Class of 2023 - OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama

You recruit players you feel can help your team. Every player wont pan out. SU is a development program so signing transfers like Zeed, Miller and Heard is important. Grabbing guys like Bleich Clark Villari Bellamy Wohlabaugh Igraham helps the team. Those guys rarely played at their previous school
Are we still a developmental program with Fran Brown ? Seems like we are getting much higher quality athletes now

You recruit players you feel can help your team. Every player wont pan out. SU is a development program so signing transfers like Zeed, Miller and Heard is important. Grabbing guys like Bleich Clark Villari Bellamy Wohlabaugh Igraham helps the team. Those guys rarely played at their previous school
Hopefully under the new staff we can eventually stop saying we are a development program or great at finding diamonds in the rough.

Until the product actually produce on the field. Yes we are
Amen

We also need to wrap our heads around the reality that the top of the ACC has been stacking recruiting and portal classes similar to or better than Fran's current class for years. I know some will say - but he did that in less than a month and without a full staff. Very true. The future is bright. It's reasonable to have much higher expectations for the program going forward. But, all of the chest thumping, we will be in the ACC championship game, we have arrived stuff needs to be dialed back until we consistently win on the field.

We still need to recruit, develop, and coach the talent to get there.

Amen

We also need to wrap our heads around the reality that the top of the ACC has been stacking recruiting and portal classes similar to or better than Fran's current class for years. I know some will say - but he did that in less than a month and without a full staff. Very true. The future is bright. It's reasonable to have much higher expectations for the program going forward. But, all of the chest thumping, we will be in the ACC championship game, we have arrived stuff needs to be dialed back until we consistently win on the field.

They have - but we do have the advantage of a pretty healthy portal this year AND that many of our new hires are aces that we’re working the ‘24 and ‘25 classes hard AND Fran and ERob coming from GA (stacked roster) and A&M (coaching change). So yeah it definitely could be better heading into the ‘24 season if the staff had been here a few years, but we still have a lot going for us that most teams with new coaches don’t.

They have - but we do have the advantage of a pretty healthy portal this year AND that many of our new hires are aces that we’re working the ‘24 and ‘25 classes hard AND Fran and ERob coming from GA (stacked roster) and A&M (coaching change). So yeah it definitely could be better heading into the ‘24 season if the staff had been here a few years, but we still have a lot going for us that most teams with new coaches don’t.
Yeah, of course. I realize all that. To be clear, I am a huge believer in what Fran and the staff have already done and what they will be able to do going forward. There are also significant things happening with NIL that will accelerate the process.

Amen

Agree

Yeah, of course. I realize all that. To be clear, I am a huge believer in what Fran and the staff have already done and what they will be able to do going forward. There are also significant things happening with NIL that will accelerate the process.
Yeah we just need to take it easy with the expectations. Talk of conference championships and playoffs next season are beyond premature.

Amen

Yep no corners turned yet.

Yeah we just need to take it easy with the expectations. Talk of conference championships and playoffs next season are beyond premature.
Have to fix the OL before putting the card ahead of the horse. Miller was a nice ad, need another piece or two, in my opinion.

Also need help at dtn corner, any talk of challenging for a conference championship is premature unless those things fall into place.

Which is certainly no guarantee

When you lose out on a player twice in two years, then I guess he was never that impressed with us.
I may be wrong but I believe this is the third time he has kicked us in the jimmy. If I recall he was back and forth with us last year. I could be wrong.

I may be wrong but I believe this is the third time he has kicked us in the jimmy. If I recall he was back and forth with us last year. I could be wrong.
I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that relationships don’t really matter all that much to him. Is what it is. Kids like that will always be a challenge for us.

We lost a recruiting battle to Alabama.

I guess this is what rock bottom looks like.
Listen, it's not like they have dominated us in our head to head recruiting battles. We still have two guys in this class that were offered by Alabama. Yes, they beat us for this kid but it's not like it's been any kind of trend.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that relationships don’t really matter all that much to him. Is what it is. Kids like that will always be a challenge for us.
I’d rather have relationships centric kids … you saw why it mattered last night. UGA had a lions share of their players there vs FSU. I firmly believe the relationship kids will not only finish a season but stay away from the portal.

I wish nothing bad on the kid, but I don’t see him being successful at Alabama. I hope I’m wrong and he prospers, but that is just my opinion. FWIW.

That’s ridiculous
Oh yea? How so?

It’s also funny that if you actually read the thread and just didn’t selectively take my post (Several other commented same thing) you would have noticed that my post was specifically to someone who said something along the lines of you’ll never play at Alabama you could have come to Cuse and started from day 1). So my question again. Why would we want someone who can never get on the field throughout their career at another school?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom