OT: May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month | Syracusefan.com

OT: May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month

Eric15

Living Legend
I've been battling Lyme Disease for about 8 months now, so I wanted to share my experience with the board, and offer my support if anyone needs it.

Prior to last year, Lyme Disease to me seemed like an obscure thing that only rural woodsmen would acquire. But it's basically a statistical guarantee that if you live in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic, either you or someone in your family will acquire a tick-borne illness at some point in their life.

People who get bit by a tick, but see the "bulls-eye" rash and act quickly are the fortunate ones. They just take 4 weeks of oral antibiotics and it's gone, similar to something like strep throat. Unfortunately for many others like myself, I never saw the bite (it could have happened years ago), so the infection slowly worked its way into my central nervous system and is thus exponentially more difficult to kill.

Traditional Lyme antibody tests that you would get at a place like LabCorp yield a lot of false negatives. When my original test came back negative back in the fall, a wild goose chase for what was wrong with me ensued. I was tested for everything under the sun, e.g. Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Hodgkin's Lymphoma, etc. My primary care doctor even suggested that I might be depressed and I was imagining my symptoms (knee stiffness, crippling fatigue, brain fog, overnight sweating). It wasn't until I paid out of pocket to have my blood sent to a high-tech lab near Stanford that I definitively learned that I have Babesia Duncani, a tick-borne co-infection similar to Lyme.

I literally spent months planning a huge tailgate for family and friends for the Cuse/Maryland football game, but couldn't attend because I was so out of it. (probably a blessing in disguise, in retrospect).

After having an antibiotic intravenous picc line installed in my arm from January-March, I'm currently taking the drug Disulfarim, which is originally intended to treat alcoholism but has been shown to be very effective in killing Lyme bacteria. I've gone from about 2 out of 10 on the "feeling good" scale to fluctuating between 6-8 out of 10. So a lot of progress, but not quite to the level yet where I can exercise normally.

If you suspect you may be infected, it's absolutely imperative that you see a "Lyme-literate" physician. For example, Johns Hopkins is the best hospital in America, but they are basically on the level of Dr. Nick from The Simpsons in tick-borne disease sophistication.

So basically, I want to transition into "pay-it-forward" mode, so if you or anyone in your family thinks they may have a tick-borne illness, you can point them in my direction and I can help them navigate it as best I possibly can. Just PM me and I'll give you my email address and/or phone number.

And yes, Corona(virus) with Lyme is a solid Dad joke.

I've been battling Lyme Disease for about 8 months now, so I wanted to share my experience with the board, and offer my support if anyone needs it.

Prior to last year, Lyme Disease to me seemed like an obscure thing that only rural woodsmen would acquire. But it's basically a statistical guarantee that if you live in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic, either you or someone in your family will acquire a tick-borne illness at some point in their life.

People who get bit by a tick, but see the "bulls-eye" rash and act quickly are the fortunate ones. They just take 4 weeks of oral antibiotics and it's gone, similar to something like strep throat. Unfortunately for many others like myself, I never saw the bite (it could have happened years ago), so the infection slowly worked its way into my central nervous system and is thus exponentially more difficult to kill.

Traditional Lyme antibody tests that you would get at a place like LabCorp yield a lot of false negatives. When my original test came back negative back in the fall, a wild goose chase for what was wrong with me ensued. I was tested for everything under the sun, e.g. Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Hodgkin's Lymphoma, etc. My primary care doctor even suggested that I might be depressed and I was imagining my symptoms (knee stiffness, crippling fatigue, brain fog, overnight sweating). It wasn't until I paid out of pocket to have my blood sent to a high-tech lab near Stanford that I definitively learned that I have Babesia Duncani, a tick-borne co-infection similar to Lyme.

I literally spent months planning a huge tailgate for family and friends for the Cuse/Maryland football game, but couldn't attend because I was so out of it. (probably a blessing in disguise, in retrospect).

After having an antibiotic intravenous picc line installed in my arm from January-March, I'm currently taking the drug Disulfarim, which is originally intended to treat alcoholism but has been shown to be very effective in killing Lyme bacteria. I've gone from about 2 out of 10 on the "feeling good" scale to fluctuating between 6-8 out of 10. So a lot of progress, but not quite to the level yet where I can exercise normally.

If you suspect you may be infected, it's absolutely imperative that you see a "Lyme-literate" physician. For example, Johns Hopkins is the best hospital in America, but they are basically on the level of Dr. Nick from The Simpsons in tick-borne disease sophistication.

So basically, I want to transition into "pay-it-forward" mode, so if you or anyone in your family thinks they may have a tick-borne illness, you can point them in my direction and I can help them navigate it as best I possibly can. Just PM me and I'll give you my email address and/or phone number.

You’re the man, keep battlin. Glad you’re feeling better.

My wife and daughter have both had multi-year battles with tick-borne diseases, and neither will ever be 100% “right” again.

Our daughter missed half of 5th grade, half of 7th grade, and the entire year of 8th grade to these insidious illnesses.

She’s almost got PTSD now, being cooped up at home again, since that’s how she spent the formative years of her childhood.
They are just - gone.

144% concur that you must find a Lyme literate physician, and/or alternative / homeopathic options as well.

It’s the combination of all of those things that have my ladies to the point of relative “wellness” that they are currently
Standard, corporate medicine and pharma was almost useless.

The parks around Columbia MD look like tick heaven with plenty of deer for transport. (I think we are neighbors. I live just north of rt. 100 near Long Gate.)
The disease has followed me around. I lived not far from Lyme, CT in the late 70's. Moved to upstate NY in the 80's. I have seen it deeply affect adults and children.
Thanks for sharing your story. It may help somebody on the forum. I hope it gets better for you.

Last edited:
The parks around Columbia MD look like tick heaven with plenty of deer for transport. (I think we are neighbors. I live just north of rt. 100 near Long Gate.)
The disease has followed me around. I lived not far from Lyme, CT in the late 70's. Moved to upstate NY in the 80's. I have seen it deeply affect adults and children.
Thanks for sharing your story. It may help somebody on the forum. I hope it gets better for you.

We are definitely neighbors. I’ll reach out to you whenever there is SU sports next and we can catch a game together.

Much thanks for sharing this.
Similar to you, we went to doctors for 7 or 8 years (multiple infectious disease, multiple orthopedists, hospitals) only years later to find out I had Parvovirus B19 (not the same as Parvovirus, what cats and dogs can get). Was accidentally created by a doctor in Australia.

A doctor in Jersey City found this out by having me take specific tests for it. My body will always think I have it, keeps thinking to attack it and of course, that manifests into arthritis. Could have led to Rheumatoid Arthritis. Could have died in the two week time frame when I got it.

Either way, I am luckily ok now. I can control the arththritic flare-ups with a perscription medicine but have even moved past that with a little help from the occasional Turmeric supplement.

Some horror stories from the first few years though. My flareups were so bad and painful, it looked like my kneecap was the size of a melon, couldn't even turn in bed. Hospital took so many ccs of fluid out of my knee it was insane! I yuked right outside of the hospital when I walked out. Another time they extracted fluid, orthopedist said no matter how I numb your knee, this will hurt like you have never felt. He wasn't kidding. Wy wife and son told me I scared the entire office with my scream even though I usually take every pain on the chin without issue.

Same doctor once brought in other doctors from the hospital just for me, and they were all "hey, I've never seen this before, never heard of this, have no idea etc". Just what you want to hear. Regardless, I am very lucky it didn't lead to worse or Rheumatoid, but it rarely causes arthritis like I had, sometimes have. So thankful I found a creative doctor close to NYC. It was another doctor in the Jersey burbs that told me to go towards the city to find the answer.

Friend of mine went for a hike in the woods last week. Pulled 8 ticks off himself when he got home. Also to note, tics like long grass as well. There is a Lyme literate Dr in Plattsburgh NY. My wife took her cousin to her . Name escapes me right now.

Long grass, short grass, bushes, and brush are all havens for ticks. The deer tick is the primary spreader of Lyme Disease, and the primary mammals that spread it are mice, chipmunks, moles and other small animals that spread it to the larger animals. The small animals do not generally have adult ticks. We have 35 acres of woods, meadows, and swampland and we have to be extra careful. We keep the dogs treated but one of them got Lyme before we started doing this. If you're going into infested areas (most of the NE), you can spray a light mist of diluted permethrin on your clothes and let them dry before wearing them. It kills Ticks on contact. Always do the inspection afterward for places you can't see, and that is always better with a partner in crime.

Long grass, short grass, bushes, and brush are all havens for ticks. The deer tick is the primary spreader of Lyme Disease, and the primary mammals that spread it are mice, chipmunks, moles and other small animals that spread it to the larger animals. The small animals do not generally have adult ticks. We have 35 acres of woods, meadows, and swampland and we have to be extra careful. We keep the dogs treated but one of them got Lyme before we started doing this. If you're going into infested areas (most of the NE), you can spray a light mist of diluted permethrin on your clothes and let them dry before wearing them. It kills Ticks on contact. Always do the inspection afterward for places you can't see, and that is always better with a partner in crime.
We use permethrin on clothes every camping trip. Pulled two ticks off the top of my son’s head and two off my dog, rest in peace. Never on a camping trip!

I’ve done a ton of hiking, camping, etc. and have never seen a tick on myself...which kinda worries me in a way. Am I missing them?

I’ve done a ton of hiking, camping, etc. and have never seen a tick on myself...which kinda worries me in a way. Am I missing them?

True story. Years ago while showering and cleaning the personal areas, I thought I may have had a Klingon around Uranus...only not yours, mine. I eventually pulled it free and when it fell to the shower base, it MOVED. Well, not IT moved, but whatever fell to the base. I picked it up put it in a jar and looked at it later. You guessed it...tick. once they get under your clothes, anything goes.

A bit more info:

“How long does it take for a tick to become fully engorged? It takes two to three days for nymphs and four to seven days for adults to become fully engorged. Usually it takes 36 hours for a tick to infect you, IF it has Lyme bacteria. Remember, not all deer ticks are infected.”

So they don't bite you and leave. They bury their head in you and hold tight with barbs. Often when you pull them off (if they are attached), the head doesn't come with the body. Wash thoroughly with antiseptic and go to the convenient care. They are disgusting little things.

A bit more info:

“How long does it take for a tick to become fully engorged? It takes two to three days for nymphs and four to seven days for adults to become fully engorged. Usually it takes 36 hours for a tick to infect you, IF it has Lyme bacteria. Remember, not all deer ticks are infected.”

So they don't bite you and leave. They bury their head in you and hold tight with barbs. Often when you pull them off (if they are attached), the head doesn't come with the body. Wash thoroughly with antiseptic and go to the convenient care. They are disgusting little things.
Both of the following articles mention they do leave, eventually.
“If you don't find the tick and remove it first, it will fall off on its own once it is full.”

“After a period of up to 10 days of drawing blood from your body, an engorged tick can detach itself and fall off.”

Thanks for raising awareness Eric. It’s honestly shocking how little the medical community knows about this disease. After getting bit, I went through 6 months of feeling awful and getting different diagnoses by different doctors, and after 3 rounds of antibiotics whatever I had went away. I consider myself extremely lucky.

We are definitely neighbors. I’ll reach out to you whenever there is SU sports next and we can catch a game together.

That would be great. I work weekends, so sometimes its hard to get away, but I'd love the chance.

Both of the following articles mention they do leave, eventually.
“If you don't find the tick and remove it first, it will fall off on its own once it is full.”

“After a period of up to 10 days of drawing blood from your body, an engorged tick can detach itself and fall off.”

Although, that's true, they don't just necessarily fall off and die. The female is the attacher and many times there is a male under the female, and when she falls off (and it could be in your house), she will go off and lay eggs that will become lots off happy little suckers. It's like a freakin' science fiction movie. Enjoy your hike..lol.

I used to find a lot of ticks on myself when I was hiking and doing field work. Haven't had a single one since I started wearing permethrin-treated pants.

Also, here in the Albany area, ticks have tested positive in the last year for Powassan Virus, which only takes a few minutes to contract (rather than ~36 hours). There's no effective treatment, the mortality rate is around 10%, and half of the people that do survive are left with permanent neurological issues. Right on cue, there was a piece on this recently:

Time to get ticked off - again

The deer tick is the Lyme bad boy. Think it used to be about 20% carried Lyme now they say 50%, but who the heck knows treat them all the same. Spray the clothes with permethrin, particularly your shoes and pant legs inside and out around the cuff up to the knee. Keep the ticks on the outside, tuck your pants into your socks and your shirt into your pants. Wear long sleeves. Spray with deet bug spray.

When your done outside take the clothes off outside, check yourself out, shower and check again. That’s the routine where I live. Burn the clothes. Not really, dryer then washer then dryer again. High heat kills them.

ive lost count how many times I’ve been treated. I think it’s 6 times and twice already this year. A few weeks ago I pulled 1 out of my leg and a week later one out of my head. Had another crawling up my leg last week after blowing leaves for 5 minutes. All of my encounters are from normal back yard spring cleaning. It’s insane. Leaves, they love the leaves. Keep them picked up and the yard clean and cut. Get rid of brush, woodpiles and trees. You want to eliminate the rodent habitat as much as the tick habitat and get the sun in.

mice, chipmunks, squirrels, birds, all the rodents that spread the Lyme because those are the animals the nymphal ticks first feed on. I control the mice and chipper populations best I can. Soak dryer lint with permithian and set bait traps - I pack paper towel tubes. The mice use the stuff for nesting and the permithian will kill any ticks they bring back to the nest. Seems to work but I’m also forced to spray the back yard with bug killer because of the numbers. Every year gets worse than the year before. I’m honestly far more worried in my life about ticks than corona.

and if you pull a tick, call the dr and get the quick hit doxy 200mg. They’ll ask how long was it on, is there a rash, symptoms, blah blah. If they’re being resistant to treat just lie. The whole reactive approach is BS. As far as I’m concerned if you can transfer blood to a tick they can infect you. 24 hrs seems like nonsense to me. I asked a Dr once why that’s the magic number and he couldn’t answer.

Last edited:
Yeah, last year where I live around New Jersey seemed to have exponential tick sightings. This year I've already laid tick traps (permethian soaked cotton in toilet paper roll). Need to retrap again as half life of permethian is a month or something like that. Real concerned for my two young kids getting ticks in the yard.

Also, get rid of any Barberry bushes (Japanese in particular but I'd get rid of them all). These are consider tick motels. Learn to identify them and avoid them while hiking too.

thx for this. I got Lyme last month. Red bite I should have focused on sooner turned dark and a bit painful and then I had fever for 2 days. On verge of going to ER per my doctor but after 2 rough nights fever broke and was on antibiotics 3 weeks. Curious if you think I’ll be effected by this down the road? Thank you and good luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom