OT: Superbowl Pool Update... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Superbowl Pool Update...

There's pretty close to a 50/50 split with how my co-workers have seen them. Some of them said they make it a point to bring this up ahead of time to avoid confusion, which is what I should have done (hindsight being 20/20 and whatnot). ftr, our office pool has always used the 4th quarter score because somebody brought up this scenario years ago and it was determined to be the fairest way to handle it.

The 'oh well' mindset probably sums this up best. It's like playing a pickup basketball game by 1s and 2s instead of 2s and 3s. It creates imbalances but people just generally don't care so they keep doing it.

I doubt any credible office pool uses the 4th quarter score when the game went to overtime. Nuzzi has run this pool for 15 years without even a hint of confusion as to the rules. That's 15 years, and thousands of entries. ZERO problems.

The only imbalance is in your thinking. I had thought you understood why you were wrong, but you seem to be doubling down on your nonsense. It's time to get over it, and you owe him an apology.

There's pretty close to a 50/50 split with how my co-workers have seen them. Some of them said they make it a point to bring this up ahead of time to avoid confusion, which is what I should have done (hindsight being 20/20 and whatnot). ftr, our office pool has always used the 4th quarter score because somebody brought up this scenario years ago and it was determined to be the fairest way to handle it.

The 'oh well' mindset probably sums this up best. It's like playing a pickup basketball game by 1s and 2s instead of 2s and 3s. It creates imbalances but people just generally don't care so they keep doing it.

I don't think most people care because, yes, while you have one less possibility, it doesn't mean you have less probability. I would way rather have 0-0, 3-3, or 7-7 than 2-anything. 7 and 3 are the primary scoring options in football, 10 points is very common.

But, yes, shitty draws are possible. That is why it is all random.

I doubt any credible office pool uses the 4th quarter score. Nuzzi has run this pool for 15 years without even a hint of confusion as to the rules. That's 15 years, and thousands of entries. ZERO problems.

The only imbalance is in your thinking. I had thought you understood why you were wrong, but you seem to be doubling down on your nonsense. It's time to get over it, and you owe him an apology.

I owe him an apology? I've already said numerous times he's paying it correctly based on how he set it up and admitted my mistaken assumptions. In multiple posts. I got over the 'lost' money pretty quickly and have just been debating the math behind choosing final over 4th quarter scores. The math is on my side. How he set it up is on his side. His pool his rules.

Doubt as much as you like whether or not my office pool, other pools I've been in, or other office pools use the 4th quarter score. I really don't care. But don't come here and tell me who I do and do not owe an apology to or give me a history lesson on how successfully he's run the pool. I've also thanked him numerous times for the time and effort he puts into this.

This has likely never been an issue because there's never been a Super Bowl that's gone into overtime. Maybe using the final instead of the 4th quarter was a decision made with the knowledge about the mathematical disadvantage, maybe it wasn't. IDK. But I feel like debating the merits of it, so I'll debate the merits of it at my leisure, thank you very much.

I don't think most people care because, yes, while you have one less possibility, it doesn't mean you have less probability. I would way rather have 0-0, 3-3, or 7-7 than 2-anything. 7 and 3 are the primary scoring options in football, 10 points is very common.

But, yes, shitty draws are possible. That is why it is all random.

Some numbers are worse than others and it's a game of luck, so it is what it is. My only issue (disclaimer: not that I'm trying to change anything at this point. Just feel like debating it) is that excluding score combinations takes the 'luck of the draw' out of it to a degree and doesn't make all 100 squares equal (or as equal as they would otherwise be).

If we consider the possible scores between 0-59, there are 36 chances for a number set with 2 different numbers to hit. With equal numbers for the final, there are only 30. Some numbers are better than others, but the missing combinations are missing, nonetheless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom