OT - Utica Greens | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Utica Greens

Let's talk chicken riggies. Specifically, chicken riggies with vodka sauce. I don't think the vodka is that important in the dish but the cream in the sauce gives it a distinctive look and taste.

There was a hole in the wall restaurant in Eastwood called Michaelangelos that had a great version for a few years but they are sadly no longer in business.

Have been trying to find another place in the Syracuse area that does these really well. Barbagallos in East Syracuse is not bad, but they don't use the cherry peppers and the dish doesn't have the bite Michaelangelos had.

I had tried and not loved this dish at a number of restaurants. Where should I go?

26720df5f7c841a4a8e818cde375463f.jpg

Anthony's in Hanover Square made a 99th-percentile version of this and the greens. They closed for renovations a few months ago, but I think they're reopening soon. Meanwhile, the bar with which they share a kitchen and a chef (Maxwell's) runs both of these dishes as specials every so often.

My wife is from Whitesboro, so she introduced me to chicken riggies, tomato pie and Utica greens many years ago.

I attribute that to my "dad-bod".

Did you also marry my wife?! I knew about riggies prior to us dating, but greens and tomato pie are 2 things she got me hooked on.

sutomcat said:
Let's talk chicken riggies. Specifically, chicken riggies with vodka sauce. I don't think the vodka is that important in the dish but the cream in the sauce gives it a distinctive look and taste. There was a hole in the wall restaurant in Eastwood called Michaelangelos that had a great version for a few years but they are sadly no longer in business. Have been trying to find another place in the Syracuse area that does these really well. Barbagallos in East Syracuse is not bad, but they don't use the cherry peppers and the dish doesn't have the bite Michaelangelos had. I had tried and not loved this dish at a number of restaurants. Where should I go?

Close to us, I like Avicolli's. Have you tried them?

I like this dish so much, I would drive to the Utica area to get a good plate.

If I am in the area sometime, where should I go?

Well the obvious choice is Teddy's - they're renowned for their riggies. However, I feel their quality has suffered and they are too greasy for me now.

My new favorite is a bar/restaurant called The Mill on Dominick Street in Rome. Huge portion, great price, great spice. I can't recommend them enough there.

Along with greens, give me a #4 from Ventura's, and halfmoons from Hemstrought's (yeah, I know they closed) and I'm a happy man. A big man,but a happy man. Maybe I should run the Boilermaker again to burn off those tasty calories!!

Living in Orlando now after 54 years in Syracuse, seriously miss all my hometown favorite foods. The pizza, the sandwiches, the wings, the pasta, etc., don't compare down here. So whenever I feel nostalgic, I take the short drive to Delmonico's near Sea World, and get a large helping of Utica Greens. Same exact menu there as Delmonico's in upstate NY, and the greens are outstanding!!
I was in that Delmonicos two weeks ago. Just like walking into Erie Blvd!

CNY has got to be near the top in regional foods in the country. Every time I make something or get my "Cuse shipments" in, people here in Denver can't believe all this great food comes from such a small area. They give me cash to order salt potatoes, and beg me to make Utica greens. I've literally had Sal's Sassy sauce stolen from my cupboards before..

Let's talk chicken riggies. Specifically, chicken riggies with vodka sauce. I don't think the vodka is that important in the dish but the cream in the sauce gives it a distinctive look and taste.

There was a hole in the wall restaurant in Eastwood called Michaelangelos that had a great version for a few years but they are sadly no longer in business.

Have been trying to find another place in the Syracuse area that does these really well. Barbagallos in East Syracuse is not bad, but they don't use the cherry peppers and the dish doesn't have the bite Michaelangelos had.

I had tried and not loved this dish at a number of restaurants. Where should I go?

Get Dan B's mom to make them. She's a good cook! Of course, she spent her youth in Utica, so that might have something to do with it.

Did you also marry my wife?! I knew about riggies prior to us dating, but greens and tomato pie are 2 things she got me hooked on.

Wait, she said you were cool with that...

Basil Leaf in Ny syr? Saw it on the menu and if it's like everthing else there it might be worth a shot. Let us know.

Yes!

Chicken riggies!

Had them at Delmonico's a few weeks ago.

With Utica Greens.

Excellent!

{QUOTE]Basil Leaf in Ny syr? Saw it on the menu and if it's like everthing else there it might be worth a shot. Let us know.
Close to us, I like Avicolli's. Have you tried them?

Will try both these places.

Thanks for the tips guys!

my buddy learned to do greens from his father inlaw -man this got my mouth watering

Teddy's in Rome is legendary for it's riggies, and won "Riggie Fest"(held at Utica Memorial Auditorium) so many times that they retired from the event so that some other restaurants could win.

Delmonico's in Utica makes good riggies as well.

The Black Stallion in Vernon has very good Chicken Riggies as well as very good Vodka Riggies with ham.

Chenatry's! We used to food shop there when I was a kid.

That recipe is pretty spot on. I use cherry peppers and not the ones they describe and I use 8-10 of them.

Also, you can sub potatoes for breads crumbs. I would pre cook the potatoes and just add them toward the end.

And the best riggies I ever had were made by my sister. Never had them at a restaurant that was worth my time, although I'll have to try those listed here.

sutomcat said:
{QUOTE]Basil Leaf in Ny syr? Saw it on the menu and if it's like everthing else there it might be worth a shot. Let us know.

Basil leaf is your best bet, in my opinion.

You can get them in varying degrees of heat. Medium has good bite, and hot is just that, but very tasty.

Great vintage of ginger ale too.

Utica pizza company is close to basil as well, greens are decent but not as good.

My wife's family has a ridiculously good riggies recipe that we make at least 4-5 times a year. It almost comes out the perfect orange color, too! ;)

I will second the suggestion of Rico's on Bridge St in Syracuse and nominate Santangelo's in Liverpool. Both are great!!

Go to Georgios and order the "international riggies" and a "dirty salad". Both off the menu, but the servers know what it is. International riggies are similar to the regular Utica chicken riggies, but they add the greens to it. Dirty salad is like a toned down antipasto salad that they add just the right amount of tomato sauce to. One of the best meals I've had in a long time.

Having grown up in Utica, I thought the world knew about all these things. To this day, I'm still introducing my neighbors tomato pie. My parents have to bring a box tomato pie and pusti's from florentine or Caruso's when they come out to visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom