Class of 2017 - OT Isaiah Wilson (NY) Committed to UGA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 OT Isaiah Wilson (NY) Committed to UGA

Agreed--this is the type of kid we need to land to take the next step.
Slight quibble. I would say that the type of player we need to land is the low "4-star", that is, full regional or borderline national prospect. If we can start getting 5 or 6 of those guys a year, that will be what I would consider the next level. This kid is a whole different level, top of the chart nationally. That's not our next step, IMO. It might be our third step from current.

Slight quibble. I would say that the type of player we need to land is the low "4-star", that is, full regional or borderline national prospect. If we can start getting 5 or 6 of those guys a year, that will be what I would consider the next level. This kid is a whole different level, top of the chart nationally. That's not our next step, IMO. It might be our third step from current.
Agreed - but, landing Wilson (especially since he goes to a school we've REALLY struggled to recruit) would perhaps signal something is changing to those low 4-star guys.

Guys like Daewood Davis are the ones we need to start landing consistently to take the next step. Wilson would be icing.

That's completely fair, and in the main I agree with you. The "next level" guys are the likes of Washington, Neal, Culpepper, etc. who will elavate the program.

That's completely fair, and in the main I agree with you. The "next level" guys are the likes of Washington, Neal, Culpepper, etc. who will elavate the program.
Yep, and we are indeed stepping out. :cool:

It will be awesome if we can get a commit from Moe Neal on August 1, then a 2017 commit from Washington the Younger shortly thereafter.

You're trying to intellectually rationalize not maximizing our recruiting capabilities. We seem to forget even average to poor teams start their transition to good teams by recruiting 1 or 2 top 4 star recruits. Its ok we get them. Convince yourself its ok to be good and to start signing a few top players. Is it Robert Washington or a local NYS recruit? Tim Green signed with SU in 1982 after coming off 4-6-1 and 2-9 seasons in 1981 and 1982. He went to the Cherry Bowl in 1985 as his only Bowl game but improved to 6-5 type records which got other top recruits interested to then take us to the next level. Who will be our next Tim Green type local recruit to turn heads and take us to next level of prominence.

I really think its our ability to recruit top Linemen, offensively and defensively. Really good skill players with average linemen are not a good combination.

You're trying to intellectually rationalize not maximizing our recruiting capabilities. We seem to forget even average to poor teams start their transition to good teams by recruiting 1 or 2 top 4 star recruits. Its ok we get them. Convince yourself its ok to be good and to start signing a few top players. Is it Robert Washington or a local NYS recruit? Tim Green signed with SU in 1982 after coming off 4-6-1 and 2-9 seasons in 1981 and 1982. He went to the Cherry Bowl in 1985 as his only Bowl game but improved to 6-5 type records which got other top recruits interested to then take us to the next level. Who will be our next Tim Green type local recruit to turn heads and take us to next level of prominence.
You misread me. I'm not saying we don't try to get kids like this. I'm saying they are not required for us to take another step forward. I'm not going to consider our trajectory suddenly broken if we don't get him (which will be difficult, given his school and the influence he gets from it). Maybe some day we will be in a position to say that if we are going to take the next step, we need to start landing ESPN top 10 players. We have a ways to go yet.

You misread me. I'm not saying we don't try to get kids like this. I'm saying they are not required for us to take another step forward. I'm not going to consider our trajectory suddenly broken if we don't get him (which will be difficult, given his school and the influence he gets from it). Maybe some day we will be in a position to say that if we are going to take the next step, we need to start landing ESPN top 10 players. We have a ways to go yet.

For me, the turning point is going to be when we land classes every year where 8 or 9 kids are ready to contribute immediately, and not because of depth or lack of talent concerns. And then we see the majority of that "field ready" group redshirt. I think we're at the point now of landing that level of talent per class but we're still not capable of redshirting the majority, if any, because we still have position and class imbalance.

jekelish said:
This kid is on a serious Syracuse spree on Twitter tonight. Following/retweeting/favoriting everything to do with SU.

Saw that... Great sign. Wish we could nab him now too. Wowza - talk about a great start. That would get some attention.

Saw that... Great sign. Wish we could nab him now too. Wowza - talk about a great start. That would get some attention.
Many of the top kids in that class have committed, I was shocked to see that.

If he plays for us, the band and fans better learn the "Wilson" chant ala Phish. It would be perfect.

Yep, and we are indeed stepping out. :cool:

It will be awesome if we can get a commit from Moe Neal on August 1, then a 2017 commit from Washington the Younger shortly thereafter.
Aapri may be short but he is lockdown.

I get the sneaking suspicion he's about to cut down his list...

Well, that was quicker than I expected...

Check out his new Twitter profile pic:

Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 11.27.44 PM.png

I sat across from the Rutgers commit from Poly Prep yesterday on the subway going to work. Took me a few minutes to dissuade myself from pulling a Roose Bolton and saying "Syracuse sends its regards."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom