One thing about this team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One thing about this team

I feel like talking is more tolerable with good teams. Mediocre teams that trash talk all game long just come off as a holes, imo.
That said, Q has been my second favorite player this year (behind Dyaisha).
Maybe.

I loved Devo too, but guess how many NCAA tourney games he won in his years here?

I feel like they have focus/motivation problems. When they get embarrassed, they lock in and do the things they need to to win the next one. Then they get complacent and don’t put out the effort they need to for the next one.
Sadlyits cause they are young. These hard games makes them betterbye a ton.

There was a moment in the game when Copeland gets back on defense and just stands there jawing at his NC State counterpart. I mean he is talking trash and that’s all he is doing, completely drops any pretense of playing basketball. Then State tries to pass to the guy and Copeland steps in and picks it off.

He is a winner, the guy will do anything to get a bucket and win. Love his attitude and he seems to have a higher basketball IQ than most anyone else on the court. He’s always trying something. I don’t think this team works if everyone plays that game but Q has enough for the whole team

Quadir is so much fun to watch, and the effort he brings is infectious. He likes the flashy play a smidge too much, but he is also the toughest/least likely to back down guy out there. We've needed some toughness for a few years.

Quadir is so much fun to watch, and the effort he brings is infectious. He likes the flashy play a smidge too much, but he is also the toughest/least likely to back down guy out there. We've needed some toughness for a few years.
When I first saw his recruitment videos from IMG, I laughed and even posted that the kid was talented but he would drive JB crazy because he had a tendency to get so out of control. He could make some amazing moves but back then too often he was making easy plays much more difficult just for showmanship and too often it blew up on him. He still does that sometimes but thankfully he has curbed the quantity and hopefully working on making difficult plays look easy because of his talent instead of the other way around. He is fun to watch.

Fat boy was shoving Judah on drives all night
STATEWAKE14-022223-EDH.jpg
You damn right I was Brooky03

There was a moment in the game when Copeland gets back on defense and just stands there jawing at his NC State counterpart. I mean he is talking trash and that’s all he is doing, completely drops any pretense of playing basketball. Then State tries to pass to the guy and Copeland steps in and picks it off.

He is a winner, the guy will do anything to get a bucket and win. Love his attitude and he seems to have a higher basketball IQ than most anyone else on the court. He’s always trying something. I don’t think this team works if everyone plays that game but Q has enough for the whole team
While getting yelled at by the ref!

Youth is a problem, not as bad as rebounding, but an issue. Keep on mind that this is a young team with zero senior or grad level on court leadership. Heck, we don't have any juniors outside of Hima.
Come on, most of them are 27 games into their second full season of play at this level. This isn't about inexperience.

I think it is clear now that the offense needs to run through Q. Judah should still be an important secondary option but he is not the guy who should be running this team.

We are crappy when Judah runs things, dominates the ball and forces bad shots with little time on the clock. That works against Siena and Canisius but not against good defensive teams.

I think Q knew Judah tends to throw air balls short of the basket and intentionally set up there late in the game when Judah was in hero mode. He got two of them and converted them into desperately needed baskets.

Just about every big play that was made in the last 10 minutes was made by Q. On offense, on defense, rebounds. Even the excellent wolf signs he gave to his fans in the NC State student section while they were wishing him farewell after the game.

Props to the refs for calling the double technical on Horne and Q in the first half. They were about to get into a fight. The little weasel Horne would have gotten killed and Q would have been suspended the rest of the season.
Also please no more let JJ running the offense on and off. That was just a recipe for disaster in the second half.

Also please no more let JJ running the offense on and off. That was just a recipe for disaster in the second half.
The ball never leaves JJ’s hand, much like Mintz. Last night was the first time all year that JJ drove and passed to Copeland for a dunk. JJ is a black hole going to the basket. He has terrible court vision, just like when he couldn’t make two simple passes to the wing last night that turned into turnovers.

Copeland does crap basically after every good play he makes. Devo wasnt gesturing or dancing or barking to the crowd every time he made a layup.
Yes he was!! Yes he literally was!! Lol

I only want JJ running the offense when he's doing it well.
Whatever anyone wants about this team -- changes so much from game to game, or even from one half to the next.

The one consistent is that we struggle inside, on the boards and defending opposing bigs. There is only so much that Brown can do. The contributions from JJ, Mintz, Q, and Bell vary from game to game. Declarations after one game don't usually age well.

LOVE the passion Copeland plays with. Love him giving it back to the fans. That's what college basketball is all about.

I'll take those types of "antics" over pouting at the referee every day.
Unfortunately, I think they are related. They both stem from emotional maturity (or lack thereof).

And I just think (warning: shouting at the clouds here) that being overly emotional hinders this team more than it has helped. Let's also consider that they have no good upper classmen to model themselves after or keep them together.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion from anyone under the age of 35, and emotion certainly does have a place in sport, most especially college basketball and the teenagers and early 20-somethings that play it (sorry to exclude UNC and Jamie Dixon with that statement).

BUT ... that emotion is best utilized when it is channeled properly. Not toward refs who make bad calls or annoying fans/opponents. And, no, not all trash talking is automatically bad. But squawking at refs and loafing back on defense is. But it's easy to see that this team of ours gets easily distracted. It's now Red's burden and he's doing his darndest to get them aligned/balanced. He will get it right in time.

Admittedly, there are athletes and teams that are exceptions to this. But the vast, vast, vast majority of teams/players that succeed at the high levels are properly in synch with their emotional maturity.

Whatever anyone wants about this team -- changes so much from game to game, or even from one half to the next.

The one consistent is that we struggle inside, on the boards and defending opposing bigs. There is only so much that Brown can do. The contributions from JJ, Mintz, Q, and Bell vary from game to game. Declarations after one game don't usually age well.
That was kind of my point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom