OT USA Mexico @Azteca Mexico City Tuesday 10:30 PM ESPN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT USA Mexico @Azteca Mexico City Tuesday 10:30 PM ESPN

Lucky, yes, but one giant point. Great effort from an unexpireced backline.

Sportscenter guy just called US/Mexico the greatest international rivalry in the world. Come on. There's like at least half a dozen more heated rivalries in Western Europe alone.

This is gonna be a brutal 10 games.

Current Standings:
Panama 5
Honduras 4
USA 4
Costa Rica 4
Mexico 3
Jamaica 2

We've probably had the hardest path with 2 big road games, but ANY slip up along the way is magnified.

I HATE MAURICE EDU. GET OFF MY TEAM.

Besler and Gonzalez were absolutely fantastic tonight, though.

This is gonna be a brutal 10 games.

Current Standings:
Panama 5
Honduras 4
USA 4
Costa Rica 4
Mexico 3
Jamaica 2

We've probably had the hardest path with 2 big road games, but ANY slip up along the way is magnified.

I feel a bit better about our chances having pulled out a point here. You just can't tell what's going to happen. With all the injuries, lineup changes, and disenchantment in the locker room, there's definitely the possibility of leaving points on the table. It's really up in the air whether or not we finish in the top 3. We very well could find ourselves in a playoff with the Oceania champ.

If you told me US had 4 points after three, I would have never expected they occurred the way they did. What a crazy first three games.

A few thoughts:

Compared to what I, and most, expected, it was a nice game from our back four. I think we were lucky that Mexico didn't capitalize on Beasley early, but he really did a nice job settling in and broke up a few deep Mexican possessions with good anticipations. I'm not sure if him pinching in was Jurgen's doing or Beasley's own, but I don't think you can let your defense get run in on from the touchline and expect this result game in and game out. It was a nice stop-gap, but let's get a real defender back there going forward.

Gomez' comeback is great, if he stays healthy and keeps playing, sharpie (barf for the Davis reference) for Brazil.

I love Jozy (not like Crean would, but mouth-kisses aside...). I love the way he responded to racism this year. I wish I could watch more of his club games, because he has had some beautiful finishes, but he has had some rough games for his country the past 12 months. Not sure who I would replace him with though.

Guzan is gutsy in the pipes. Great that we have guys in net that aren't afraid to mix it up and are so strong on the ball. He had a ballsy step up when Mexico went over the top and was assertive on free kicks, corners, and crosses. We could distribute better out of the back, but that's nit-picking.

Tonights results were great for us. Points in Azteca, Jamaica drops points to CR (I think this CR team is the weakest of the Hex), and Honduras doesn't take points on the road.

Still don't know what to think of Zusi. If we start clicking offensively, he could be a great player on the roster, but I'm not sure he should be our first option when looking for a draw.

We've should have a long international camp in late May, some great friendlies, and our domestic league going into full swing. Looking forward for the shot at 3 points in Kingston this June!