OT USA Mexico @Azteca Mexico City Tuesday 10:30 PM ESPN | Syracusefan.com

OT USA Mexico @Azteca Mexico City Tuesday 10:30 PM ESPN

Alsacs

Living Legend
Add Jermaine Jones to list of USA players not playing. The US is in big trouble in this game I just hope the back 4 can slow down Chicharito Hernandez. I doubt Beasley can play that well 2 matches in a row and have no idea who Klinsman could put in the back 4. I think Maurice Edu will start for Jermaine Jones, but I have no clue. If we can get a point tomorrow nite I think we will qualify easily.

Also, I don't FIFA will rule in favor of Costa Rica's protest because the Costa Rica players appeared like they wanted to continue the match after the 55th minute delay. Also, the procedure of the protest states the Costa Rican captain has to approach the American captain and ask for the match to be delayed and I don't believe he did that. I think this is the cop out that FIFA will use to keep the match result the way it went.

Might as well send the U23's to compete in this one, because we ain't winning.

As for Costa Rica - let them pound sand. If FIFA grants them a rematch it will be a travesty. The conditions were bad, but no one was in any danger. If anything - the opposite. It even stopped our Central American friends from faking injury because it was too cold for the players to lie down in the snow.

The conditions were the same for both teams. It started to resemble beach soccer towards the end.. so what?
Next time we go to play down there and it is 100 degrees with 90+% humidity, do we get to complain and file a protest if we lose?

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...-rica-protest-calling-for-u.s.-replay?cc=5901

I knew FIFA would use the technicality I mentioned. That is how they roll they look for anything in the law to run and hide behind. Plus, FIFA always favors the country with more $$$ who is going to bring more $$$ to Brazil? The US and thus Costa Rica sorry you lose.

Also, I like Klinsmann recalled Michael Orozco Fiscal who scored the goal in Mexico last August. He obviously won't see the pitch, but can't hurt for good luck.

Probably won't be a pretty game for us. There's nobody on the back line who can guard Chichirito. I'd be elated to escape this one with a point.

They should pack in the zone! Wasn't it Chelsea who played like that to Beat Byron Munich last year in the Champions league final?
I'd rather play for a win and lose than play with 10 in the back. That game was an embarrassment to the game. Screw Chelsea. Bayern deserved that win.

I'd rather play for a win and lose than play with 10 in the back. That game was an embarrassment to the game. Screw Chelsea. Bayern deserved that win.

didier.jpg

Can we technically lose tonight and still qualify?

Can we technically lose tonight and still qualify?

Absolutely. If each team were to win all of their games at home and take a point on the road they would qualify with ease. Although this would make for two losses already, if we take care of business at home we will likely be fine. There are still seven games remaining in the Hexagonal after this... plenty of time to make up any necessary ground.

Absolutely. If each team were to win all of their games at home and take a point on the road they would qualify with ease. Although this would make for two losses already, if we take care of business at home we will likely be fine. There are still seven games remaining in the Hexagonal after this... plenty of time to make up any necessary ground.
Oh wow. I didn't know there were 7 games left

The top three teams in the hex qualify. The fourth place team has a play-off with the Oceania champion for the final WC berth. So our chances are still very good.

Wonder if we'll file a protest due to bags of urine and rocks being thrown on the field if we lose?

Fortunately every other match in this group has been a draw. Lots of points left on the table.

PS - I've seen the US play Jamaica in "The Office" in Kingston underwater. The US never filed a protest.

@DanaWessel
18m
Obama to Landon Donovan: "You wanna take Air Force One to Mexico City? We can still make it. Just say the word."

Saw on the ticker during the France-Spain match that the US is being given a 6% 8.1% chance of winning, 17% chance to tie. Mexico is unbeaten in their last 16 WCQ at Azteca They'd won 15 straight until they tied Jamaica in Feb.

Saw on the ticker during the France-Spain match that the US is being given a 6% chance of winning, 17% chance to tie. Mexico is unbeaten in their last 16 WCQ at Azteca They'd won 15 straight until they tied Jamaica in Feb.
Still think the mentality of beating them there in a friendly will help us. Hopefully we can get a point at least.

My kingdom for a draw. I would give just about ANYTHING for a draw.

I think Jurgen pulls one out of his ass and we win 2-0 with a goal from Jozy around the 16 minute mark and a put-away goal in the 80th by a sub...

I like our chances better now that Jones is not playing... it lets Mikey do his thing and have either Edu or Beckerman shield the back 4.

I think we see a 4-1-4-1 with Jozy -- Gomez,Demps,Bradley,Zusi -- Edu or Beckerman -- DMB,Goodson,young giant dude, Cameron... Bradley will be given license to roam so it could morph into a 4-2-3-1 at times. The key is going to be the battle of the flanks and making sure we don't get caught with long balls over the top since we are going to in theory clog the middle. It is going to be imperative that Zusi plays the game of his life and Goodson and the young giant dude are 100% aligned with each other so Chicharito doesn't get by them on a dead run. Zusi scares the out of me in this game but he's all we got given Donovan's sabbatical. I think Brek Shea will come in for Zusi at the 65 minute mark and score the second.

I think Jurgen pulls one out of his ass and we win 2-0 with a goal from Jozy around the 16 minute mark and a put-away goal in the 80th by a sub...

I like our chances better now that Jones is not playing... it lets Mikey do his thing and have either Edu or Beckerman shield the back 4.

I think we see a 4-1-4-1 with Jozy -- Gomez,Demps,Bradley,Zusi -- Edu or Beckerman -- DMB,Goodson,young giant dude, Cameron... Bradley will be given license to roam so it could morph into a 4-2-3-1 at times. The key is going to be the battle of the flanks and making sure we don't get caught with long balls over the top since we are going to in theory clog the middle. It is going to be imperative that Zusi plays the game of his life and Goodson and the young giant dude are 100% aligned with each other so Chicharito doesn't get by them on a dead run. Zusi scares the out of me in this game but he's all we got given Donovan's sabbatical. I think Brek Shea will come in for Zusi at the 65 minute mark and score the second.
If Beckerman starts we have ZERO chance. Klinsman has 2 options for Jones IMO either Maurice Edu or Joe Corona. Depending on which of those 2 Klinsman picks will arrange where Michael Bradley will play. If Beckerman starts I honestly will give up watching the game by the 25 minute mark as he will be out of place and probably lead to an early Mexico goal.

If Beckerman starts we have ZERO chance. Klinsman has 2 options for Jones IMO either Maurice Edu or Joe Corona. Depending on which of those 2 Klinsman picks will arrange where Michael Bradley will play. If Beckerman starts I honestly will give up watching the game by the 25 minute mark as he will be out of place and probably lead to an early Mexico goal.

Agreed... Beckerman is not a bad player, but he certainly does not have the requisite speed necessary to be effective internationally at a high level... he will get torched by Mexico's faster mids and forwards...

Hard to remember the "park the bus" game when "the slip" is still burned into my memory.

slip.jpg

Sing it with me now: Glory glory Man United. Glory glory Man United. Glory glory Man United, as the reds go marching ON ON ON!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom