top. I expect to see Oladipo on Fair...at least when Hulls and Yogi are on the court together.

This is a great point! I really like our size advantage in this game. Their guards are small and not lighting quick like Uconn or Louisville. I think the match-ups favor us

I agree with your premise [thought the same thing when I read the threads about this same topic yesterday], but my guess is that they'll put Oladipo on Southerland to take away his open perimeter looks.

Oladipo guards James. They really don't have a choice, and they know, as other teams have found out that if you take away the 1 consistent outside threat for SU, we can struggle to score. If James sits out, he would move to CJ, and hopefully with so much responsibility on his shoulders, O tires and loses his jump shot with about 10 minutes to go. I see a similar game to the way Temple unfolded, with more balanced scoring from SU, and it will come down to who can execute and make FTs down the stretch the same way.

Oladipo guards James. They really don't have a choice, and they know, as other teams have found out that if you take away the 1 consistent outside threat for SU, we can struggle to score. If James sits out, he would move to CJ, and hopefully with so much responsibility on his shoulders, O tires and loses his jump shot with about 10 minutes to go. I see a similar game to the way Temple unfolded, with more balanced scoring from SU, and it will come down to who can execute and make FTs down the stretch the same way.

I don't think you put Oladipo on James. James can't dribble and he can shoot over Oladipo so it's kinda a waste of your best on the ball defender. I'm starting to think they will zone us because they don't have good man to man options.

I agree with your premise [thought the same thing when I read the threads about this same topic yesterday], but my guess is that they'll put Oladipo on Southerland to take away his open perimeter looks.

No doubt. I thought the same thing last night when looking at their lineup. Brandon is the wild card IMO in this game as he should have Farrell or Hulls on him which he can certainly exploit.

I don't think you put Oladipo on James. James can't dribble and he can shoot over Oladipo so it's kinda a waste of your best on the ball defender. I'm starting to think they will zone us because they don't have good man to man options.
have they played any zone this year? I am not sure how they have mixed up their D, and I thought Crean, as with most of the B1G used primarily man. Nothing to get your offense going like an old fashioned, exploitable M2M D.

Odalipo is like 6'4 isn't he? Why waste him on Southerland? He menaces ballhandlers and is great at cutting off penetration, not sure it makes sense for them to put him on Southerland.

I think Sheehey plays a lot, they can't really afford both Hulls and Ferrell in together for extended stretches.

Watford on Southerland makes sense, but then who guards Fair?

Zeller will obviously have to guard the 5.

Outside of Oladipo and Zeller, they have major match up issues if they go m2m. I doubt Watford is athletic enough to chase James around but he's going to have to. That leaves Oladipo to guard one of Fair, MCW, Triche leaving Farrel, Hull, Sheehey to guard the other two...major issues for them. They're inability to match our size also takes away a major strength of theirs which is playing Hulls, Farrell and Sheehey major minutes to spread the floor. You can't put a team of little people out there against us. On every possesson 2 of our players should have major advantages. If they zone us, it's not a L'Ville zone, I think we've turned the corner on attacking zones especially zones by teams who never play zone and have 6'2 players on the perimeter.

I think JS's 5 inch (or so) height advantage would negate VO fairly easily. All he does is catch and shoot.

Outside of Oladipo and Zeller, they have major match up issues if they go m2m. I doubt Watford is athletic enough to chase James around but he's going to have to. That leaves Oladipo to guard one of Fair, MCW, Triche leaving Farrel, Hull, Sheehey to guard the other two...major issues for them. They're inability to match our size also takes away a major strength of theirs which is playing Hulls, Farrell and Sheehey major minutes to spread the floor. You can't put a team of little people out there against us. On every possesson 2 of our players should have major advantages. If they zone us, it's not a L'Ville zone, I think we've turned the corner on attacking zones especially zones by teams who never play zone and have 6'2 players on the perimeter.
Louisville matches up well against us too. Their guards are smaller (like IU), but they are really good defenders, plus they have massive size across their front line and can bring equally big guys off the bench. Not to mention Hancock would play the 2 sometimes and he's like 6'7.

Odalipo is like 6'4 isn't he? Why waste him on Southerland? He menaces ballhandlers and is great at cutting off penetration, not sure it makes sense for them to put him on Southerland.

I think Sheehey plays a lot, they can't really afford both Hulls and Ferrell in together for extended stretches.

Watford on Southerland makes sense, but then who guards Fair?

Zeller will obviously have to guard the 5.
MCW-Oladipo
Triche-Hulls/Farrel
Fair-Sheehey
Southerland-Watford
Rak/Keita-Zeller

Triche and Fair should dominate. Well see if Watford can chase around and rebound with James.

Yup, it will be irresistible for Crean to want to take Southerland out of the equation. The small guards will try to harass MCW and Triche and keep MCW from getting to the rim. Fair will have to do what Fair does best, namely get every rebound he can, get every garbage basket he can, hit every 15-footer he is given.

I think JS's 5 inch (or so) height advantage would negate VO fairly easily. All he does is catch and shoot.

The key with Southerland is to face guard him--that's when he struggles.

Doesn't mean that JS won't get his shot off, that he won't get looks, etc. but that's on paper the way to take away his effectiveness.

MCW-Oladipo
Triche-Hulls/Farrel
Fair-Sheehey
Southerland-Watford
Rak/Keita-Zeller

Triche and Fair should dominate. Well see if Watford can chase around and rebound with James.

I think that this is the most logical M2M matchup. We have major advantages. As you said, Brandon and CJ could absolutely dominate those guys..

That is why I think they will mix in zone. They need to play both guards to be really effective on offense. I think they will try to hide their size in a zone and pack it in. Basically, make us, make jump shots.

have they played any zone this year? I am not sure how they have mixed up their D, and I thought Crean, as with most of the B1G used primarily man. Nothing to get your offense going like an old fashioned, exploitable M2M D.

My understanding is they have played some zone this year but it was a very effective zone.

My understanding is they have played some zone this year but it was a very effective zone.

Was effective? From what I have saw/been told their zone is lackluster.

I think that this is the most logical M2M matchup. We have major advantages. As you said, Brandon and CJ could absolutely dominate those guys..

That is why I think they will mix in zone. They need to play both guards to be really effective on offense. I think they will try to hide their size in a zone and pack it in. Basically, make us, make jump shots.

I hear you, but we're at our best when MCW is not necessarily scoring first, but facilitating the offense for others. He'll have his hands full--no doubt--but our real key scoring guys are Southerland, Fair, and Triche. I'd be surprised if Oladipo isn't guarding one of them.

If you disrupt MCW the entire offense falls apart. So they start out with VO on MCW IMO if they play m-2-m. Sheehey will play Southerland and chase him around. Watford is too slow to chase James around plus IU will want him in the paint on the boards. Watford probably gets CJ but it wouldn't surprise me to see Zeller on Fair at times. Our centers don't score much and aren't going to hurt you...usually. I think SU can win this game IF BT and MCW play really well. BT has got to score meaning shoot well. If he has one of his 2-12 games we're done. And MCW has to get to the rim and finish and draw fouls. IU's bench is thin. SU historically plays well in the underdog role. There is no pressure on SU this game...it's all on IU. Nobody in the media is giving SU any chance here and I think the team will feed off that lack of respect.

If you disrupt MCW the entire offense falls apart. So they start out with VO on MCW IMO if they play m-2-m. Sheehey will play Southerland and chase him around. Watford is too slow to chase James around plus IU will want him in the paint on the boards. Watford probably gets CJ but it wouldn't surprise me to see Zeller on Fair at times. Our centers don't score much and aren't going to hurt you...usually. I think SU can win this game IF BT and MCW play really well. BT has got to score meaning shoot well. If he has one of his 2-12 games we're done. And MCW has to get to the rim and finish and draw fouls. IU's bench is thin. SU historically plays well in the underdog role. There is no pressure on SU this game...it's all on IU. Nobody in the media is giving SU any chance here and I think the team will feed off that lack of respect.

Agree. You guys are smoking dope if you think they'd waste the Naismith POY guarding a streaky catch and shoot guy. You absolutely harrass the poop out of MCW until he starts making bad decisions. And you win. Period. That is the game plan. Takes 10 minutes to work that out and the rest of the week you work on scoring against the zone.

This will most certainly be a game in which MCW gets to prove he is ready for the next level. Good or bad, he is the head of the SU snake. I think Triche should be prepared to run point, at least in spots. I expect the defense to be good. IMO, we need to shoot 40% + and at least close to 30% from three. We will also need them to turn it over more than us. If we allow them to out rebound us, we are also in trouble. We can do all these things. Time for a "Sherm length of court hike to Stevie for the dunk 50 point beat down" type game. That was unexpected, too.

Agree. You guys are smoking dope if you think they'd waste the Naismith POY guarding a streaky catch and shoot guy. You absolutely harrass the poop out of MCW until he starts making bad decisions. And you win. Period. That is the game plan. Takes 10 minutes to work that out and the rest of the week you work on scoring against the zone.

agree 100%. id be very happy if oladipo guarded james

I don't know how IU guards CJ. Watford is a stick and a soft player, VO is tough, but too small, yet could at least stay in front of CJ on his drives, Sheehey would be hilarious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom