OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week)

Whatever Texas wants will happen in the Big XII.
True - until the moment when OU is ready to strike out on its own. The SEC would take OU right now, but the SEC does not want Ok St.

If the SEC wants Oklahoma they would have to take Oklahoma State. Oklahoma could go to the Big Ten without carrying Oklahoma State but going to the SEC would probably require taking State with them.
If the SEC took OU/OSU
They could go 4 pods or move Auburn/Alabama to the East.
SEC pods
Southwest
Missouri
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

South
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

Southeast
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

East
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina

True - until the moment when OU is ready to strike out on its own. The SEC would take OU right now, but the SEC does not want Ok St.
The two aren't tied together unless things have changed recently. OSU would have people believe they are, but the State and OU have not conceded to this rumor, to my knowledge. To the contrary, statements went out a few years ago that the two were NOT tied together as a package. I'm too lazy to find the reference, but I have posted it at least one on this site.

The two aren't tied together unless things have changed recently. OSU would have people believe they are, but the State and OU have not conceded to this rumor, to my knowledge. To the contrary, statements went out a few years ago that the two were NOT tied together as a package. I'm too lazy to find the reference, but I have posted it at least one on this site.
If OU wanted to go the B1G they wouldn't be tied together. If OU wanted to go to the SEC I think they would be a package deal.

I, for one, am utterly sick to death of conference chatter. If anyone running major college athletics had a brain in their head they'd form a unified super league of about 80 programs, split up into something like 8, geographically logical, divisions with 10 programs each.

Instead we have this stupid mish-mosh of greed.

Who can't wait for the 22 team SEC of 2036??

I, for one, am utterly sick to death of conference chatter. If anyone running major college athletics had a brain in their head they'd form a unified super league of about 80 programs, split up into something like 8, geographically logical, divisions with 10 programs each.

i'm not a govt interventionist type but this is demanding it. the conferences need to be rejiggered bottom line. Have some sort of constitutional convention to figure out a way to hand out money to these non taxed entities (colleges).

Well said, such a bunch of BS. So sick of it.

If OU wanted to go the B1G they wouldn't be tied together. If OU wanted to go to the SEC I think they would be a package deal.
I think that makes sense. I think Boren would risk whatever backlash OU might get for leaving Ok St behind if the move for OU is to the BT. I do not see him risking blowback in state if he takes OU to the SEC.

Does the SEC want OU bad enough , or bad enough to keep OU out of the BT, to take Ok St? That's one of the important questions still unanswered.

Well said, such a bunch of BS. So sick of it.
So you want some entity to come in and tell us all what to do? What if that entity were to decide that Syracuse would be shipped down to the Non-Power group while UConn got shifted up to replace Syracuse?

So you want some entity to come in and tell us all what to do? What if that entity were to decide that Syracuse would be shipped down to the Non-Power group while UConn got shifted up to replace Syracuse?
in this fantasy scenario, that would never occur.

what would need to be done is basically an open enrollment provided prerequisites are met.

basically every FBS team would make it, they just to confirm their commitment or drop down and the FCS teams would need to upgrade to meet the standards and the 'Commish' could step in and divy it up.

That being said, if anyone ever wrote a well researched book on the background of conference realignment for the period of say 2002-2013, I'd be the first one in line to buy it.

Scooch said:
I, for one, am utterly sick to death of conference chatter. If anyone running major college athletics had a brain in their head they'd form a unified super league of about 80 programs, split up into something like 8, geographically logical, divisions with 10 programs each. Instead we have this stupid mish-mosh of greed. Who can't wait for the 22 team SEC of 2036??

4x16

I wish the NCAA should pass a rule that all conferences had to have 9 members and that teams aren't required to be in the same conference for every sport- that each conference in each sport would consist of their most logical rivals in that sport.

Still 4 separate conferences and 16 sucks.

We don't play nearly half our conference more than once a decade and that's 14.
your 8x10 works for me.

9 conf games, 3 ooc and then the top 2 play each other again for the conf championship and entry into the F8 playoff.

your 8x10 works for me.

9 conf games, 3 ooc and then the top 2 play each other again for the conf championship and entry into the F8 playoff.

In my never-will-happen scenario... I'd expand the regular season to 13 games to open up 4 OOC spots. It's going to happen someday anyway, it's the obvious way for conferences to create more "inventory" and increase their rights fees. No division championship games.

And if you want to auto-include all the division winners in a playoff then I'd make it 12 teams. Need some room for at large teams. The beauty is that all regions would be represented in the playoffs, which is great for TV interest (part of the reason for the middling Bama-Clemson ratings was the lack of geographic diversity).

Scooch's College Football Unified Super League, Northeast Division:
Syracuse, BC, UConn, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt, West Virginia, Army, Navy.

This will happen right after I have drinks with Meghan Fox tonight.

I think that makes sense. I think Boren would risk whatever backlash OU might get for leaving Ok St behind if the move for OU is to the BT. I do not see him risking blowback in state if he takes OU to the SEC.

Does the SEC want OU bad enough , or bad enough to keep OU out of the BT, to take Ok St? That's one of the important questions still unanswered.

Does the B1G even want OU? The limited chatter that I have heard is that the member Presidents do not want OU because of its poor academics and lack of AAU membership.

If OU has to drag little brother OSU along, neither is going anywhere. OU moves the needle only because of their history, they are a great team. Academically, OU is on par with UNL (Not AAU, ranked 101, etc.) so they can fit the B1G profile, OSU cannot. Regarding the SEC, PAC or ACC, nobody needs OSU for TVs, OU already has them...in a small population state. OSU is going nowhere unless the gaining conference wants to simply fill a slot. There is no benefit to bringing OSU in a conference: No significant historical greatness, no academic tradition, no great following or market.

In my never-will-happen scenario... I'd expand the regular season to 13 games to open up 4 OOC spots. It's going to happen someday anyway, it's the obvious way for conferences to create more "inventory" and increase their rights fees. No division championship games.

And if you want to auto-include all the division winners in a playoff then I'd make it 12 teams. Need some room for at large teams. The beauty is that all regions would be represented in the playoffs, which is great for TV interest (part of the reason for the middling Bama-Clemson ratings was the lack of geographic diversity).

Scooch's College Football Unified Super League, Northeast Division:
Syracuse, BC, UConn, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt, West Virginia, Army, Navy.

This will happen right after I have drinks with Meghan Fox tonight.

Army and Navy aren't worthy. I would sub in Temple and then... well I guess no one else fits. Maybe Cincy or VA Tech? It sets up nicely for end of year rivalries too:

BC-UConn
Maryland-West Virginia
Penn State-Pitt
Rutgers-Temple
Syracuse-Team X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online