OT: What are your five favorite American cities? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are your five favorite American cities?

Syracuse
Chicago
Boston
San Diego
Minneapolis
Felt like I wanted to expand on mine as others have. I went with places I have been and would live.

Syracuse - born, raised, and schooled here. I love this place, warts and all, and like Jim says, its perfect weather for part of the year. I love the seasons, though winter drains me a bit more every year. I include our camp in the Adirondacks as well as it's so close in my love for my hometown (speaking of, that's my hands down favorite place on earth so I may need to add Thendara to my list as #1)

Chicago - best big city in my book. People, architecture, etc. I was set to move there out of college but my wife wasn't sold.

Boston - I hate all things Boston sports, but I can't hold that against this city. Plus, the history is special (may need to add Philly for the same reasons).

San Diego - went there for work and like someone else said, as soon as I stepped off the plane I knew I could live there. Weather is perfect, great areas in the city, great people.

Minny - really is a great city with a lot going for it. Headed there in a month actually. One place my wife said she would move so I need to keep it on the list!

Also - I love NYC to visit (another reason i love Syracuse). Don't think I could live there though.

I can't believe all you guys who say you like to visit NYC ... .but would not like to live there. It is the best city in the world in which to live. It has everything. Unmatched culture. nine (9!) pro sports teams, great college sports, best medical care in the world, best public transportation system (you don't need to own a car if your don't want to), best shopping, great recreational opportunities, the best beaches in the northeast, the best restaurants, etc. It really is the capital of the world

My buddy from work was in Pittsburgh this weekend for a bachelor party. Sent me a pic from the stadium (they went to a game). Unreal view.

Hey, so was I. And so did we. Who knew PNC Park was such a popular destination.

Pittsburgh is a fun town (and anyone within 100 miles of the city needs to get to Meat and Potatoes for a meal as soon as possible - best place I've eaten in many Pittsburgh trips). Not sure it makes the cut, though.

1.) New York. Obviously. Much of my family is there. Fantastic place.
2.) Syracuse. Lived here long ago and have been back for three years. Comfortable place with no shortage of activities, great food, four terrific (mostly) seasons, and our favorite building up there at 900 Irving.
3.) Chicago. Too flat. Otherwise perfect.
4.) San Francisco. Just a pleasant place to be.
5.) I'll throw Washington a bone here; I lived there for several years and it feels like home. Too many miserable people, frequently infuriating mass transit and other quality of life concerns, and a really nasty climate for a few months each year. And everything's gotten a little too Disney in the last decade-plus (though that's a fair trade for less violent crime and a slightly less dysfunctional municipal government). But there's a heck of a lot to like, too. And it's still a short hop to New York.

(Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Quebec would all be ahead of D.C. if this list weren't limited to American cities.)

Never thought I'd read a thread and find love for both Portland, ME and St. George. But I agree - lots of fun places listed on here.

Syracuse NY
Buffalo NY
Pittsburgh PA
Portland Maine
Auburn NY

We will be in Anchorage in a few weeks, the wife is running some 5k down there.

Went there in 98 with two friends to visit another friend stationed in Fairbanks (Ft Wainwright). Fairbanks wasn't what I thought it would be for a large city in Alaska. Driving from Fairbanks to Anchorage was unbelievable but I am surprised we survived it(we got are moneys worth on rental car). The scenery was something out of magazines. The
Chena Hot Springs hiking, white water rafting on the Nenana River in Denali, glacier tour in Seward and then the sights from Anchorage were mesmerizing. Next time I go back will be by boat then by train.

NYC, Boston, Portland Maine, Nashville, SF
I have to include New Orleans and LA.LA isn't just Hollywood but that does include a ton of fun in itself.The studios and celebs are fun to spot especially when they think they are being inconspicuous.Sun glasses are just about a "hey look at me".

Lived in Rochester and Syracuse my entire life, but I have an opportunity to travel a little bit for my summer job. My choices are:

Boston
Ann Arbor
DC
Baltimore

I'm leaning towards Boston because I have family there and I've always thought I'd end up in Boston or Chicago when I move into the real world.

Thoughts on these cities?

Boston: parochial, uptight, and negative.

Chicago: the opposite of all those things.

I can't believe all you guys who say you like to visit NYC ... .but could not live there. It is the best city in the world in which to live. It has everything. Unmatched culture. nine (9!) pro sports teams, great college sports, best medical care in the world, best public transportation system (you don't need to own a car if your don't want to), best shopping, great recreational opportunities, the best beaches in the northeast, etc. It really is the capital of the world

No doubt, but all of those things come at a price. Cost of living is prohibitive for many.

I can't believe all you guys who say you like to visit NYC ... .but could not live there. It is the best city in the world in which to live. It has everything. Unmatched culture. nine (9!) pro sports teams, great college sports, best medical care in the world, best public transportation system (you don't need to own a car if your don't want to), best shopping, great recreational opportunities, the best beaches in the northeast, etc. It really is the capital of the world
For me, I think it's because I never had the chance. When I visit I stay with friends in Jersey city or Hoboken so I'm not immersed in it and only in for the day or event. plus, now with the family it just wouldn't fly.

Syracuse
Boston
Denver
Charleston
Vancouver(yes I know I put a Canadian city on my list. Canada is practically the 51st state, I mean I can get into the country with a frisking and a drivers license. )

I can't believe all you guys who say you like to visit NYC ... .but would not like to live there. It is the best city in the world in which to live. It has everything. Unmatched culture. nine (9!) pro sports teams, great college sports, best medical care in the world, best public transportation system (you don't need to own a car if your don't want to), best shopping, great recreational opportunities, the best beaches in the northeast, the best restaurants, etc. It really is the capital of the world

So the obvious question - why live in CT instead of the city? :)

Syracuse
Boston
Denver
Charleston
Vancouver(yes I know I put a Canadian city on my list. Canada is practically the 51st state, I mean I can get into the country with a frisking and a drivers license. )

Not without a passport! ;)

Hey, so was I. And so did we. Who knew PNC Park was such a popular destination.

Pittsburgh is a fun town (and anyone within 100 miles of the city needs to get to Meat and Potatoes for a meal as soon as possible - best place I've eaten in many Pittsburgh trips). Not sure it makes the cut, though.

1.) New York. Obviously. Much of my family is there. Fantastic place.
2.) Syracuse. Lived here long ago and have been back for three years. Comfortable place with no shortage of activities, great food, four terrific (mostly) seasons, and our favorite building up there at 900 Irving.
3.) Chicago. Too flat. Otherwise perfect.
4.) San Francisco. Just a pleasant place to be.
5.) I'll throw Washington a bone here; I lived there for several years and it feels like home. Too many miserable people, frequently infuriating mass transit and other quality of life concerns, and a really nasty climate for a few months each year. And everything's gotten a little too Disney in the last decade-plus (though that's a fair trade for less violent crime and a slightly less dysfunctional municipal government). But there's a heck of a lot to like, too. And it's still a short hop to New York.

(Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Quebec would all be ahead of D.C. if this list weren't limited to American cities.)

Never thought I'd read a thread and find love for both Portland, ME and St. George. But I agree - lots of fun places listed on here.

Hmm, how many of you were there? Trying to see if you were in the same group.. Haha

So the obvious question - why live in CT instead of the city? :)
I was waiting for someone to ask that. I live in a near-in suburb of NYC (Fairfield is really part of NY, rather than CT). I was required to move here ... when I accepted a job at GE. Since it is practically the same as living in NYC (at least when the railroad is not shut down due to a derailment/collision --yes, the big derailment happened in my little town), inertia has set in... and I am still here. But it really is like living in NYC. And I would never live in any other Metro area. And regarding the original question, Fairfield, CT, is far from being a city!

NYC
New Orleans
Memphis
Syracuse
DC
Portland ME
Parts of Boston

Hope to get to Austin someday, I hear it's great.

NYC ... has everything ... great college sports
I'm calling BS on this

the best beaches in the northeast
and this . . . best beaches in the northeast (even if it was true, which it isn't) is like being the prettiest girl in Pulaski.

edit: no offense, ladies of Pulaski

I'm calling BS on this

and this . . . best beaches in the northeast (even if it was true, which it isn't) is like being the prettiest girl in Pulaski.

Jones Beach, the Hamptons, Fire Island, the Jersey shore...

And as long as SU plays at MSG and the Meadowlands, it has great college sports.

I'm calling BS on this

As soon as they get their hip waders off you're in trouble.

1) seattle
2) new orleans
3) new york city
4) san diego
5) ??? somewhere in the desert southwest

Curious. How did West Orange make the just joking list?
:)

Actually while I have been to 3 SHU home games against SU, I haven't ever been to West Orange. The games were all in Newark.

I think SU might have played SHU on their campus once or twice in the first years of the BE. I remember Dan Callandrillo and a tile floor at a place called Walsh Auditorium.

Looks like they eventually replaced that floor with a wooden one.

walsh.jpg

Anyway, West Orange was mentioned because I list a bunch of cities where former rivals of Syracuse are located. Olean might have been a better choice.

Actually while I have been to 3 SHU home games against SU, I haven't ever been to West Orange. The games were all in Newark.

I think SU might have played SHU on their campus once or twice in the first years of the BE. I remember Dan Callandrillo and a tile floor at a place called Walsh Auditorium.

Looks like they eventually replaced that floor with a wooden one.

walsh.jpg

Anyway, West Orange was mentioned because I list a bunch of cities where former of Syracuse are located. Olean might have been a better choice.
Typical burbs, not too bad. And, I did get to see Tyler "The Beast" Roberson play in a tourney at the high school.
SUball

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Washington
5. Syracuse

Lahaina, Maui will no doubt move up the list come November 21 for the Maui Invitational.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom