OT: Syracuse Chiefs (Step Up Fans) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse Chiefs (Step Up Fans)

This is simply not true -- they actively courted the Mets and the Mets chose Buffalo. Read this 2008 article from the Post-Standard: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/mets_pick_buffalo_over_chiefs.html.

And Rochester draws pretty well for being the Twins' club.

No, the they didn't "court" the Mets - they may have wanted them, but they hadn't made contact, Joanie Mahoney had drafted a letter but not sent it, etc. They would have liked to get the Mets, but Buffalo used third parties to have an agreement all sewn up before Syracuse ever got to make their pitch. They were outflanked, and were never in the game.

"Under baseball's rules, major and minor league teams seeking new affiliates are not allowed to negotiate with potential partners until Thursday. But teams often skirt the rules by having third parties make contact on behalf of the teams. ... A source with the Mets told The Post-Standard the Mets were moving to Buffalo. Sources in Syracuse said the Chiefs had planned for a Mets' visit Thursday, but have since put those plans on hold.

And while Onondaga County officials and other civic leaders have offered to greet Mets officials in Syracuse, they have not been told that such a meeting will occur.

Sources confirmed to the Buffalo News that the Mets are Buffalo's top choice, although Buffalo general manager Mike Buczkowski denied a deal was in place. He did say the team would like to strike a new deal quickly, and he thought there would be a press conference Friday or Monday."

No, the they didn't "court" the Mets - they may have wanted them, but they hadn't made contact, Joanie Mahoney had drafted a letter but not sent it, etc. They would have liked to get the Mets, but Buffalo used third parties to have an agreement all sewn up before Syracuse ever got to make their pitch. They were outflanked, and were never in the game.

"Under baseball's rules, major and minor league teams seeking new affiliates are not allowed to negotiate with potential partners until Thursday. But teams often skirt the rules by having third parties make contact on behalf of the teams. ... A source with the Mets told The Post-Standard the Mets were moving to Buffalo. Sources in Syracuse said the Chiefs had planned for a Mets' visit Thursday, but have since put those plans on hold.

And while Onondaga County officials and other civic leaders have offered to greet Mets officials in Syracuse, they have not been told that such a meeting will occur.

Sources confirmed to the Buffalo News that the Mets are Buffalo's top choice, although Buffalo general manager Mike Buczkowski denied a deal was in place. He did say the team would like to strike a new deal quickly, and he thought there would be a press conference Friday or Monday."

If they got the Mets they would've been stocked with crappy minor leaguers.

The quality of baseball with the Nats guys I would think would be a lot better.

Way to selectively quote that article -- what you didn't cut and paste:

"County Comptroller Bob Antonacci on Monday sent a letter to the Mets outlining why Syracuse is right for the Mets' minor league players, including 'a doting community which insures all the (players') needs are met, from baby sitters to excellent health care and easy access to an airport for the big trip to NYC.'

"Antonacci's letter was sent to Jeff Wilpon, the Mets' chief operating officer. It noted the stadium's new grass field, and the 'safe, clean neighborhoods for the players to live and concentrate on baseball.'"

IthacaMatt said:
If by "new management team" you mean after the Simones were booted, then yes, but many of the Board members have been on the Chiefs' board for years and years.

Well we're talking about the new management team and you referenced management. That would be Smorol. Who did re-up with the Nats for another 4 years. The Nats even said how much they loved the new management team.

there was a promotion going on there every night which they promoted on their Facebook page and Twitter account and it's a good bet they would have gone farther in the playoffs if the Nats hadn't raided the club. I think what Jason has done in one year is somewhat miraculous given the amount of negativity that has been built up against the Chiefs organization over the years and as evidenced here.

Eight years ago my step dad was slowly dying from liver failure. He was a very private man and did not tell anybody. A WWII Navy Vet who was at Normandy on a LST. (Never talked about it until the last year of his life - I never knew until then.) He was a quiet man and it was not easy to share small talk or strike up a conversation at will so calling him long distance were mainly short calls.

He was a hard working sheet metal worker and a life-long Yankees fan (but he hated A Rod even back then). He loved baseball and watched every night.

We always tried to get up to Utica every summer to spend a few days with him. In his last year, = the Utica Blue Sox were no more - so I took him to a Chiefs game. He absolutely loved it. Smiled the whole game, was a real chatterbox. It was so nice to see him happy.

He passed away that November. I went up to see him in the hospital and he talked about that game and the Yankees.

When I think of him, I think of that game. The Chiefs are a wonderful asset for the community. You should all take advantage of it. Going to a ball game is fun and take it from me - the memories are priceless
RIP Charlie

When I went to high school (late 70's, early 80's) Chiefs opening day was a skip day. I'm pretty sure that tradition has gone by the way side.

When I went to high school (late 70's, early 80's) Chiefs opening day was a skip day. I'm pretty sure that tradition has gone by the way side.

It was a skip day or you could actually bring in a note and say you were going to opening day and they let you. I love the Chiefs and this year reminded me so much of those days long ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom