OT March Madness officially starts tomorrow! | Syracusefan.com

OT March Madness officially starts tomorrow!

SWFLCUSE

All Conference
Tomorrow night at 7 pm on ESPN2 when 4th seeded FGCU(19-13) hosts 7th seeded Stetson(12-21). Both teams won their first two conference tournament games in convincing fashion and to top it all off these two teams met nine days ago at Stetson where the Hatters came back from an 18 point deficit to shock the Eagles.

Now here is the truly crazy part, even though Stetson is playing for the conference championship they are ineligible for the NCAA tournament due to failing to meet APR standards by one point. After losing their appeal to play in the big dance, Stetson and the Atlantic Sun petitioned for the Hatters to be eligible for the conference tournament due to the tiny size of the league with just eight teams. If Stetson couldn't play they would have to figure out the logistics of a seven team tournament so a committee of presidents voted to allow them to play.

If the Hatters pull off the upset over FGCU on the Eagle's home floor the regular season champion and last year's NCAA representative UNF would get the bid even though they loss to the Eagles by 33 in the semifinals.

After saying all that I am hoping that it is all a non factor and FGCU takes care of business, I'm thinking a final score somewhere in the neighborhood of 78-69 in favor of the Eagles

Huh, that's definitely an odd scenario.

Would the logistics of a seven team tourney be THAT daunting? Top three teams get a bye. Done.

Ghost said:
Huh, that's definitely an odd scenario. Would the logistics of a seven team tourney be THAT daunting? Top three teams get a bye. Done.
I think it had something to do with minimum number of teams participating having to be at least 8 to get a bid. I did some research on it back in 2014 when the ruling was first coming down but I'll have to brush up on the finer details.

I think it had something to do with minimum number of teams participating having to be at least 8 to get a bid. I did some research on it back in 2014 when the ruling was first coming down but I'll have to brush up on the finer details.

That makes sense - thanks!

Make more sense then they couldn't figure out how to do a 7 team tourney. :)

FGCU 80, Stetson 78 (OT)

florida-gulf-coast-bench.gif

I was in the student section with my brother and a few friends for the game and I gotta say what a crazy game it was. I wish the refs let them play a little more, but I'm glad I was able to be a part of the court storm. In fact my brother is in the sportscenter highlight for about 3 seconds, it's only fitting because it's his birthday tomorrow.

I was in the student section with my brother and a few friends for the game and I gotta say what a crazy game it was. I wish the refs let them play a little more, but I'm glad I was able to be a part of the court storm. In fact my brother is in the sportscenter highlight for about 3 seconds, it's only fitting because it's his birthday tomorrow.

I could not have been too far from you. I was behind the kids that were holding the Terrell big head. Since I graduate in May, that was my last free ticket as a student, and I'm glad I took advantage! I give Stetson so much credit for playing this hard with absolutely nothing to play for. They are going to be a force in the A-Sun next year.

I keep reading that FGCU is likely in a 1st round game, as is 'Cuse if they don't beat Pitt. As an FGCU and Rome native that has bled Orange my entire life, I really hope they don't get each other in a 1st round game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom