OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week)

Mark the Big Ten isn't stupid. They are evil but not stupid they didn't take UConn for the Big Ten Network. CT is a small population state IT WOULD NOT HELP THE ACC Network.

The ACC Network is doomed because of ESPN losing profits and Disney wanting them to scale back expenses. Adding itty bity ole UConn isn't going to cause ESPN to change its mind. UConn in the ACC right now does nothing but piss off Clemson and Florida State with an Northeast football school they want nothing part of and reinforces the notion the ACC only cares about hoops and not football.
The ACC is done with expansion unless the Fraudulent French make a decision they will never make.

The only conference that could expand in the near future is the B12 if they are forced to get to 12 teams for a CCG.

UConn isn't going to be invited into the ACC it makes no sense right now and ticks off the big dog football schools.
UConn is not getting much support out of Big Ten land.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/1/20/10790646/big-ten-expansion-ohio-state-uconn-big-12

And then this:

Dooley‏@DooleyMcStitch
@BennettESPN@ESPN_BigTen Will the @bigten risk losing @UConn to the @Big12Conference and a chunk of the valuable northeast TVs with it?

Brian Bennett: See, I think the fear would be actually getting stuck with UConn football in the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/129888/b1g-mailbag-early-16-showdowns-east-west-imbalance

Ouch!

UConn is not getting much support out of Big Ten land.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/1/20/10790646/big-ten-expansion-ohio-state-uconn-big-12

And then this:

Dooley‏@DooleyMcStitch
@BennettESPN@ESPN_BigTen Will the @bigten risk losing @UConn to the @Big12Conference and a chunk of the valuable northeast TVs with it?

Brian Bennett: See, I think the fear would be actually getting stuck with UConn football in the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/129888/b1g-mailbag-early-16-showdowns-east-west-imbalance

Ouch!
More Yukonian revisionist history in the comments section: "UConn was hands down better than Syracuse as a member of the Big East but did not have Syracuse’s strong history before the BE".

I guess 2 BE championships is better than 5? Yukon's last was in 2010, SU's in 2012. Yes, Syracuse left the Big East on a high note! :)

More Yukonian revisionist history in the comments section: "UConn was hands down better than Syracuse as a member of the Big East but did not have Syracuse’s strong history before the BE".

I guess 2 BE championships is better than 5? Yukon's last was in 2010, SU's in 2012. Yes, Syracuse left the Big East on a high note! :)
It's what they do. They've got nothing else.

None of the 65 teams in P5 going to leave.
Expansion from outside of the 65 is doubtful for anybody but the Big XII.

The Pac-12 can't expand without annexing from the Big XII.

The SEC/Big Ten would like to crave up the ACC.

The ACC and Big XII one of them will implode eventually. Now Texas doesn't care about Iowa State/Baylor/TCU/Texas Tech or any Big XII team but Oklahoma. Oklahoma already tried this power play stuff in 2010 when they unsuccessfully applied to the Pac-12.

Boren is doing it and trying to rattle Texas. It won't work. Texas will do what they want.

Why not just go 8 X 9?

18 team conferences are fugly.
Each group of 9 acts like its own conference. But crossover games don't count toward league play. Four conference championship games, plus national final 4 of

Why not just go 8 X 9?

I like 18 if it is done right. For basketball you play everyone once and your primary rival twice. That is about as round robin as you can get outside of a 10 team or less conference. For football if you have 3 divisions it works out well. You have 5 division games and then cross division games. If you stay at 8 games total then you play the other division teams once every four years, twice in 8 years. If you go to 9 games, it becomes once every three years and twice in 6 years. With 10 games (certainly possible if there is a break away and 4 x 18) you play everyone twice over a 5 year period. The three division winners play for the conference title.

Because of money there will never be a reduction to 10 team or less conferences ever again. It would be better for the game but that ship has sailed.

How exactly does this work? Is their a wild card team? Conference semi-finals and finals taking two weeks?

If it were up to me I would have the 3rd best division winner play at the 2nd best. Then the week after the 1 seed hosts whoever wins. No wildcard as winning the division should be important.

For the National Title I would use the 4 conference champs and only 2 wildcards, so a 6 team playoff. This is assuming a 4 x 18 breakaway.

So for example this season would have seen:

December 5th Conference 1st round games
December 12th Conference championships
December 26th National 1st round games
January 1st National Semis
January 11th National Title Game

Why not just go 8 X 9?

I would absolutely love this. Play everyone once in football and twice in basketball. My guess is it would never happen as it would kill some rivalries and take teams away from their conference. But I'd love a super division of 72 teams - pay the players, let them do endorsements, and figure out how academics will work. The lower division can be fore true student athletes. Maybe in another life.

I would absolutely love this. Play everyone once in football and twice in basketball. My guess is it would never happen as it would kill some rivalries and take teams away from their conference. But I'd love a super division of 72 teams - pay the players, let them do endorsements, and figure out how academics will work. The lower division can be fore true student athletes. Maybe in another life.
Once all the big boy conferences get together and join as a league, this can happen, break down into convenient regional conferences, just like MLB, NFL, etc. Of course, the term "regional" is not clearly defined (i.e. Dallas - NFC East), but each of the proposed 8 conferences would have 2-4 stellar teams (stellar, of historical significance and generally a good team).

As much as I would enjoy this format, it will not happen anytime soon.

Once all the big boy conferences get together and join as a league, this can happen, break down into convenient regional conferences, just like MLB, NFL, etc. Of course, the term "regional" is not clearly defined (i.e. Dallas - NFC East), but each of the proposed 8 conferences would have 2-4 stellar teams (stellar, of historical significance and generally a good team).

As much as I would enjoy this format, it will not happen anytime soon.
Hey, if teams were willing to leave the SEC or Big 10 for another conference, I'd be all for it.

Does the B1G even want OU? The limited chatter that I have heard is that the member Presidents do not want OU because of its poor academics and lack of AAU membership.
The Presidents probably do not want OU - at all. They probably see KU as not worth thinking about a second time. But Big Ten ADs are a different matter entirely. They know that the BT East has about 90% of the sexiness of BT football. OU in the West, ending the season playing Nebraska, would secure a better balance. So my guess is that BT ADs now are working to get the Presidents to see the value of adding KU and OU.

I have stated this before. This is how I see being the end game of the P5. I just can't see the Pac-12 getting to 16.

SEC pods
Pod 1
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma State
Missouri

Pod 2
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Pod 3
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky

Pod 4
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Arkansas

B1G
Pod 1
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois

Pod 2
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern

Pod 3
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa

Pod 4
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Indiana

ACC
Pod 1
Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame

Pod 2
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Cincinnati/West Virginia

Pod 3
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest

Pod 4
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Clemson

I have stated this before. This is how I see being the end game of the P5. I just can't see the Pac-12 getting to 16.

SEC pods
Pod 1
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma State
Missouri

Pod 2
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Pod 3
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky

Pod 4
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Arkansas

B1G
Pod 1
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois

Pod 2
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern

Pod 3
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa

Pod 4
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Indiana

ACC
Pod 1
Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame

Pod 2
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Cincinnati/West Virginia

Pod 3
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest

Pod 4
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Clemson
So you have three 16-team conference and 12 in the PAC. That's 60. What current P5 schools get left out?

So you have three 16-team conference and 12 in the PAC. That's 60. What current P5 schools get left out?
Kansas State/Iowa State/Baylor/TCU/Texas Tech merge with UConn, Temple, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, SMU, USF, UCF, ECU.

SEC pods
Pod 1
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma State
Missouri

Pod 2
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Pod 3
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky

Pod 4
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Arkansas

B1G
Pod 1
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois

Pod 2
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern

Pod 3
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa

Pod 4
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Indiana

ACC
Pod 1
Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame

Pod 2
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Cincinnati/West Virginia

Pod 3
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest

Pod 4
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Clemson

PAC-16 possibility:

Pod1
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State

Pod2
Stanford
California
Nevada
UNLV

Pod3
Boise State
Utah
Colorado
New Mexico

Pod4
UCLA
USC
Arizona
Arizona State

PAC-16 possibility:

Pod1
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State

Pod2
Stanford
California
Nevada
UNLV

Pod3
Boise State
Utah
Colorado
New Mexico

Pod4
UCLA
USC
Arizona
Arizona State
If the Pac-12 went down this route I would see it

Pod 1
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Pod 2
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

Pod 3
Boise State
Colorado
Colorado State
UNLV

Pod 4
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Utah

That being said, if anyone ever wrote a well researched book on the background of conference realignment for the period of say 2002-2013, I'd be the first one in line to buy it.

If the Dude of West Virginia writes it make sure to look in the fiction section

If the Pac-12 went down this route I would see it

Pod 1
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Pod 2
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

Pod 3
Boise State
Colorado
Colorado State
UNLV

Pod 4
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Utah

BYU and CSU make sense academically and athletically. Plus they fit the travel partner model the P12 uses. Teams 15 and 16 would be leftovers for the P12. Boise State would lose out IMO. I think they would choose either UNLV & Nevada or San Diego State and Fresno State. I also think the Pod would be Colorado, CSU, BYU, and Utah. Then Zona, ASU, then one of the two choices from Nevada or Cali.

My guess is that the ACC has already, not long after the deal with ND, informed Texas that an ND-type deal is on the table - hypothetically, of course.

And I would say that today Texas is more likely to see that possibility ion favorable light than a couple of years ago. Why? Because Boren keeps talking, making it clear to the entire country that he resents Texas as basically sole owner and proprietor of the Big 12. Eventually, Boren's public airing of grievances will mean something must be done. If nothing is done, and the President of the 2nd most powerful school in the conference continues to complain, all TV partners are going to ready to jump ship before contracts are up.

And anyone having any trouble seeing how bad this is needs only focus on the fact that Boren, OU's President, is doing exactly what no FSU President has ever done, or ever come remotely close to doing. Boren is doing what the most-SEC like, the most redneck, 50 or 60% of the FSU fan base has done. Boren is like the very worst of FSU fans, the ones as stupid as WVU fans, in that he is ready to blow up everything in hope it might be better after destruction.

And there is absolutely no movement to rein in Boren, by any power at OU or in state government.

There is really a split between some of the (younger?) people who post on sites like Tomahawk Nation and most of the 80,000 or so (older?) people who actually attend games in Tallahassee. I think most of the latter group are satisfied with ACC membership and realize joining the SEC would likely mean the journey to a national title game would be more difficult. The last two years of bowl game losses for whatever reason tend to bring people back to reality. Also, the faculty would be in an uproar if FSU went to an academically inferior conference. Many of them have degrees from UNC, UVA, Ga Tech, and "Big 10" schools where academics matter. It is after all a university with a football program not a football team with a university. Bobby Bowden always said that if handled properly (run cleanly), a football program could serve as a positive advertisement for the school and that is what happened following the 1987 season when we defeated Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl and were 2nd to Miami in the AP poll. Both the number of freshman applications and the quality of those applicants soared during that time, and the football program even contributed $1 million to the library.

One other thing is worth saying: I do believe there will be a 24/7 ACC cable channel eventually. Presently we have a syndicated ACC broadcast network which has local carriage on cable channels in those cities and I have seen almost every state except Alaska on the broadcast list. This "ACC Network" includes football and men's basketball, mostly. Now if the cable/satellite TV market continues to contract, it will not only affect the amount of money the ACC could get from a cable channel but also the SEC and "Big 10" cable channels as renewals will provide much less $$, and I think the Longhorn network will be cancelled outright unless it is changed to a "Big 12" network. It is clear that ESPN overpaid for some of their properties (including $15 billion for 8 years of NFL Monday Night Football when there were no other bidders from what I have read). Also, I think John Swofford has asked all ACC schools not to comment on an ACC cable channel - partly to avoid the turmoil that you are beginning to see in the "Big 12".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom