OT: For those who don't watch the NBA, as well as those who do.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: For those who don't watch the NBA, as well as those who do..

Watched Memphis - Golden State, that was a fun. Did anyone hear Van Gundy say he expects Jimmy Butler and Wesley Matthews to both get around 16 or 17 million/year on their new contracts? If Buzz Williams can develop talent like that at Virginia Tech it will take the ACC up another notch.

He also referenced Draymond Green with that comment, guy stands to score big on a FA contract because he is a strong, wide body that can shoot from deep too. And with his defensive presence, can help any team. These guys are good.

It would be nice to see a current Syracuse team play a game against a quality opponent with shooting numbers like that!

We shot 45 percent from three that day. Sounds absurd. II don't think that team had lot of interest in defense though.

That was an amazing game last night. These highlights are incredible. If those two teams meet in the playoffs it's going to be absurdly good.

as good as much of the NBA is these days . . . I've seen a couple of games this season where the Lakers look worse from the field than our current Orange.

as good as much of the NBA is these days . . . I've seen a couple of games this season where the Lakers look worse from the field than our current Orange.

You see any of the game vs Indy earlier this week? good lord.

And i know its not him, but every time I see your avatar I have to remind myself it isn't Daniel Bryan.

that Indy game would have been shocking . . . if I hadn't seen them begin 5/26 vs. the Pelicans a week earlier

Do you think Adam Silver wakes up in a cold sweat at night thinking about a Memphis/Toronto Finals?

For people who appreciate great basketball it would be a terrific series, but a TV ratings apocalypse.

He's savvy enough to turn into Drake vs Timberlake if that happens.

I don't have the energy to do an historical search but I can remember a handful of NBA threads over the past couple years comparing and contrasting the two players since they're both high-volume shooters/scorers.

The comparison got brought up before this season began because Melo was left out of the top 10 in ESPN's rankings and Harden was #9 or something and everyone here was outraged at the idea that anyone could think Harden is better because "Melo is a better scorer, defender, and rebounder and Harden flops too much".

...but yeah, Harden is probably the front runner for MVP right now. Him and Marc Gasol IMO.

Watched Memphis - Golden State, that was a fun. Did anyone hear Van Gundy say he expects Jimmy Butler and Wesley Matthews to both get around 16 or 17 million/year on their new contracts? If Buzz Williams can develop talent like that at Virginia Tech it will take the ACC up another notch.

Butler and Matthews are above average players in the NBA right now. Butler is actually having a fantastic year, and Matthews is a very consistent player on a team with two all-stars.

Crowder also has a nitch with Dallas.

Butler and Matthews are above average players in the NBA right now. Butler is actually having a fantastic year, and Matthews is a very consistent player on a team with two all-stars.

Crowder also has a nitch with Dallas.

Butler will easily get the most money of the 3. Crowder is down to like 10 minutes a game and it sounds like there's a good chance he's involved in the Rondo to Dallas trade that sounds like it's pretty close to going down. Matthews is a solid player, but Butler is so young and is just having a monster start to the season. I would have to imagine he'll get a max deal from someone as an RFA this offseason or he'll get very close.

Butler will easily get the most money of the 3. Crowder is down to like 10 minutes a game and it sounds like there's a good chance he's involved in the Rondo to Dallas trade that sounds like it's pretty close to going down. Matthews is a solid player, but Butler is so young and is just having a monster start to the season. I would have to imagine he'll get a max deal from someone as an RFA this offseason or he'll get very close.

Butler's emergence makes Jabari Parker expendable to me in my dynasty league. I'll take Butler over MCW as my fourth Keeper along with Drummond, Boogie and Klay T.

Butler's emergence makes Jabari Parker expendable to me in my dynasty league. I'll take Butler over MCW as my fourth Keeper along with Drummond, Boogie and Klay T.

Ugh, I can't even look at Jabari's name without my heart sinking (Bucks fan). It's been a really depressing last few days.

...but yeah, Harden is probably the front runner for MVP right now. Him and Marc Gasol IMO.

Anthony Davis has to be in the mix, as well. Granted he plays for a bad team (for West standards), but he's 4th in scoring, 11th in rebounding, 1st in blocks, 10th in steals and 5th in field goal percentage.

Anthony Davis has to be in the mix, as well. Granted he plays for a bad team (for West standards), but he's 4th in scoring, 11th in rebounding, 1st in blocks, 10th in steals and 5th in field goal percentage.
as does Steph Curry

If he were on a winning team, he'd be the front runner, but I think basketball is the one sport where winning should and does account for a big portion of the MVP resume. The West is a hell, but the Pelicans gotta get into the playoffs for him to win the MVP IMO.

Edit: And yeah, someone else just pointed out that I forgot about Curry. He's definitely in the mix right now.

Steph Curry has to be up there. 5th in scoring, 7th in steals, 7th in assists, and grabs 5 boards a game from the pg position.

Yes, the divide between the Western Conference vs the Eastern Conference is at an all time high. Last I knew I believe the West has won something like 70% of games between the two.

Actually here is a chart from 12/5/14 showing the historical breakdown between the two conferences. In the last 15 seasons, the East has only won the matchup once which was in 2009. As of 12/5/14 the West held a 70.8 vs 29.2 edge. You would think the East would get better just by getting higher draft picks but it's just not happening.

http://www.sports-reference.com/blo...n-conference-vs-eastern-conference-disparity/

I had seen that before and read it the same way you did originally... but its actually from December 5, 2013. I believe year to date this year its around 32%. Not sure where the 2013/2014 season ended.

Davis might be the best player, but he has no shot without a good record.
Curry/Harden have to be 1-2 if the voting was today. I wonder if Lebron is gonna get there; s it possible he's slipping just a little? I know he was around 47% a few weeks ago, he's back to 49.4%, but he was around 56-57% the last few years.. He's making 68.5% at the rim this year; he was 79% last year and 76%last year. Wonder if he's lost just a bit of his athleticism.

Yeah people here are weird about Harden probably because he often gets compared to Melo, and some posters have an intense visceral reaction to any negative criticism of Melo.

It may have something to do with seeing him in person, play SU in the NCAA's in Miami in 2009. To be kind, he played badly. It was reported that he was hurt which he either had to be despite not looking like it (and playing all 40 minutes) or he was even better friends with Flynn, Harris etc who we saw all hanging together. :cool: SU fans obviously must have seen him at his worst.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=294000041

I haven't had as much time to follow sports this year, and following the NCAA especially from Canada is really hard work compared to the NBA (and I did not invest in the college basketball TV package yet). With less time, I have tended to follow the NBA more. The fact that the Raptors are doing well, and Syracuse is down after an incredible run, probably has something to do with as well. Its Bizarro World.

I had seen that before and read it the same way you did originally... but its actually from December 5, 2013. I believe year to date this year its around 32%. Not sure where the 2013/2014 season ended.
Yes, you are right. I did not even see that. I just did quick math and the East is currently 48-96 vs the West or exactly 33.3%. Only the top three teams in the East having a winning record vs the West. Pretty sad.

Also, can I just mention real quick that Russell Westbrook is playing INCREDIBLE basketball right now? His per 36 numbers so far this year:

32 points, 8.3 assists, 7.1 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 4.6 TOs (obviously the hole in his game right now)

And he's doing it on 49.5-35.5-82.5% shooting. He seems to have somehow taken his game to a new level since returning from injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom