OT: NCAA Tournament Square Pools Are Up... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: NCAA Tournament Square Pools Are Up...

I’m not complaining.

I have 8 (winning) and 1 (losing). So the closest possible spread that could be a winner for me is 7 points. That wouldn’t really be a close game by NCAAT standards. Hypothetically, I could root for 78-61 or 68-61 but not 71-68.

Under the old format, all three options would be in play. So a close win, ‘medium’ win, and big win were all in play, it was just a matter of which seed did which. The new way takes one of the possibilities away.
You still have the same chance of winning anything over the course of the tournament. That hasn't changed.

You still have the same chance of winning anything over the course of the tournament. That hasn't changed.

Agreed. And like I had mentioned, I’m pretty sure I haven’t won once in the few years I’ve participated, so change could be good.

I’m coming at this from the angle of watching and rooting for games. It’s a little bit less engaging, imo. Maybe once the ball gets rolling that won’t be the case.

Agreed. And like I had mentioned, I’m pretty sure I haven’t won once in the few years I’ve participated, so change could be good.

I’m coming at this from the angle of watching and rooting for games. It’s a little bit less engaging, imo. Maybe once the ball gets rolling that won’t be the case.
This will be your year. One of those close games in the later rounds will fall your way when teams start fouling at the end and the final margin grows. :)

After thinking about it, the format change is just as enjoyable as the previous iteration. Keep on keeping on.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pool for sweet 16 games since I didn't win anything for rounds 1 and 2.

I just checked and SNAP, Winna Winna Chicken Dinna! I hit on the UCLA/ZAGS game. Gonna buy a growler of IPA today off the proceeds - all 20 bucks of it. :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot about the pool for sweet 16 games since I didn't win anything for rounds 1 and 2.

I just checked and SNAP, Winna Winna Chicken Dinna! I hit on the UCLA/ZAGS game. Gonna buy a growler of IPA today off the proceeds - all 20 bucks of it. :)
Hit that game on one of the Big pools

And I just won again in the fau/ksu game tonight!! Yayyy for me. Sweet sauce. That now buys me three growlers. Daddy is getting drunk tonight.

Last edited:
And I just won again in the fau/ksu game tonight!! Yayyy for me. Sweet sauce. That now buys me three growlers. Daddy is getting drunk tonight.
Very nice of KSU to not get a shot attempt there.

Hello All, I am just seeing this thread. Interesting thoughts. I wanted to try something different this year, but from the organizational end, I actually prefer the old format also. I could pre-fill the games on the spreadsheet. It's a little thing but would save me some time. As far as the numbers and play, it doesn't matter to me much. But, I will probably go back to the old format next year. I hope that does not confuse anyone.

"I’m not complaining.

I have 8 (winning) and 1 (losing). So the closest possible spread that could be a winner for me is 7 points. That wouldn’t really be a close game by NCAAT standards. Hypothetically, I could root for 78-61 or 68-61 but not 71-68.

Under the old format, all three options would be in play. So a close win, ‘medium’ win, and big win were all in play, it was just a matter of which seed did which. The new way takes one of the possibilities away."

That hit tonight!

"I’m not complaining.

Under the old format, all three options would be in play. So a close win, ‘medium’ win, and big win were all in play, it was just a matter of which seed did which. The new way takes one of the possibilities away."

That hit tonight!

The new format is certainly working out for me!

What are your thoughts on the 10 pool? The last couple of years it has had a pretty rough time filling (this might be because of Syracuse missing the tourney) and all those 5 dollar payouts are kind of pain. Do we up it to 20, eliminate it, or keep it as is?

What are your thoughts on the 10 pool? The last couple of years it has had a pretty rough time filling (this might be because of Syracuse missing the tourney) and all those 5 dollar payouts are kind of pain. Do we up it to 20, eliminate it, or keep it as is?
I'd like to see it stay either as is, or bumping it up to $20.

I'm in favor of bumping it up to $20

I've had better luck with the new format. I'm good either way.

I can live with $20. As long as I get to win something more often than once every 5 years.

I can live with $20. As long as I get to win something more often than once every 5 years.
I agree $20 or $25. The payout at $10 just doesn't seem to be worth it, especially when compared to the big pool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom