OT: Children's cancer | Syracusefan.com

OT: Children's cancer

The most terrible loss a human being can bear. And it is hard for you, being their friend, to bear it as well. Never underestimate the power of a listening ear and compassionate heart. I know you will be there for them and that you will do them a world of good.

Gilardino, I reluctantly opened this thread when I saw the topic subject. I lost my mother to cancer in 2013, after she finally succumbed to more than 40 years of struggle with that damned disease. I loathe cancer, and am perpetually amazed by how many families are touched by that accursed affliction.

All that said, as a parent, I can't imagine anything worse that losing a child to cancer. Or having to watch a child suffer through chemo, etc. Such a shame.

Your friends are in my thoughts and prayers tonight. I'm truly so sorry to hear of their loss.

family friend who is 7, lost his battle. hug your kids extra hard tonight
You and your friends are definitely in our thoughts. My cousin went through it with his daughter. It's very sad. It's never good to see anyone have to battle cancer but a young innocent 7 year old. It's just not fair. Lots of hugs and lots of prayers.

When I hear people whining about the weather or their football team losing or what I consider to be some other meaningless "problem," I sometimes suggest they head over to the Golisano Children's Hospital at the University of Rochester and walk through the halls and look into the rooms and get a perspective on how "bad" their "problems" are. When my nephew was 8 and had his first brain tumor, I walked through those halls and saw children who I knew wouldn't be alive much longer and was forever affected.

When I hear people whining about the weather or their football team losing or what I consider to be some other meaningless "problem," I sometimes suggest they head over to the Golisano Children's Hospital at the University of Rochester and walk through the halls and look into the rooms and get a perspective on how "bad" their "problems" are. When my nephew was 8 and had his first brain tumor, I walked through those halls and saw children who I knew wouldn't be alive much longer and was forever affected.

What a freaking incredible post.

Talk about perspective.

On a semi-related note, I think that doctors who self-select their way into children's oncology must be @#$ saints. There is no other explanation for their choice.

On a semi-related note, I think that doctors who self-select their way into children's oncology must be @#$ saints. There is no other explanation for their choice.

Absolutely - A pediatrician I know said the hardest part of it is when the child asks why their mommy or daddy is so sad. To say life is unfair sometimes is a gross understatement.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family. My daughter is still in the middle of her battle she has about a year and a half left of treatment.
Just wanted to share a post that shows that good things can happen and there is always hope. The link below is about one of my son's best friends since they were 4 years old. Mitch developed a brain tumor in 5th grade but is now a healthy 17 year old cross country runner (he could be the best on his team if it weren't for his darn twin brother who is one of the best in the state)!. Please do not consider this a request for support as I'm sure there are just as worthy causes in your own community. Just wanted to share a feel good story and perhaps some hope.

http://www.mitchsmission.com/

upload_2014-9-16_14-54-16.jpeg
MitchStoneJoshGittleman.jpg

What a difference 6 years makes!

I've only been a parent for two months, but I honestly don't know how people come back from that and a sense of relative normalcy is ever reached.

I'm in the same boat man -- I get worried every time my little guy starts coughing or sneezing too much, I couldn't imagine a Dr. giving me that news.

I'm in the same boat man -- I get worried every time my little guy starts coughing or sneezing too much, I couldn't imagine a Dr. giving me that news.

I actually like when my 2-month old sneezes because it's just the cutest little high-pitched noise I've ever heard in my life.

Kidding aside, I completely agree with you.

I hope and pray that in my life time I never have to go to calling hours for a young child again. By far one of the hardest things I had to do. Count your blessings

Oh boy... I'm so incredibly sorry for the young man and his family... Continue to try to be positive and happy as much as possible. Life is soooo unpredictable and short.

I've only been a parent for two months, but I honestly don't know how people come back from that and a sense of relative normalcy is ever reached.

I don't believe they do. The people I know that have lived the horror of a child dying have never been the same.

As a parent, I literally cannot imagine anything worse.

My goddaughter (also cousin) passed when she was 3. I was 19 at the time I think. It crushed me. Eventually led to the demise of my aunt and uncle's marriage as well. It's the worst thing in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom