OT. Post your pet pic | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OT. Post your pet pic

I see my neighbors walking their backyard picking up poop and smile as I yell at my kid to go clean his cat's litter box. I'd love to have a dog, but all things being equal, I'm perfectly happy with our cat right now.

A few years back we had a "cat problem" in out neighborhood - as in, too many of 'em. They'd yowl all night, get into fights, poop in my garden :mad:, and pee under my deck (think: the smell). So I went to the local Canadian tire to get a BB gun. I explained what I was after and the guy pulls out this thing that looked like an AR-15. I said "Woah! What happens if I miss? It's a residential neighborhood. And I don't want to kill 'em. I just want to make 'em run away and not come back." He seemed disappointed. So I got this small little BB pistol with a range of about 30-40 ft. But I still couldn't plunk 'em. After getting one firmly in the sights, I said "That's someone else's pet," and couldn't do it. But I'm hell on the freaking magpies with it. Nasty varmints! LMAO!! :cool:

Family_Lines_magpie.jpg

Last edited:
One day last summer, I let the dogs out and I heard a lot of barking. I thought there was probably a bunch of birds they like bark at. A few minutes later, I saw them take off running from the deck. I looked out and they was going after a wild animal in the back yard. Fortunately, I was able to call them back before they got too close. I went and grabbed my camera after I put the dogs in the house.

image.jpg

One day last summer, I let the dogs out and I heard a lot of barking. I thought there was probably a bunch of birds they like bark at. A few minutes later, I saw them take off running from the deck. I looked out and they was going after a wild animal in the back yard. Fortunately, I was able to call them back before they got too close. I went and grabbed my camera after I put the dogs in the house.

View attachment 9575

You have remarkably well trained dogs, my friend. :)

View attachment 9575

Strange, but since I moved to North Carolina I have neither seen nor smelled one here. Happened weekly during the summers back in New York.

Edit: and I have been here 7 years!

View attachment 9575
When I was a child, I had a pet skunk. Her name was Homer (we didn't know she was a she when we named her). We got her as a tiny infant after her mother had been run over by a bulldozer (her eyes were still closed, and we initially kept her alive with milk from a doll's baby bottle). As she approached puberty, we found a vet who "de-oderized" her. She was sweet, smart and affectionate. She was automatically housebroken (she used a litter box), and she loved my mother and followed her around as a dog would do. She was an amazing pet. My favorite pet ever.

Last edited:
Strange, but since I moved to North Carolina I have neither seen nor smelled one here. Happened weekly during the summers back in New York.

Edit: and I have been here 7 years!

They're hell up in the NE along with the raccoons. The outlaws in Toronto have the devil's own time with them. They knock over the garbage cans and it springs the latches. They're quite clever. Varmints!

Last edited:
When I was a child, I had a pet skunk. Her name was Homer (we didn't know she was a she when we named her). We got her as a tiny infant after her mother had been run over by a bulldozer (her eyes were still closed, and we initially kept her alive with milk from a doll's baby bottle). As she approached puberty, we found a vet who "de-oderized" her. She was sweet, smart and affectionate. She was automatically housebroken (she used a litter box), and she followed my mother around as a dog would do. She was an amazing pet. Probably my favorite pet ever.

A friendly skunk. I like it! :)

When I was a child, I had a pet skunk. Her name was Homer (we didn't know she was a she when we named her). We got her as a tiny infant after her mother had been run over by a bulldozer (her eyes were still closed, and we initially kept her alive with milk from a doll's baby bottle). As she approached puberty, we found a vet who "de-oderized" her. She was sweet, smart and affectionate. She was automatically housebroken (she used a litter box), and she followed my mother around as a dog would do. She was an amazing pet. Probably my favorite pet ever.

That is a neat story. I had no idea they could be de-odorized. How long did she live?

That is a neat story. I had no idea they could be de-odorized. How long did she live?

