OT: What are your five favorite American cities? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are your five favorite American cities?

Absolutely hate cities. People are over-rated. But if I had too (and I will add one no one would ever think of)

1. Rapid City, SD - the black hills are just absolutely stunning in their beauty. Throw in the Needles Highway, Mt. Rushmore, Jewel and Wind Caves.
2. St. George, UT - already been mentioned, but so close to Zion National Park, and the most beautiful park of all is within a decent driving distance (Bryce Canyon). Throw in some really good golf, too!
3. Vancouver, BC
4. Boston, MA
5. Seattle, WA

Absolutely hate cities. People are over-rated. But if I had too (and I will add one no one would ever think of)

1. Rapid City, SD - the black hills are just absolutely stunning in their beauty. Throw in the Needles Highway, Mt. Rushmore, Jewel and Wind Caves.
2. St. George, UT - already been mentioned, but so close to Zion National Park, and the most beautiful park of all is within a decent driving distance (Bryce Canyon). Throw in some really good golf, too!
3. Vancouver, BC
4. Boston, MA
5. Seattle, WA

Rapid has Firehouse Brewing Company which definitely is not a bad place to grab a beer.

Were you hiking Angel Rocks at Chena? Just took my mom to Denali this week. Rivers still frozen, so no rafting for us

Really can't remember. We went to the hot springs and then took one of the trails up a hill for approximately 2 miles so we could get a view of the surroundings. After that we headed back to Fairbanks and found a stream along that we hiked for approximately another mile. When we returned to the base to talk to my friend, he and others said we were crazy because we were not prepared correctly. They stated we should have been prepared for bears in the region and we just hiked with some water. OH well we survived and it was the best hiking because there were no signs of civilization when were were out there.

White water rafting was pretty scary at times but again I can scratch it off my bucket list. When you have to sign a waiver for the possibility of death that puts some perspective on the harsh conditions in Alaska. The views going down the Nenana River was gorgeous and unfortunately Mt. McKinley had cloud cover. I only regret that I did't have a camera with me.

Really can't remember. We went to the hot springs and then took one of the trails up a hill for approximately 2 miles so we could get a view of the surroundings. After that we headed back to Fairbanks and found a stream along that we hiked for approximately another mile. When we returned to the base to talk to my friend, he and others said we were crazy because we were not prepared correctly. They stated we should have been prepared for bears in the region and we just hiked with some water. OH well we survived and it was the best hiking because there were no signs of civilization when were were out there.

White water rafting was pretty scary at times but again I can scratch it off my bucket list. When you have to sign a waiver for the possibility of death that puts some perspective on the harsh conditions in Alaska. The views going down the Nenana River was gorgeous and unfortunately Mt. McKinley had cloud cover. I only regret that I did't have a camera with me.

Yea lol. I dont go very far off the beaten path with out at least a side arm. I've noticed that most of the time you can see Denali (Mt. McKinley is the name some white dude from ohio gave it, wayyy after the natives named it Denali) better from the hills of Fairbanks then you can in the park. Most days driving down the Steese into fairbanks on my way to work I can see both peaks pretty clear. I've been 100 miles into the park a few times, and can hardley ever see it clearly.

We got a great treat flying from Anchorage to Fairbanks a few years back. There were only about 8 of us on the plane and the captain told us that Denali was totally viewable. He actually circled the mountain and even pointed out some Japanese climbers almost at the peak. Awesome!

We got a great treat flying from Anchorage to Fairbanks a few years back. There were only about 8 of us on the plane and the captain told us that Denali was totally viewable. He actually circled the mountain and even pointed out some Japanese climbers almost at the peak. Awesome!

Awesome! Yeah, was in Fairbanks for two weeks one summer and did a helicopter ride to Denali. Amazing.

I havent been in the air up here yet, but it is deff going to happen soon. I'd love to see this state from a plane.

No dumb and dumber.

I call your bluff. :p
No dumb and dumber
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0392625/

Lol, I missed that. You meant the movie quote. I meant your avatar.
tee = fail = snoozy

MV5BNTE5NzkxNzU3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA1MTEzMQ@@._V1._SY314_CR3,0,214,314_.jpg

Awesome! Yeah, was in Fairbanks for two weeks one summer and did a helicopter ride to Denali. Amazing.
A chopper would be better.

I was thinking about that. They have the chopper tours in Denali that go right into the park. I have a couple friends who fly planes, so it should be as simple as talking one of them into taking me for a quick trip.

I've never been to Naples... but isnt that more of a retirement city?

I believe it is. I just got back from a trip to Marco Island and the saying down there is that if your grandparents live in Naples, their parents live in Marco. The whole area shuts down early. Marco midnight is what they call 9pm.

Favorite 5
1. Denver - Can't beat the rocky mountain lifestyle if you are active. Would move back in heartbeat if the chance arose.
2. Seattle - Just a fun town to visit. Great food, fun things to do from water to the mountains to dive bars.
3. San Francisco - The culture, the food, scenery. Wouldn't want to live there but love to visit.
4. NYC - 'nough said.
5. Charleston - The history, the food, the access to the ocean (Folley Beach, IOP both great places depending on your lifestyle)

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Washington
5. Syracuse

Lahaina, Maui will no doubt move up the list come November 21 for the Maui Invitational.
Lahaina!! thats the name of the mini-city/big town on Maui, couldnt remember it. yes thats good a spot.

yep, that's a fun little town with amazing views. one of the few towns in maui that combines good restaurants and nightlife with all the scenic beauty stuff. anyone going out for the game next november check out the Aloha Mixed Plate for good, cheap local food and good happy hour specials - right on the beach.

Interesting to see Oneonta pop up on so many lists...I'll have to swing by there on the next Rochester trip.-VBOF

I work in Oneonta, a nice little city, but not even close to top 5 in my view. I think many have fond memories of college life in Oneonta that are clouding their views!

1. Anywhere in the lowcountry (charleston sc, Hilton head, savannah)

2. Chicago, IL

3. New Orleans, LA

4. San Diego, CA

5. Charleston, SC again.

Mine are :
Hilton Head
Savannah
Syracuse
NYC
Charleston

I work in Oneonta, a nice little city, but not even close to top 5 in my view. I think many have fond memories of college life in Oneonta that are clouding their views!

That's entirely what it is.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom