OT: Syracuse Chiefs (Step Up Fans) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse Chiefs (Step Up Fans)

So what do you do if you absolutely hate watching baseball? It would be a toss-up between going to a baseball game or watching Rutgers football highlights. :eek:

Went to the playoff game Friday night...gotta say I was surprised more fans didn't go. For a playoff game I thought it would be a huge crowd but it really wasn't. The fans that were there were great and into the ballgame.

One of the problems I noticed was that while the crowd wasn't big it was bigger than your average Friday night game and all the concession stands couldn't handle he volume. The left field stand had only 1 girl working the counter and it was a nightmare, long wait. Some of the other stands had 30-45 min waits. One person I was with went to get something and missed like 4 innings waiting in line. Poor planning by the Chiefs in that regard.

Stern said:
Went to the playoff game Friday night...gotta say I was surprised more fans didn't go. For a playoff game I thought it would be a huge crowd but it really wasn't.
Announced crowd was something like 8K. I don't live locally, but always try and catch the Chiefs when I'm home -- and have never been there with more than 2K people. Live in DC, and don't begrudge the Nats for any of their call-ups -- they're simply more important -- but Smorol is the truth, and the Chiefs should be supported.

Todd Gack said:
Announced crowd was something like 8K. I don't live locally, but always try and catch the Chiefs when I'm home -- and have never been there with more than 2K people. Live in DC, and don't begrudge the Nats for any of their call-ups -- they're simply more important -- but Smorol is the truth, and the Chiefs should be supported.

Smorol is a great guy and he really puts the fans first. Stands outside the main gate after every game thanking people for coming.

I agree with you Bees. He certainly cares about the fan experience, but I was shocked when Dolgon said he's never spoken with anyone from the Chiefs. They need to pick his brain this winter to try and find ways to get more people in the seats. Honestly, SU and the Silver Knights should join them and the sports teams should work together to market/promote.

I was at the game last night too and thought the turn out was pretty good. I got there early and tailgated until game time, something that Jason should put on his list of promotions next year. It's the perfect place to tailgate and have a catch. They handed out rally towels to the first few thousand fans and the crowd was really into it. I'm proud of what Jason was able to do this year and he should be proud of himself. I've been to the ballpark so many times over the past few decades starting in the 70's when the Yankees were their parent club - the crowd last night reminded me of those days.

Syracuse is a baseball town and the Chiefs finally have the right guy running the show. And the argument that the ballpark should have been built downtown is a weak one considering the same people b*tch about having to pay to park. Not to mention where the park is now is about a 5 minute drive to the Dinosaur BarBQ.

rrlbees said:
Smorol is a great guy and he really puts the fans first. Stands outside the main gate after every game thanking people for coming.
Admittedly I only went to one game this year -- but it was a markedly improved experience. For one, the outfield wall was replete with advertisements -- show people others are interested. There was a bit on the screen at one point about SU, but they should go all in -- splice some Shafer pressers. And Smorol was a madman pregame -- show people that you've got something others don't. All this said, I also love baseball -- not as much as SU football, but more than SU basketball -- but it's an amazing way to while away your summers.

Friday was my 11th game this year. Great game, even though we lost), great atmosphere. The radio guys said more people were there than the combined crowds in Pawtucket.

My feeling that the ballpark is the best place to be on a hot summer night was confirmed. There was a nice breeze, especially in the upper deck, where I prefer to watch the game from.

It's too bad and frankly rather shabby that the team with the best record in the league, in fact in all of Triple A, with the "home field advantage" gets one home game. It wasn't the effect on the competition: good teams are hard to beat no matter where you play them. it's that the Chiefs are trying to crawl out from under a considerable financial load and these playoff games are the best way to improve their financial situation. I understand you can give the team with the HFA the first three games: the other team might not get a home game at all, as the Chiefs didn't when we had the big storm in '98. But there's not reason they can't do 2-2-1 and guarantee the team with the HFA at least a couple of home dates.

Jason Smorol puts on a great show, (and he's a big part of it). I loved having a fireworks show to say goodbye to the season. it was almost like Wisconsin's fans doing the chicken dance, win or lose. Nobody's going to make us unhappy!

Were you not entertained? Yes we were!

They are in First place and the currently the best team in AAA. Yet the Chiefs are in last place for attendance in AAA. Locals please go out and support the team.

International League: Attendance (click column headers to sort)
Team Yesterday Total Openings Average
Charlotte Knights 9,416 441,864 46 9,606
Indianapolis Indians 8,785 388,746 44 8,835
Lehigh Valley IronPigs 0 389,685 45 8,660
Columbus Clippers 0 403,249 47 8,580
Louisville Bats 8,944 369,306 48 7,694
Durham Bulls 0 348,213 47 7,409
Buffalo Bisons 8,378 297,741 42 7,089
Toledo Mud Hens 7,505 305,176 44 6,936
Pawtucket Red Sox 0 303,619 47 6,460
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders 5,065 234,645 43 5,457
Rochester Red Wings 0 254,595 47 5,417
Norfolk Tides 0 211,918 45 4,709
Gwinnett Braves 0 208,235 47 4,431
Syracuse Chiefs 0 148,988 43 3,465

http://www.milb.com/standings/index.jsp?lid=117

Ticket prices went up by a pretty fair amount. It used to be $7, now it's $12 (still a bargain, I get it, but that makes it less of an impulse buy), but the biggest problem is that they had the opportunity to partner with either the Mets or the Yankees again a few years ago, and picked Washington. Now, sure, Washington has had some great prospects pass through, but nobody follows the Nats, just like nobody around here follows Toronto. The management is ridiculous. They are oblivious. They don't pay attention to the community.

Ticket prices went up by a pretty fair amount. It used to be $7, now it's $12 (still a bargain, I get it, but that makes it less of an impulse buy), but the biggest problem is that they had the opportunity to partner with either the Mets or the Yankees again a few years ago, and picked Washington. Now, sure, Washington has had some great prospects pass through, but nobody follows the Nats, just like nobody around here follows Toronto. The management is ridiculous. They are oblivious. They don't pay attention to the community.

I don't think much of what you posted here is accurate. And it also sounds like you did not pay attention to the Chiefs this whole season. The management there is completely new and in my opinion was much more responsive to the community than they have been in the past 25 years.

The Yanks have been with associated with Scranton since 2007. Their working agreement was just renewed for another 4 years.

When were the $12 seats in the 100 level $7?

I don't think much of what you posted here is accurate. And it also sounds like you did not pay attention to the Chiefs this whole season. The management there is completely new and in my opinion was much more responsive to the community than they have been in the past 25 years.

??? What's not accurate? I usually go to a game a year, give or take, sometimes a couple games, because my employer has a box above home plate. When I used to go a couple years ago, good box seats were only $7. Now the lower tier is $12. It's on their web site, look it up. Yes, Smoral is a fun guy and full of energy. But you know, they used to do fireworks after the game before. They've been doing it for years. I never heard much about his innovative new promotions during the season. Oh sure, there was a veterans appreciation night and they had their dollar night, and corporations renting out the picnic / terrace area for events. I guess they had more paying customers but lower overall attendance, and they made a bit more money than they lost last year. So what part of it did I get wrong? I personally know 2 of the guys who are on the Chiefs Board, one of whom I work with and the other of whom used to be a client of mine when I was at another law firm.

IthacaMatt said:
??? What's not accurate? I usually go to a game a year, give or take, sometimes a couple games, because my employer has a box above home plate. When I used to go a couple years ago, good box seats were only $7. Now the lower tier is $12. It's on their web site, look it up. Yes, Smoral is a fun guy and full of energy. But you know, they used to do fireworks after the game before. They've been doing it for years. I never heard much about his innovative new promotions during the season. Oh sure, there was a veterans appreciation night and they had their dollar night, and corporations renting out the picnic / terrace area for events. I guess they had more paying customers but lower overall attendance, and they made a bit more money than they lost last year. So what part of it did I get wrong? I personally know 2 of the guys who are on the Chiefs Board, one of whom I work with and the other of whom used to be a client of mine when I was at another law firm.
For one, they didn't pass over the Mets or Yankees for Washington.

For one, they didn't pass over the Mets or Yankees for Washington.

Technically, I suppose you are right, because they never even made inquiries - with the Yankees because of the grudge held by the Simone's, who thankfully are gone. With the Mets, I don't understand why they never really got serious about opening up a dialogue with them.

But the point is, both franchises were available at the same time that the Chiefs' affiliation opened up, and they picked the wrong horse. They picked a team that nobody around here cares about, just like they did before with Toronto.

If you want to know why attendance sucks, you can start right there.

IthacaMatt said:

That's wrong. When Smorol came on he cut all tix prices. Home Plate boxes were 20, now they are 12. 1st and 3rd base boxes were 14, now they are 12. Reserved seats (the 200's) were 12, now they are 10. General admission costs were cut too.

IthacaMatt said:
Technically, I suppose you are right, because they never even made inquiries - with the Yankees because of the grudge held by the Simone's, who thankfully are gone. With the Mets, I don't understand why they never really got serious about opening up a dialogue with them. But the point is, both franchises were available at the same time that the Chiefs' affiliation opened up, and they picked the wrong horse. They picked a team that nobody around here cares about, just like they did before with Toronto. If you want to know why attendance sucks, you can start right there.

Btw, the nationals signed on before the new management team.

Bees, I think they dropped the reserve pricing but increased the GA pricing from last year.

BTW, if all the other IL teams used turnstile count I bet the Chiefs were not last.

IthacaMatt said:
Technically, I suppose you are right, because they never even made inquiries - with the Yankees because of the grudge held by the Simone's, who thankfully are gone. With the Mets, I don't understand why they never really got serious about opening up a dialogue with them.
This is simply not true -- they actively courted the Mets and the Mets chose Buffalo. Read this 2008 article from the Post-Standard: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/mets_pick_buffalo_over_chiefs.html.

And Rochester draws pretty well for being the Twins' club.

TexanMark said:
Bees, I think they dropped the reserve pricing but increased the GA pricing from last year. BTW, if all the other IL teams used turnstile count I bet the Chiefs were not last.

They all went down as did season tix. GA went from 8 to 5.

20 to 12
14 to 12
12 to 10
8 to 5

Plus military now gets in free.

They all went down as did season tix. GA went from 8 to 5.

20 to 12
14 to 12
12 to 10
8 to 5

Plus military now gets in free.
I won't question you..LOL..I know you have a connection there. Maybe I remember Smorol saying no more freebies but you can pay just $5 for GA. Anyways, I hope the Chiefs can cut their losses this year.

Was at a Charlotte Knights game in July and SRO tickets were $8 and $12. Plus for being a sellout, there were a lot of empty seats. Not sure how they counted game attendance, but I think a lot of their record attendance figures were helped by group purchases. If the Chiefs' did better money wise this year, then they might be heading in the right direction.

Btw, the nationals signed on before the new management team.

If by "new management team" you mean after the Simones were booted, then yes, but many of the Board members have been on the Chiefs' board for years and years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom