OT - Utica Greens | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Utica Greens

syr02esq said:
One of the things I miss about no longer living in Syracuse is the food. Yes, the food. There are a lot of great places to eat in and around Syracuse. One of the items I was introduced to was Utica Greens. If you have not had this dish before you have to try it. It's wilted escarole accompanied with pancetta, cherry peppers, onion, garlic, bread crumbs and grated parmesan and/or asiago cheese. It's wonderful. I bring this up because I did a random Google search and was able to find a few recipes. Can't wait to try it this weekend. And while I'm on the topic of food, I recall there was a restaurant I believe in Water Town where you could order two 1 lb whole lobsters for $20. This was back in 2001. When my parents visited me one weekend, we ate there two nights in a row!

Does Ithaca make warm greens as well?

Go to Georgios and order the "international riggies" and a "dirty salad". Both off the menu, but the servers know what it is. International riggies are similar to the regular Utica chicken riggies, but they add the greens to it. Dirty salad is like a toned down antipasto salad that they add just the right amount of tomato sauce to. One of the best meals I've had in a long time.

This, ladies & gents, is how it's done.

OMG I have been on a low-fat, highly restricted diet, and will be for a while because I have to have gall bladder surgery.
This thread is killing me .....

Let's talk chicken riggies. Specifically, chicken riggies with vodka sauce. I don't think the vodka is that important in the dish but the cream in the sauce gives it a distinctive look and taste.

There was a hole in the wall restaurant in Eastwood called Michaelangelos that had a great version for a few years but they are sadly no longer in business.

Have been trying to find another place in the Syracuse area that does these really well. Barbagallos in East Syracuse is not bad, but they don't use the cherry peppers and the dish doesn't have the bite Michaelangelos had.

I had tried and not loved this dish at a number of restaurants. Where should I go?

26720df5f7c841a4a8e818cde375463f.jpg

Come southeast to my town. Local joint hired a kid from Utica who does them and Shrimp Riggies, which are steallar. You can play 18 at any number of nice and uncrowded courses as part of the deal. PeteCalvin will caddy.

JoeCollege said:
Come southeast to my town. Local joint hired a kid from Utica who does them and Shrimp Riggies, which are steallar. You can play 18 at any number of nice and uncrowded courses as part of the deal. PeteCalvin will caddy.

Shrimp rogues?! Oh my.

sutomcat said:
{QUOTE]Basil Leaf in Ny syr? Saw it on the menu and if it's like everthing else there it might be worth a shot. Let us know.

Had the riggies at basil leaf last night. While very good, I liked avicollis better.

Go to Georgios and order the "international riggies" and a "dirty salad". Both off the menu, but the servers know what it is. International riggies are similar to the regular Utica chicken riggies, but they add the greens to it. Dirty salad is like a toned down antipasto salad that they add just the right amount of tomato sauce to. One of the best meals I've had in a long time.

I have some trepidation about ordering a "dirty salad".

ShippDawg said:
Haha...yeah, I did some checking around to make sure it was legit before telling a total stranger I wanted a "dirty salad".
That is awesome.

I'm living in Sebastian , Fl now but will be traveling to Syracuse in 2 weeks and looking forward to Dominic's and the " Brooklyn Pickle".The pickle makes the best sandwiches I have found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom