One Thing To Remember After Today's Loss... | Syracusefan.com

One Thing To Remember After Today's Loss...

NYCorange

2nd String
Consider how much different this team would likely look with CMac manning the 4 or 5 instead of Roberson or Coleman.

This has been a really tough stretch for SU BB. And certainly the coaches have some of the blame. Joseph, BJ, Patterson, (and even Roberson) have all been partial or complete busts. That said, the coaching staff has had some VERY unexpected defections. MCW was a somewhat predictable loss before the season--everyone knew that he had talent, and 5 games into his sophomore season, it was clear he was gone. Grant was a tougher one on the staff--he'd be a senior now--and while he clearly had potential, it wasn't always for sure that he was gone. Cmac was predictable before the season, but his injury made it likely that he'd stay--and if it wasn't for his kid, he probably would have. And finally Ennis was by far the most unexpected, and the most difficult to handle.

Imagine how much better we'd be if any of those last 3 stay. It's just hard to overcome 3 guys like that leaving, especially with this terrible timing. It's just incredibly unlucky. We have a tough road ahead--and it might even be tough for a few more years, but I have confidence in the staff that we'll be back to our normal heights eventually. As long as we have the fan base and the dome, we'll have too much potential to stay down.

CMac was always supposed to be a one and done -- so while the injury could have been a "blessing" for us, he wasn't really in the cards for this year to begin with. Not having Diagne, who I felt would have still had ups and downs here as a freshman certainly hurt the front court depth. Grant wouldn't have been here his senior year and Ennis would have been gone after last year. So besides Diagne, this team likely would have looked very similar. Now last year, a team with Ennis, Grant and Christmas - assuming Cmac didn't get hurt -- would have been something to watch

OrangeXtreme said:
CMac isn't expected to be able to play until after the NBA All-Star break. If he stayed, SU wouldn't look much different right now.

Literally yes, but not sure that was the point. My read of the OP was that there are a few players who left who would be contributing right now.

44cuse

Our 5th year starters, G and Cooney, aren't exactly lighting up the place.

One thing is for sure, this is the first basketball team SU in a long while that doesn't have anyone clearly draftable at the end of the year.

Literally yes, but not sure that was the point. My read of the OP was that there are a few players who left who would be contributing right now.

44cuse

Every
single
program
worth
a
dang
has
this
issue

Consider how much different this team would likely look with CMac manning the 4 or 5 instead of Roberson or Coleman.

This has been a really tough stretch for SU BB. And certainly the coaches have some of the blame. Joseph, BJ, Patterson, (and even Roberson) have all been partial or complete busts. That said, the coaching staff has had some VERY unexpected defections. MCW was a somewhat predictable loss before the season--everyone knew that he had talent, and 5 games into his sophomore season, it was clear he was gone. Grant was a tougher one on the staff--he'd be a senior now--and while he clearly had potential, it wasn't always for sure that he was gone. Cmac was predictable before the season, but his injury made it likely that he'd stay--and if it wasn't for his kid, he probably would have. And finally Ennis was by far the most unexpected, and the most difficult to handle.

Imagine how much better we'd be if any of those last 3 stay. It's just hard to overcome 3 guys like that leaving, especially with this terrible timing. It's just incredibly unlucky. We have a tough road ahead--and it might even be tough for a few more years, but I have confidence in the staff that we'll be back to our normal heights eventually. As long as we have the fan base and the dome, we'll have too much potential to stay down.

Mccullough would prob just have started playing recently (acl) but with Ennis on this team we are probably undefeated and are looking at a 1 seed as Mccullough gets back into the flow of things. No way Grant would have made it to Sr year.

But we dont.

CMac was always supposed to be a one and done -- so while the injury could have been a "blessing" for us, he wasn't really in the cards for this year to begin with. Not having Diagne, who I felt would have still had ups and downs here as a freshman certainly hurt the front court depth. Grant wouldn't have been here his senior year and Ennis would have been gone after last year. So besides Diagne, this team likely would have looked very similar. Now last year, a team with Ennis, Grant and Christmas - assuming Cmac didn't get hurt -- would have been something to watch

even with Cmac getting hurt, that team is a 1 or 2 seed at worst.

Cooney is a pretty damn good legit 4th option. And he makes everyones life a little easier because no one leave Cooney defensively for any reason.

Yeah, was there anyone that didn't think he was one-and-done. It seemed like a well-known secret before he played in his first game.

I think they are taking him VEEEERRRRRY slowly on purpose. IIRC, they called this his "redshirt year" shortly after the draft.

They have no reason to hold him out to tank, since they don't own their own draft pick this year.

Not sure why you would assume they would be anything but properly cautious with his rehab and return, just, as I hope, Syracuse would be if he were still here.

Great post! Imo you have hit the nail on the head. Any program that hits a slightly tough stretch or drop off, its probably more than one factor. And you touched on two of them. One yes i dont think the coaching staff could have been expected to anticipate the loss of Grant, Ennis and Diagne/Bryant. But then you add in that we have a few young men (i wont give my opinion on who they are as they are probably great young men but we can all see whats going on) that are coming in that arent living up to their reps and more importantly just arent overacheiving in their college careers, for whatever reason, some of them prob have good excuses for not Overacheiving. Then you throw in the ncaa investigation. It adds up. A lot goes on to win at the highest level, you need to recruit at the highest level, the coaches need to develop these kids and you need some level of overacheivement, the pieces need to fit correctly, and you need your most talented kids to come back sometimes.

We all know what a supposedly great program UK and cal have. But we also should remember if 3 kids , jones and a couple guards, didnt UNEXPECTEDLY come back, Legendary cal wouldnt have won his only title. Its tough out there...well except for K who never gets investigated (despite what happened to magette, thomas and sulamon) and tends to get the fifty fifty calls at crunch time in big games like the wiscy game time and time again...but other than for k its tough out there, look at what pitino is going thru right now...

He's ready to play - they are being very cautious with him and have changed his timetable because he is an investment. If they needed him, he'd be playing.

100%. The Nets are all about acquiring assets and stinking it up now.

crackerjack post

6a00d8341e70ae53ef014e6015a2e4970c-800wi

candy and nuts.

"IF...a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin'" — Nathan Arizona

Every
single
program
worth
a
dang
has
this
issue

But see, that's actually not true. Who was the last kid who left Duke who was EXPECTED to return--and not just by unrealistic Duke fans? Rodney Hood maybe? Before that it's Josh McRoberts in 2007. North Carolina lost one in JP Tokoto this year, but before that you probably have to go back to Jeff McGinnis in 1996! My point is that Duke knows before the season who is and who isn't coming back, and can recruit players to fill their scholarships and playing time. Do you think that we might have had a better PG than Joseph or forward than Roberson if we had been able to say to some recruits "yeah, you'll come in an play right away when they leave"? Do you think we might have targeted different players? Yeah, I think probably so. I'm not complaining. But those who say that all programs lose 2 top players in 1 year who were realistically expected to stay don't understand how top programs work. CMac was less of a surprise, but Ennis and Grant were completely unexpected, and MCW wasn't expected until it was too late to recruit (thankfully we had Ennis).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom