OT - dorm opinion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - dorm opinion

I lived on Ackerman for 2 years, 20 years ago. After awhile I just left my car unlocked and my back window broken, was easier than replacing glass and locks every month. Fact is, ithaca houses get broken into all the time as well around campus. Thieves no when the kids are home on break, etc.

I think it's been a problem up there for years... Probably a problem in most rental houses in college areas.

I did find myself in an interesting foot race one night from Westcott street home to Ackerman but these guys weren't interested in a foot race.. I think I ran a sub 4 mile.

You always run faster when you're drunk. That's how I remember it at least.

It is what it is off campus. To Bee's original question, I wouldn't worry about proximity of THornden in relation to DellPlain. Be smart late at night, travel with a friend, always be aware of your surroundings, etc. The typical safety protocols apply whether you are living DP, Shaw or the Mount. Thieves know to pry on unsuspecting drunk freshman at night...

I lived on Ackerman for 2 years, 20 years ago. After awhile I just left my car unlocked and my back window broken, was easier than replacing glass and locks every month. Fact is, ithaca houses get broken into all the time as well around campus. Thieves no when the kids are home on break, etc.

I think it's been a problem up there for years... Probably a problem in most rental houses in college areas.

I did find myself in an interesting foot race one night from Westcott street home to Ackerman but these guys weren't interested in a foot race.. I think I ran a sub 4 mile.
At Oswego...180 inches of snow keeps the riff raff out. Never had any issues other someone sideswiped my 70 Barracuda outside the Shacky Patch.

Bees, congrats on your kid going to SU. Fun times. I lived in Dellplain my sophomore year (2000-01). Liked it a lot. Like others have said it's very close to the Quad and other stuff (dorms, Kimmel or whatever they call it now, etc). Would definitely recommend it.

At Oswego...180 inches of snow keeps the riff raff out. Never had any issues other someone sideswiped my 70 Barracuda outside the Shacky Patch.

In Oswego, it was the students terrorizing the city :cool:

That was your ex-girlfiriend......

Bees, congrats on your kid going to SU. Fun times. I lived in Dellplain my sophomore year (2000-01). Liked it a lot. Like others have said it's very close to the Quad and other stuff (dorms, Kimmel or whatever they call it now, etc). Would definitely recommend it.
Hey, you and I lived in Dellplain at the exact same time. I was on 7.

I loved living in BBB freshman year (Brew 9). The law steps were a bit of a workout but Brockway was a great dining hall. Lived with the same guys I met on Brew 9 all the way through my 4 years.

So let's bump this. This week was lottery week for room selection. He and his buddy wanted a 2 person suite and got their first choice. Watson Hall. I see a few of you mentioned it last year.

Oh no! Not Watson Hall!

A veritable den of iniquity.

Kidding.

Watson Hall...has a really nice location. I liked the smaller Dorms...tended to feel like you knew more people.

Watson was the best located dorm when I was there and I don't think that has changed. He did very well.

So let's bump this. This week was lottery week for room selection. He and his buddy wanted a 2 person suite and got their first choice. Watson Hall. I see a few of you mentioned it last year.
I lived in Watson. Loved it. Won the lottery (#8 ) Loved Watson Hall/ Great location. cripes, I wrote great location and look and see two other posters wrote the same thing.

Wasn't dellplain upperclassmen? Sure felt like upperclassmen. Was kind of like living in an apartment when I was there. Wasn't the best place if you were looking to make long lasting college friends.

Yea, DellPlain is where they put the freshman that want to live in a Learning Community for Whitman and also the ischool freshman. And since he's doing both schools and its centrally located to both colleges along with Marshall St, the library, Shine, etc it seems like the best option. You know he'll be at the Dome a lot but that's only 25 times a year. Living over there doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's a 5 minute walk to the dome in bad weather so that shouldn't be a factor. If he's going to be spending most of this time at Whitman or the STC, then Dellplain is a perfect choice. Plus, he'll have the choice of dining halls and the library is very close. I'd go for it!

As a 44-year old, I agree wholeheartedly with you. However, as an 18-year old, living in Day Hall was one of the best years of my life. I remember trekking up and down those stairs like it was yesterday. At the time, I actually thought it was kind of cool not to mention how close it is to the Dome. Things that bother me now (i.e. cold weather) were a non-issue back then.

Oh yeah... as for walking up the stairs, we would often walk on the roof if we were drunk enough. We would sometimes race up and the one who finished last would have to take a shot of Popov Vodka (or whatever else we had on hand). Point being, we made the experience fun and as an 18-year old, things like that aren't much of a big deal for most.

All this...plus taking trays down the stairs...I loved Day as a freshman...

Even better...all the advantages of Dellplain and a better location. Congrats!

Especially the more recent SU grads, what is your opinions of the DellPlain dorm?

A few of my close buddies lived in DellPlain our sophomore year...let's just say I don't have many clear memories of the place.

Hoov50 said:
A few of my close buddies lived in DellPlain our sophomore year...let's just say I don't have many clear memories of the place.

This is an old thread from last year so he lived in DellPlain this year. He liked it and liked it being next to Ernie for the cafeteria and work out center. Also like the location. But now for next year he's going to live in Watson.

Corner in Lawrinson. Any other option is incorrect.

Elevator from the parking garage directly to your floor bypassing security? Best kept secret on the hill.

SU2NASA said:
Corner in Lawrinson. Any other option is incorrect. Elevator from the parking garage directly to your floor bypassing security? Best kept secret on the hill.

For whatever reason he's never had any interest in Lawrinson, BBB, Sadler or anything over on that side of campus. Although he lives in the Dome during football/basketball season.

For whatever reason he's never had any interest in Lawrinson, BBB, Sadler or anything over on that side of campus. Although he lives in the Dome during football/basketball season.
because those places are far from the bars and parties, bees.

think, like a college student...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom