OT: Bills/Colts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Bills/Colts

Ah, gotta love the preseason "the bills could be good this year" optimism. I'll check back in after week 1.

Actually, "the Bills good be good this season" usually happens after Week 1. You might want to wait until after Week 2.

Even at that, I can't imagine there's a lot of it going around. I see more opposing fans talking about Bills fan optimism, then I ever see of actual Bills fan optimism. Must be some secret site I never read, and don't want to.

I hope they're finally building something. Banking on the head coach's experience in doing just that.

My excitement and optimism is more on the defensive end. Everyone thought Buffalo would have a top 10 defense last year after they got Mario Williams and thanks to the joke of a scheme implemented by Wanny, they had one of the worst defenses I have ever seen.

This year they moved Aaron Williams to a position he is better suited to play in Safety. Mario looks to be more in control of the defense as a leader. They added Kiko Alonso, Manny Lawson and Jerry Hughes to take the Linebacker position from a weakness to maybe, just maybe a strength on the team. Most importantly they brought in an attacking, agressive defensive coordinator in Pettine.

I dont know too many teams with better talent on defense than Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Alex Carrington, Manny Lawson, Nigel Bradham, Kiko Alonso, Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Williams and Jairus Byrd as starters. Does that make me a homer? I honestly think there is a ton of talent on this defense.

The offense will all hinge on EJ Manuel and Nathaniel Hackett. The O-line is ok and talent at the skill positions is pretty high.

My excitement and optimism is more on the defensive end. Everyone thought Buffalo would have a top 10 defense last year after they got Mario Williams and thanks to the joke of a scheme implemented by Wanny, they had one of the worst defenses I have ever seen.

This year they moved Aaron Williams to a position he is better suited to play in Safety. Mario looks to be more in control of the defense as a leader. They added Kiko Alonso, Manny Lawson and Jerry Hughes to take the Linebacker position from a weakness to maybe, just maybe a strength on the team. Most importantly they brought in an attacking, agressive defensive coordinator in Pettine.

I dont know too many teams with better talent on defense than Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Alex Carrington, Manny Lawson, Nigel Bradham, Kiko Alonso, Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Williams and Jairus Byrd as starters. Does that make me a homer? I honestly think there is a ton of talent on this defense.

The offense will all hinge on EJ Manuel and Nathaniel Hackett. The O-line is ok and talent at the skill positions is pretty high.

The defense will definitely hinge on their pass rush. The secondary still looks horrible.

The defense will definitely hinge on their pass rush. The secondary still looks horrible.

Secondary is a huge concern, Leodis has always struggled as a starter versus playing in a Nickel/Dime package. D line and LB should be good but Buffalo will surely be drafting a CB in the 1st or 2nd round next May. Also a little concerned about the RB depth after Spiller, Freddy looks slow and old.

Secondary is a huge concern, Leodis has always struggled as a starter versus playing in a Nickel/Dime package. D line and LB should be good but Buffalo will surely be drafting a CB in the 1st or 2nd round next May. Also a little concerned about the RB depth after Spiller, Freddy looks slow and old.
Yea Brooks was very up and down yesterday. Made a couple good plays but also gave up the TD to Hilton. Pettine's defense always has seemed to be predicated on pressure via blitz or masking coverage which is why having the talent we do in our front 7 and trading Sheppard for a pass rushing LB like Hughes was big imo. I think Safety, LB and D-Line are very talented. Gilmore is a legit #1 CB but I do agree that after him it gets a little dicey.

I wouldnt mind Buffalo signing another RB with some speed. Not sure why Tashard Choice is still on this team and Kendall Gaskins looks like he tries to run into defenders. The WR core, while young, is VERY promising.

Yea Brooks was very up and down yesterday. Made a couple good plays but also gave up the TD to Hilton. Pettine's defense always has seemed to be predicated on pressure via blitz or masking coverage which is why having the talent we do in our front 7 and trading Sheppard for a pass rushing LB like Hughes was big imo. I think Safety, LB and D-Line are very talented. Gilmore is a legit #1 CB but I do agree that after him it gets a little dicey.

I wouldnt mind Buffalo signing another RB with some speed. Not sure why Tashard Choice is still on this team and Kendall Gaskins looks like he tries to run into defenders. The WR core, while young, is VERY promising.

Agree on the WR's, there are a lot of promising players in that group. I am worried we might end up cutting a couple of good players out of that group that normally would have made the team. Nice to see Woods producing right out of the game and the fan favorite WR from Uconn had his best game ever.

Agree on the WR's, there are a lot of promising players in that group. I am worried we might end up cutting a couple of good players out of that group that normally would have made the team. Nice to see Woods producing right out of the game and the fan favorite WR from Uconn had his best game ever.
Agreed, Kaufman and Hogan looked good but I doubt they make the team. I'll be pretty annoyed if we cut Da'Rick Rogers or Easley for Brad Smith. I think its pretty clear Stevie, Woods, Graham and Goodwin are locks. I think its also pretty obvious that out of the rest, Rogers and Easley have the most talent and most importantly they are big physical WRs which we need. Those are the 6 im hoping we go with. You can see Woods is ready to be the #2 WR, all his practice reports were promising and he played very well yesterday.

Agreed, Kaufman and Hogan looked good but I doubt they make the team. I'll be pretty annoyed if we cut Da'Rick Rogers or Easley for Brad Smith. I think its pretty clear Stevie, Woods, Graham and Goodwin are locks. I think its also pretty obvious that out of the rest, Rogers and Easley have the most talent and most importantly they are big physical WRs which we need. Those are the 6 im hoping we go with. You can see Woods is ready to be the #2 WR, all his practice reports were promising and he played very well yesterday.

I think Brad Smith is going to get cut, at this point they have Goodwin to return kicks and Smith is going to struggle to crack the WR lineup. I would rather keep Rogers and Cut Smith. Trying to stash Rogers on the practice squad would be a recipe for disaster.

Rogers is on the team for sure. A family friend of mine produces the Bills radio show and is very tight with Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley and he's assured us that there is a 0% chance Rogers doesn't make it.

I don't get the love that we give Brad Smith either. He's a good special teamer, but we already have at least two very good return guys in McKelvin and Goodwin. If it were up to me, he'd be the guy getting cut without a doubt, but my friend has said he thinks Easley might end up being cut instead. And supposedly the Bills staff loves Kaufman, so we'll see about that. Can Kaufman be put on the practice squad? I'm not really familiar with how the practice squad really works.

The Colts announcers that appeared on NFL Network were absolutely horrible. They barely acknowledged the touchdown whenever the Bills made it into the end zone. Question for the Bills fans here: is it a fact that Kevin Kolb will be the #1 QB when healthy? The Colts announcers mentioned it as if Manuel will undoubtedly be the #2 QB which to my knowledge isn't the case. Then again, this was coming from the same announcer who thought that NFL rule dictates that if a QB's arm is moving forward it is a fumble (Tuel's play.)

Rogers is on the team for sure. A family friend of mine produces the Bills radio show and is very tight with Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley and he's assured us that there is a 0% chance Rogers doesn't make it.

I don't get the love that we give Brad Smith either. He's a good special teamer, but we already have at least two very good return guys in McKelvin and Goodwin. If it were up to me, he'd be the guy getting cut without a doubt, but my friend has said he thinks Easley might end up being cut instead. And supposedly the Bills staff loves Kaufman, so we'll see about that. Can Kaufman be put on the practice squad? I'm not really familiar with how the practice squad really works.
Ok good, I love Rogers potential especially as a red zone target. Was that before Easley's performance yesterday? I'd have to think he opened some eyes. If we put any these guys on the practice squad other teams can pick them up. I'd imagine whoever doesnt make the active roster has a good chance of being picked off by someone else before they make practice squad. Do you know anything about the QB battle? If Tuel keeps this up would they dare cut Kolb to open another roster spot?

The Colts announcers that appeared on NFL Network were absolutely horrible. They barely acknowledged the touchdown whenever the Bills made it into the end zone. Question for the Bills fans here: is it a fact that Kevin Kolb will be the #1 QB when healthy? The Colts announcers mentioned it as if Manuel will undoubtedly be the #2 QB which to my knowledge isn't the case. Then again, this was coming from the same announcer who thought that NFL rule dictates that if a QB's arm is moving forward it is a fumble (Tuel's play.)
Those announcers were beyond pathetic. How about when Rolle had an interception return for a TD and they kept thinking they were reviewing for possession until a lightbulb went off about 2 minutes into their incoherent ramblings that maybe, just maybe, the refs were checking for down by contact.

Manuel is #1 although I would like to see Kolb before we write him off. Tuel looked like Drew Brees out there against Indy's scrubs. I'm literally in shock at how bad Indy's depth is, they didnt even look like they belonged in pro football against our 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Ok good, I love Rogers potential especially as a red zone target. Was that before Easley's performance yesterday? I'd have to think he opened some eyes. If we put any these guys on the practice squad other teams can pick them up. I'd imagine whoever doesnt make the active roster has a good chance of being picked off by someone else before they make practice squad. Do you know anything about the QB battle? If Tuel keeps this up would they dare cut Kolb to open another roster spot?

This was as of right before that live scrimmage they had a week or so ago. Not sure if things have changed on Easley. It's really a shame because I think everyone recognizes that he's a talented kid. He just can't catch a break with the injuries.

And no idea about Tuel. I would hope that they're seeing the way he's raised his game once it gets into game situations and that they'll decide to keep him around but who knows. He's looked horrible in drills at training camp, but he's outplayed Manuel the last two times they were put in game situations (the scrimmage and yesterday's game IMO).

Edit: at the end of the day though, things can change very fast in football. But my friend also told me in the midst of all of the Nassib to Buffalo rumors, that he thought the FO was actually very high on "that QB from Florida State".

Not quite. Just wait. When collapses happen, they happen fast.

Are we still talking about Aaron Hernandez? If yes, I agree. Pats going 6-10, I disagree. Maybe someday (I hope), but not yet.

I think Brad Smith is going to get cut, at this point they have Goodwin to return kicks and Smith is going to struggle to crack the WR lineup. I would rather keep Rogers and Cut Smith. Trying to stash Rogers on the practice squad would be a recipe for disaster.

I hope they go: Stevie, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Rogers, Hogan.

Also, the most glaring weakness of this team is corner. McKelvin is a good athlete but an average to below average corner. Brooks could be a decent nickel. Hopefully someone like Butler can step up. He played well yesterday.

but you said this year in your first post...

I think they'll be closer to 6-10 than 12-4. I'm not backing down from my original prediction.

It's coming. Might not be this year, but it's coming.

And Pats* fans will disappear like they did before they went on this great run over the past decade-plus. Never met a Pats* fan prior to 2001.

Easley is a pre-season all-star. I think he has loads of potential, but injuries/health issues have always kept him down. I'd love to see what he could do in an actual NFL game though. Hopefully the Brad Smith experiment comes to an end soon. Has about 600 yards of total offense and 5 td's in two seasons. There are a lot of guys out there who could put up that production for a lot less money. We also have guys who are pro-bowl caliber kick returners, so we don't need Brad Smith out there returning kicks like he's going for a jog through Delaware Park.

And Pats* fans will disappear like they did before they went on this great run over the past decade-plus. Never met a Pats* fan prior to 2001.

Yep, they'll just disappear.

Just like all the Bills fans when they move to Toronto...

Yep, they'll just disappear.

Just like all the Bills fans when they move to Toronto...

Except that won't happen. Not Toronto at least. Ohhhh I yearn for those coach Mac Pats