When I was in elementary school, our science teacher had one and used to bring it around to the classrooms. It was quite docile and we all thought it quite friendly, even though it was probably just looking for pocket snacks. :)

I have no idea how long they live in the wild. We had her for about eight years ... from when I was in 5th grade to when I was a freshman in college. Her only downside as a pet was that she was nocturnal and would wander around the house all night... with her little toe-nails going click-click-click on the the hardwood floors. One night, she got stuck behind the upright piano and started to scream. Another night, she climbed into bed to be with my mother, and my amorous father grabbed a skunk when he thought he was grabbing my mother (we laughed about that for weeks).

The craziest Homer story occurred one night when we returned home from someplace and we saw Homer in the back yard (we thought we had left her in the house). My father went over to grab her ... just as my mother opened the door and yelled to my father that Homer was inside the house. My father grabbed that wild skunk by its tail and tossed it as one would toss a javelin. It was so startled ... that it never sprayed.

Last edited:
I have no idea how long they live in the wild. We had her for about eight years ... from when I was in 5th grade to when I was a freshman in college. Her only downside as a pet was that she was nocturnal and would wander around the house all night... with her little toe-nails going click-click-click on the the hardwood floors. One night, she got stuck behind the upright piano and started to scream. Another night, she climbed into bed with my parents, and my amorous father grabbed a skunk when he thought he was grabbing my mother (we laughed about that for weeks).

The craziest Homer story occurred one night when we returned home from someplace and we saw Homer in the back yard (we had left her in the house). My father went over to grab her ... just as my mother opened the door and yelled to my father that Homer was inside the house. My father tossed that wild skunk by its tail as one would toss a javelin. It was so startled ... that it never sprayed.

Yes, if you lift them by the tail, they can't plant their front feet so they can spray. That's predicated, of course, on you being unlucky, crazy, or ballsy enough to get that close to one, LOL!

This is Blue, and he hates Georgetown.

Blue.jpg

I also have 2 cats (Phantom and Domino) who we love dearly...and so does Blue, so don't be talkin' bad about cats! They are just camera shy or in other words, "Human, you will not take my picture!' ;)

This is Blue, and he hates Georgetown.

View attachment 9576

I also have 2 cats (Phantom and Domino) who we love dearly...and so does Blue, so don't be talkin' bad about cats! They are just camera shy or in other words, "Human, you will not take my picture!' ;)
He has the markings of a Gordon Setter, but he has short hair. What is he? He looks like he should be a snort-haired Gordon Setter. http://www.pups4sale.com.au/gordon_setter_pups.htm

When I was a child, I had a pet skunk. Her name was Homer (we didn't know she was a she when we named her). We got her as a tiny infant after her mother had been run over by a bulldozer (her eyes were still closed, and we initially kept her alive with milk from a doll's baby bottle). As she approached puberty, we found a vet who "de-oderized" her. She was sweet, smart and affectionate. She was automatically housebroken (she used a litter box), and she loved my mother and followed her around as a dog would do. She was an amazing pet. Probably my favorite pet ever.
That's amazing. I had no idea they could be domesticated and de-odorized. I've never heard of a pet skunk. Besides the wild, where would someone even get one?!?

That's amazing. I had no idea they could be domesticated and de-odorized. I've never heard of a pet skunk. Besides the wild, where would someone even get one?!?
My uncle was a heavy equipment operator and was driving a bulldozer that ran over a skunk's nest, killing the mother and all but one of the babies (which, by the way, are called kittens). He felt terrible about it, so he picked up this tiny creature with unopened eyes and put it in his pocket. At the end of the day, it was miraculously still alive. Knowing that my mother and I loved animals, he brought it to our house. It was more dead than alive. We stayed up all night keeping it warm and feeding it warm milk from a doll's baby bottle. Somehow, it was still alive the next day, and it kept getting bigger and stronger as we continued to improvise ways to take care of it.

Suddenly, it started to develop its scent gland... which is set off, involuntarily, by stamping its feet and raising its tail when it is startled. We realized we could not keep her in the house once that began to happen, but we also realized we could not let her loose because all she knew was humans and living in a house. So my mother found the only vet for miles around that would operate to remove the scent gland (a very messy operation). We had very little discretionary money... and my father could not believe that my mother spent what he considered a fortune on this little skunk, but she did.

Odd epilogue: My uncle died at age 95 the day we beat Oklahoma in 2003, and I was asked to give the eulogy at his funeral. One of the stories I told was how he was responsible for me having the best pet ever.

Last edited:
My uncle was a heavy equipment operator and was driving a bulldozer that ran over a skunk's nest, killing the mother and all but one of the babies. He felt terrible about it, so he picked up this tiny creature with unopened eyes and put it in his pocket. At the end of the day, it was miraculously still alive. Knowing that my mother and I loved animals, he brought it to our house. It was more dead than alive. We stayed up all night keeping it warm and feeding it milk from a doll's baby bottle. Somehow, it was still alive the next day... and it just kept getting bigger and stronger as we continued to improvise ways to take care of it.

Suddenly, it started to develop its scent gland... which is set off, involuntarily, by stamping its feet and raising its tail when it is startled. We realized we could not keep her in the house once that began to happen, but we also realized we could not let her loose because all she knew was humans and living in a house. So my mother found the only vet for miles around that would operate to remove the scent gland (a very messy operation). We had very little discretionary money... and my father could not believe that my mother spend what seemed to him like a fortune on this little skunk, but she did.

Odd epilogue: My uncle died the day we beat Oklahoma in 2003, and I was asked to give the eulogy at his funeral. One of the stories I told was how he was responsible for me having the best pet ever.

Thanks for sharing that, cto. Stories like this make me glad not only that I know other people and their pets. But also that there are people I don't even know, yet am comforted because they will do the right thing regardless. One more skunk this way or that way doesn't really matter. What matters is that someone(s) made a choice to to do the right thing and protect a life, which is more revealing of who we are than a simple basketball game.

But, Go Orange, nonetheless! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_7296.jpeg

That's Ernie our Polydactyl Cat. We named him Ernie after Ernest Hemingway, who was also a lover of Polydactyl Cats (aka Cats with extra fingers and toes.) My fiancee and I got engaged in Key West a few summers ago, and visited the Hemmingway house, where many Polydactyls roam, so once we saw that this one had some extra digits, the name made sense.

He's a true Poly, you can see his front "thumb" on his left front paw in this photo. Usually cats have five toes on the front and four on the back, but he's got six on the front and five on the back. It's rarer for Polys to have extras on both.

Apparently these types of cats are more common in New England (where we currently are) as they were bred to be ship's cats. The extra fingers and toes apparently gave the cats better grip on the rolling ship decks at sea.

If you're interested, here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat

Last edited:
pug and skunk.jpg

Homer the skunk and Toughie the pug. They got along very well. Sorry for the lousy quality, but picture was taken circa 1955 on a Kodak Brownie. Homer was a very pretty skunk. Perfect V down her back. And Toughie was a feisty little pug. They were friends -- perhaps because we had Homer before we got Toughie. It probably would not have worked if Toughie were there first.

Last edited:
View attachment 9578

That's Ernie our Polydactyl Cat. We named him Ernie after Ernest Hemingway, who was also a lover of Polydactyl Cats (aka Cats with extra fingers and toes.) My fiancee and I got engaged in Key West a few summers ago, and visited the Hemmingway house, where many Polydactyls roam, so once we saw that this one had some extra digits, the name made sense.

He's a true Poly, you can see his front "thumb" on his left front paw in this photo. Normal cats have five toes on the front and four on the back, but he's got six on the front and five on the back, which is more rare to have extras on both.

Apparently these types of cats are more common in New England (where we currently are) as they were bred to be ship's cats. The extra fingers and toes apparently gave the cats better grip on the rolling ship decks at sea.

If you're interested, here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat
I have seen those cats at the Hemingway house in Key West. It is amazing how they pass down that gene from generation to generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom