OT: I'm going to be an ACC blogger this year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: I'm going to be an ACC blogger this year...

How about an article on the Coaching Tree of Jim Boeheim and the Coaching trees of other ACC coaches and determine who has the best tree.

That sounds like a series of articles, actually. And definitely can be done.
Excellent, it would definitely be interesting to read about JB's tree obviously Rick Pitino with 2 NC would be the best of that tree, and all of Pitino's tree would fall under JB's sorta like hoe Bill Walsh in the NFL's coaching tree.

An article exploring whether Tobacco Road will implode if Cuse, Pitt or ND should win the ACCT this year; becoming the third non-traditional ACC school in a row to do so.

Duke without Chris Collins. Chris was to Duke what Mike Hopkins is to Syracuse. K relied very heavily on him. I would love to see an article from both the K perspective and the Collins perspective. (Chris became the coach of Northwestern during the off-season). Also, Collins was such a fixture at Duke (and in the ACC) for so many years. Maybe an article about how he's doing at Northwestern -- and the real reason why he left Duke. (I realize these two ideas may sound somewhat parochial... but if you have to write something every day... I think they come in handy some day).
Just submitted something on Collins, arguing that replacing him will be the program's biggest challenge from this offseason.

I am curious as to the "real reason" why he left Duke, of course...but since I don't know what it was other than what seems on the surface obvious (grew up in suburban Chicago, head coaching gig, etc) I left that alone in this one.

A 5 part series on how bad Pitt sucks. You'll have to get creative to pare it down to only 5, but consider the readers. Would they hang on for 6 Pitt articles? Probably not. Get it done in 5.

Speaking of people who suck, I am going to be doing a series on players who have been disappointments after being highly touted (with the spin that they have one more shot to perform or some crap). Yes, Rakeem will be included. James McAdoo for UNC, also. I'll just have to go through and find other top rated recruits who have not panned out across the ACC (I know McAdoo is a fine player, but he was pegged as a sure top 5 pick coming out of high school).

A 5 part series on how bad Pitt sucks. You'll have to get creative to pare it down to only 5, but consider the readers. Would they hang on for 6 Pitt articles? Probably not. Get it done in 5.
Actually, on that note, maybe some pieces for our ACC brethren and sistren that jumpstart rivalries - like recap the things people from the Big East hated about Pitt and Syracuse. Pitt - Dixon's hair, thug ball, etc. Cuse - Boeheim's nose picking, that we take over other people's gyms.

I'm basically encouraging you to write an article that takes a dump on Carl Krauser mostly, but didn't want to come right out and say that.

Actually, on that note, maybe some pieces for our ACC brethren and sistren that jumpstart rivalries - like recap the things people from the Big East hated about Pitt and Syracuse. Pitt - Dixon's hair, thug ball, etc. Cuse - Boeheim's nose picking, that we take over other people's gyms.

I'm basically encouraging you to write an article that takes a dump on Carl Krauser mostly, but didn't want to come right out and say that.
Don't forget when the SU Student Section loudly chanted Chevy Troutman did the opposite of spiting if you catch my draft
Another idea for an article would be to rank the top 10 current ACC rivalries excluding Maryland(obviously Duke-UNC would be #1) and then give a future top 10 list. JB has been saying the ACC should end the season with more rivalries and not just Duke-North Carolina. I mean it would be easy to go Duke-UNC, Wake-NC State, Miami-FSU, Clemson-Ga. Tech, SU-Louisville, UVA-VPI, then since we have 15 teams rotate Pitt-BC-ND have two of three play and the other gets the last week off each year.

Annnnd my Collins piece is live: http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-bask...biggest-challenge-is-replacing-chris-collins/

I only get paid on page clicks and ad revenue, so feel free to share this around. The more eyeballs on this thing, the more money I can make.

This was a good comparison. Nice piece.

If a basketball program was a band, the assistant coach would play bass. They aren’t flashy, but until they are gone, you just don’t realize how crucial they are to the harmony.
Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2013/09/19/dukes-biggest-challenge-is-replacing-chris-collins/?qQ6hTkluY6W1wm1E.99

How about piece about Maryland's last year in the ACC... through the eyes of the other schools. Lots of fans of the Carolina schools never considered MD a "real" ACC team. Would be interesting to see how the other teams view Maryland's departure. You might get some contraversy going if you get some good quotes in this one. (I'm trying to think outside-the-box with non-SU topics in all these suggestions).

I am interested in the viability of the ACC and part of that is the exit fee. In that regard, will the Terps destroy the exit fee? If they don't, how will they pay it? Would payment change their whole calculus for leaving? Could they afford it? Would the ACC let them back in? A lot rides on these legal/financial decisions.

"A Friendly Guide for First Time Visitors: Explore the outlying suburbs of Syracuse (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens . . . now extended to include Atlantic City and Philadelphia)"

These aren't great, but with 7 articles per week, you'll need some material: 1) Do a series evaluating/comparing ACC front courts and back courts (lists are easy and fun to read); and 2) do a piece rating various ACC venues on the level of difficulty fans face getting tickets to mens basketball games.

Last edited:
Ooof. 44.5% at the 4 spot? I agree with your article. A ways to go to live up to his hype, and time is ticking...
Agreed. I feel like a sucker because when I watched his McDonald's game, I came away being more impressed with him than any other player. I was absolutely positive he would be a star. He has a long way to go to prove me right.

Jeff, just keep posting links when you think we'll find them interesting... and we'll obviously keep clicking them.

Agreed. I feel like a sucker because when I watched his McDonald's game, I came away being more impressed with him than any other player. I was absolutely positive he would be a star. He has a long way to go to prove me right.
Me too. With a name like McAdoo, I had to believe. Let's just hope he doesn't wake up against our guys. We have plenty of trees for him to "try" to shoot over. :)