One thing I'm looking forward to, Post-Boeheim | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One thing I'm looking forward to, Post-Boeheim

Watched a very good Oklahoma team last night lose in triple overtime to Kansas. People complain about SU's offense but every trip down the floor Oklahoma spread the court, and in isolation had their guards go one on one to the basket and either shoot or pass out. The other option was pick and roll. Have to admit, they had better one on one guys than SU.

Watched a very good Oklahoma team last night lose in triple overtime to Kansas. People complain about SU's offense but every trip down the floor Oklahoma spread the court, and in isolation had their guards go one on one to the basket and either shoot or pass out. The other option was pick and roll. Have to admit, they had better one on one guys than SU.

Yes, when it comes down to it, it seems like the good teams have those players and you need those players. That Grayson Allen last year in the title game, those Oklahoma guys, a Cat Barber, Napier/Boatwright for UConn, etc. etc. etc.

Coach D'Antoni breaks this play down nicely here. Unfortunately, this year's squad doesn't often have the personnel on the floor to run this set effectively. This play would either require Tyler Roberson to be on the bench with Lydon playing the 4, or Roberson would need to be at the 5 with Lydon at the 4. The former lineup only happens occasionally for short stretches. In the latter, Roberson has not proven to be an effective "roll" player, and he's an even less effective "pop" player. Consequently, teams don't have to commit much help to stop him. Watch how Charlotte surrounds the lane with help to take away Amare. Roberson doesn't command that attention. Sadly, he often rushes and doesn't execute when he gets scoring opportunities, partly because he lacks fundamental skills.

More to the point, though, D'Antoni identifies spacing as the key element here, but Syracuse's offense often lacks that. Once the team exhausts the initial option in the half-court offense (whether that be a pick-and-roll, a double-fist, power down screens, etc.), it just flows into a series of random pick-and-rolls, regardless of who the ball handler is and what the spacing off the ball looks like. Part of the problem is that the ball handlers don't allow proper spacing because they rush to use the ball-screen action instead of waiting for the play to develop.

One thing this video doesn't address is that the NBA three-point arc and wider lane naturally allow for better spacing. Defenders are taught to help with one foot in the lane. The wider lane allows more driving space for offensive players because those feet are further out to start. Furthermore, the three-point arc permits NBA teams that can spread the floor with shooters to make opponents pay for helping too much on drives or doubling in the post without needing much off-the-ball movement.

Charlotte's players actually take away Felton's drive in the video, but they leave three shooters open in doing so. Notice how deep Wilson Chandler's defender needs to be to help--his left foot is inside the college lane. The play design does what it should. Felton makes a poor read, despite D'Antoni's rationalizing the shot he takes. As the ball handler, he is the primary scoring option in the set, but his teammates--especially Chandler (there is no way his defender can get back out to him at the NBA three-point arc from that distance)--have better looks based on how Charlotte played the ball screen. Felton must make the proper decision. Instead, he plays right into what the defense wants. Unfortunately, Gbinije and Richardson often make the same mistake.

College defenses can commit to helping more easily because the narrow lane makes it simpler to have a foot in the paint and defend the rim, creating less driving space, while the closer arc makes it less demanding to recover to shooters. These aspects lessen the threat of the drive by the ball handler. A good defender can help his teammates stop dribble penetration and then close out to his own man if the ball is passed.

That's a key reason why sound college offenses include more off-the-ball movement than many NBA sets; such movement makes it more difficult for help defenders to plant themselves in the lane and recover to their own assignments to challenge shots. Regrettably, SU's players rarely screen off the ball unless it is part of the initial option, and they rarely cut to the basket to take advantage of defensive overplays. To be fair, they occasionally fade to the corners for three-point looks, but that is the extent of the off-the-ball action. Hence, the Orange(men) are easier to defend in the half court than they could be.

Bingo. Bingo. And Bingo.

After the 34-3 season, our transition game has fallen off a cliff. We relied on that to cushion what has always been an adequate-at-best half-court offense in our better years (sans 2009-10). So the question is why?

Recruiting -- since Waiters, MCW and Triche departed we have had nobody that can really push the ball and/or be a threat to finish at the basket in transition. It's been about a 4-year stretch of complete impotence and it's been brutal. I think deep down JB would like to resurrect this part of the game but you'll have to ask him exactly what he's prioritizing these days. Just how much is his zone infatuation blinding him to other needs? I get sick of seeing us grab a rebound and be virtually no threat to attack and find easy points.

The only other variable that coincides with the transition dropoff is the switch to using the zone exclusively. Maybe the worst thing that could have happened in this regard was having perhaps our greatest offensive balance in the year that JB decided to mothball all traces of m2m. In JB's mind that probably cemented and validated the decision to go all-zone, 24/7, when in fact I think most concede that year was a byproduct of a once-in-a-generation confluence of offensive balance. I think recruiting is the biggest factor as I led with earlier... but it certainly hasn't helped when the rest of college basketball has been content to slow the pace of the game and use the entire shot clock.
You keep trying to tie every problem into your anti-zone agenda. KJ2, Cooney, and DC2 are not zone recruits. They were brought in, mostly, for their offensive potential.

You keep trying to tie every problem into your anti-zone agenda. KJ2, Cooney, and DC2 are not zone recruits. They were brought in, mostly, for their offensive potential.
Disagree on KJ2. He's a SG that we're trying to shoehorn as PG... and I think it's at least partly because they liked his size and length compared to the other highly rated kids that were 5'10", 6'1" etc. They probably bring measuring tapes on those recruiting trips.

Disagree on KJ2. He's a SG that we're trying to shoehorn as PG... and I think it's at least partly because they liked his size and length compared to the other highly rated kids that were 5'10", 6'1" etc. They probably bring measuring tapes on those recruiting trips.

And yet, the "other" guy we were recruiting at PG that year was Ja'Quan Newton who ended up at Miami. He's 6-4. So much for that talking point.

KJ2 and offense should never be used in the same sentence, offensive maybe but never offense

id like to see hop take his thumb out of his arse, his head out of his hand, to put on a suit and stand the and coach.

and sit the F in 'Boeheims' chair. enough, we get it.

youve blown a chance to make a good impression in the 1st 8 games, lets try and do so for the 9th.

or their shouldnt be a 10th whenever...

Battle? He's not a PG. If everyone does stay, next season could be a weird roster. If Howard plays PG next to Battle, then MR stays at SF. That creates a 3-way logjam at PF for a senior, a talented SO, and a frosh who is likely promised a starting spot (per one of Jake's posts). Not counting the potential addition of Thompson. If Battle plays PG and MR is at the other G spot, there's no SF and, again, 4 PFs. Although, I guess Moyer could slide into SF. That's a 6'8", 7'2", 6'10" front court with a 6'6", 6'6" back court. The height is nice. Depends on what shakes out over the summer I guess.

Battle will be the starting PG. I think that puts Richardson solidly in the starting SG spot and Lydon will likely get the start at SF, which is the more natural fit for him anyway. Howard is interchangeable at PG and SG and Moyer is good to go at SF or PF. Factor in Coleman or maybe another big man recruit to backup Chukwu and we're 8 deep with a bunch of versatile players who can play 2 or 3 positions each. 8 is within Boeheim's comfort zone, so next year's roster is looking really really nice. I don't know if we're going to be better on offense or not, but I know we'll have more talent at at least two positions and I expect the team to get into transition much more often. Battle was built to run fastbreaks and Howard looks pretty good at it too, in limited run.

Battle will be the starting PG. I think that puts Richardson solidly in the starting SG spot and Lydon will likely get the start at SF, which is the more natural fit for him anyway. Howard is interchangeable at PG and SG and Moyer is good to go at SF or PF. Factor in Coleman or maybe another big man recruit to backup Chukwu and we're 8 deep with a bunch of versatile players who can play 2 or 3 positions each. 8 is within Boeheim's comfort zone, so next year's roster is looking really really nice. I don't know if we're going to be better on offense or not, but I know we'll have more talent at at least two positions and I expect the team to get into transition much more often. Battle was built to run fastbreaks and Howard looks pretty good at it too, in limited run.
Perhaps the most important part of next year's configuration is Lydon getting big minutes at forward - instead of limited minutes at center. Also, Mal playing his natural position at the 2 will pay dividends.
I, like many others, do wonder if the offense will function well with Battle at the point - I've got the feeling things will flow more efficiently when FH is running the offense and Battle is off the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom