OT - Utica Greens | Syracusefan.com

OT - Utica Greens

syr02esq

Starter
One of the things I miss about no longer living in Syracuse is the food. Yes, the food. There are a lot of great places to eat in and around Syracuse. One of the items I was introduced to was Utica Greens. If you have not had this dish before you have to try it. It's wilted escarole accompanied with pancetta, cherry peppers, onion, garlic, bread crumbs and grated parmesan and/or asiago cheese. It's wonderful.

I bring this up because I did a random Google search and was able to find a few recipes. Can't wait to try it this weekend.

And while I'm on the topic of food, I recall there was a restaurant I believe in Water Town where you could order two 1 lb whole lobsters for $20. This was back in 2001. When my parents visited me one weekend, we ate there two nights in a row!

Love Utica Greens! There was a stand at Taste of Syracuse that had the best I've ever eaten. Can't remember what the name of the restaurant was!:bang:

OburgOrange said:
Love Utica Greens! There was a stand at Taste of Syracuse that had the best I've ever eaten. Can't remember what the name of the restaurant was!:bang:

Basil Leaf has the best ones not in Rome. They may have had a stand for that.

The best in Syracuse bar none are to be found in at anthonys (Tony's) on burnet av. The rest of the food is average but the greens are to die for. Basil leafs a close second ( but they're number one for a great marinara sauce!).

I was first introduced to Utica greens when friends brought me to the Hollywood Restaurant in Rome. After over 20 years, I haven't had greens as good as there!!

There are variations, but it isn't difficult to make them yourself. I'm sure most of you can do it.

A loaf of Columbus bakery bread and Utica greens...yum.

I've tried greens at many places in the Utica, Rome and Syracuse area and the best is easily Georgio's in New Hartford. Make sure to stop there if you like greens and are in the area - you won't be disappointed.

I agree on Georgio's. Cavallo's has good greens but they are greasy. Sad that I can't name a place in Utica that does a good greens.

Now that I live in the south I have adapted to using collards and kale for my greens. Love it. Getting the cherry peppers can be a challenge but whenever I can get them I make up some greens and always call them Utica greens despite whatever spin I put on them.

Black Stallion in Vernon and PK's Pub in Herkimer - some lesser known spots in Upstate NY with great greens!

I've enjoyed Utica Greens, on average, at least once a week for over 20 years. Pair them with an ice cold UC & you'll see God.

1st: Georgio's, New Hartford (& it's not even close)
2nd: Chesterfield on Bleecker St. in Utica
3rd: Joey's on Mohawk St., Utica

4th: Everyone else

I agree on Georgio's. Cavallo's has good greens but they are greasy. Sad that I can't name a place in Utica that does a good greens.

Now that I live in the south I have adapted to using collards and kale for my greens. Love it. Getting the cherry peppers can be a challenge but whenever I can get them I make up some greens and always call them Utica greens despite whatever spin I put on them.

Had the greens at Chesterfields a couple of years ago and thought they were really good. And if we are going to talk about greens, we should probably bring up that other Utica dish - Chicken Riggies . . . . .

Rocco said:
My wife is from Whitesboro, so she introduced me to chicken riggies, tomato pie and Utica greens many years ago. I attribute that to my "dad-bod".

3 of my favorites and I don't even like Utica.

I've gone places where there are Utica greens but also something similar with white beans and sausage in it. What are they called? Greens and beans? I like them better. Avicollis here in Liverpool has some good ones.

I've gone places where there are Utica greens but also something similar with white beans and sausage in it. What are they called? Greens and beans? I like them better. Avicollis here in Liverpool has some good ones.

The food is one of the only things I like from Utica. Actually, it's the only thing.

i've only had it at delmonico's in rochester and it's amazing. i've only had riggies at perlo's in east rochester. also amazing. if those are lame imitations of the real thing in utica, i can't imagine how good the real thing is

Canales greens and beans are unreal as well

Had the greens at Chesterfields a couple of years ago and thought they were really good. And if we are going to talk about greens, we should probably bring up that other Utica dish - Chicken Riggies . . . . .
Let's talk chicken riggies. Specifically, chicken riggies with vodka sauce. I don't think the vodka is that important in the dish but the cream in the sauce gives it a distinctive look and taste.

There was a hole in the wall restaurant in Eastwood called Michaelangelos that had a great version for a few years but they are sadly no longer in business.

Have been trying to find another place in the Syracuse area that does these really well. Barbagallos in East Syracuse is not bad, but they don't use the cherry peppers and the dish doesn't have the bite Michaelangelos had.

I had tried and not loved this dish at a number of restaurants. Where should I go?

26720df5f7c841a4a8e818cde375463f.jpg

Let's talk chicken riggies. Specifically, chicken riggies with vodka sauce. I don't think the vodka is that important in the dish but the cream in the sauce gives it a distinctive look and taste.

There was a hole in the wall restaurant in Eastwood called Michaelangelos that had a great version for a few years but they are sadly no longer in business.

Have been trying to find another place in the Syracuse area that does these really well. Barbagallos in East Syracuse is not bad, but they don't use the cherry peppers and the dish doesn't have the bite Michaelangelos had.

I had tried and not loved this dish at a number of restaurants. Where should I go?

Come East, my friend... I'll show you some fantastic ones.

I've always enjoyed the Riggies at Rico's, Dominick's and Pastabilities. I also enjoy the riggies I make in my kitchen.

Come East, my friend... I'll show you some fantastic ones.
I like this dish so much, I would drive to the Utica area to get a good plate.

If I am in the area sometime, where should I go?

I've always enjoyed the Riggies at Rico's, Dominick's and Pastabilities. I also enjoy the riggies I make in my kitchen.
Tried Rico's and Dominick's.

Thought both were good but lacked the magic of Michaelangelos. I think the guy that cooked at Michaelangelos was originally from Antonio's on North Salina. I think I need to go there for sure.

Pastabilites sounds like a must visit too based on this recipe, which comes from a visit Guy Fieri made there for DD&D.

Living in Orlando now after 54 years in Syracuse, seriously miss all my hometown favorite foods. The pizza, the sandwiches, the wings, the pasta, etc., don't compare down here. So whenever I feel nostalgic, I take the short drive to Delmonico's near Sea World, and get a large helping of Utica Greens. Same exact menu there as Delmonico's in upstate NY, and the greens are outstanding!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom