One of the worst officiated games I can remember | Syracusefan.com

One of the worst officiated games I can remember

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Just plain incompetence. Im not claiming some agenda against SU or coach or whatever. This was the blue meth of pure incompetence. These guys were just making up crap as they went along.

One of the most egregious miscarriages of justice in years was the foul called on Malachi along the corner in the second half when he was whistled for having an illegal pick set on him. The guy that called it was about 75 feet away while the closer ref called nothing.

Another blue ribbon contender was the lack of a call on the cross body block on Mal the last play of the game where Smith almost tied it. They call you for breathing and then they let THAT go?

Not to mention the What foul called on Mike G that gave Tech two FT to try and tie.

unreal they miss the eye poke on Gib they call the phantom foul on him and than on the last play our guy gets body blocked out of the way and it goes as a no call. Really bad i thought for a second that Froggy was back

Just plain incompetence. Im not claiming some agenda against SU or coach or whatever. This was the blue meth of pure incompetence. These guys were just making up crap as they went along.

One of the most egregious miscarriages of justice in years was the foul called on Malachi along the corner in the second half when he was whistled for having an illegal pick set on him. The guy that called it was about 75 feet away while the closer ref called nothing.

Another blue ribbon contender was the lack of a call on the cross body block on Mal the last play of the game where Smith almost tied it. They call you for breathing and then they let THAT go?

Not to mention the What foul called on Mike G that gave Tech two FT to try and tie.
I'll tell you what,the guy who called the foul on Mike that very well could have cost us that game should be looked at. After seeing no calls at the end of the Duke game with so much contact, to call a foul with two teams going for a ball with seconds left and NO( and I have looked at this like 6 times now to try and find SOMETHING)and I mean ZERO contact is criminal.

62480394.jpg

My favorite was the 20 minute intermission as they kept reviewing the most obvious play ever as G lays hurt on the other side of the court on a no call.

I was wondering how much longer they were going to let play go on while he was screaming in pain at the other end of the court.

i thought the worst thing they did was taking 10 minutes to figure out what to do about the lydon save to the backcourt. once the game stops, refs lose all sense of time. move it!

that call on gbinije with 6 seconds left in the game maybe the worst call I have EVER seen in college basketball given the circumstances up 2 with 6 seconds left and no contact whatsoever. It was as if he was saying I guess I will give them a chance to get to overtime for no reason whatsoever.

My favorite was the 20 minute intermission as they kept reviewing the most obvious play ever as G lays hurt on the other side of the court on a no call.

They weren't reviewing the call they were reviewing how to turn your head away from the game at the precise second to miss a fast break player getting clubbed in the face from a player 4 feet behind him.

They weren't reviewing the call they were reviewing how to turn your head away from the game at the precise second to miss a fast break player getting clubbed in the face from a player 4 feet behind him.

I've never seen a player with 4 foot-long arms. Crimoney, we bitch about the refs even when we win!

I've never seen a player with 4 foot-long arms. Crimoney, we bitch about the refs even when we win!
"We've got a ref. Can we burn him?"
"How do you know its a ref?"
"It looks like one." (then the game starts and we have to backtrack since he doesn't look like one any more)
I can't seem to help myself Cowtown ;). Fact is the arm may have been 5 or 6 feet long, maybe 7 even. However long is was, it was long enough to go from the defender's torso across B's face and B's eye socket. The ref was in perfect position to see it too. No congestion and nobody between him and the players involved. He was about 4 feet from them...well maybe it was 5 or 6 feet ...it may have been 7 feet actually. That would explain why it was out of his eyesight if it was a full 7 feet away. Just sayin...

It was definitely bad - DC gets called for relatively little contact in the post, 44 (white dude) on Ga Tech pretty much consider a shove a box out...never called. And Smith's only offensive move seems to be dribbling into the three point line, shoving the defender back on his heels with his off hand - and then pulling up. I can let that stuff go, but not with some of what they did consider fouls.

Well played, Paul. I'll get yer ass for that :cool:

I appreciate your point, and yes the ref missed it. When the play occurred live, I thought DC actually hit him in the face with the ball. The replay showed what actually happened. But consider the ref was caught out of position on the turnover (which happens to everyone, and believe me nothing will F you up more than a stupid turnover), and I think he got straight-lined on the actual foul. When you ref, "you don't get no replay." And I'm here to tell ya, the hand is quicker than the eye. Don't ever doubt that.

We're neither perfect nor infallible. What we can be is consistent, and believe me we try. But no ref, nor a team of three of 'em, can make a mutt into an afghan hound. That was a freaking dog of a game, and I mean a GD yellow cur. Both teams played like , and no one could change that. Except the players.

Last edited:
To the madding crowd: stop bitching and get out and ref games yourself. Join your local association, and write your exam - you won't get 50% on your first try, I guarantee that. Then learn your mechanics and positioning. And no, don't be expecting to do 3-man with the old fat slow guys right off the hop. Learn how to run and work hard doing two-man before you step up to the that level. Because you have no idea how fast happens at that level. Not a freaking iota. But I also guarantee you you'll love the challenge, because there's nothing more difficult you'll ever do in sport. That's why I do it. And if you can handle it, you'll really like doing something the rest of the basketball universe can't. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom