OT: What countries have you been to? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What countries have you been to?

Bermuda (grew up there) England, Jamaica, Netherlands, St Kitts, St Thomas , Cayman Islands, Trinidad, Argentina, Cuba, Dominica

Have been to Canada, Hong Kong, and last year to China for my son's traditional Chinese wedding. On the bucket list are Ireland, Germany, Austria, the beaches at Normandy, New Zealand and some of the Caribbean Islands.

Normandy is incredible. It is such a peaceful place today, it is incomprehensible to imagine what went on there. I drove across the entire country of France, from Toulouse and back, to visit Normandy and it was well worth it. Would love to go back. Some pictures I took (also appropriate for Memorial Day weekend):

normandy00d.jpg

normandy00c.jpg

normandy01.jpg

USA, Canada, Mexico, Germany, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Onondaga. Thanks to my wife's job I've seen parts of Mexico that the typical tourist never see.

Potentially could go to Greece, Spain, or France soon. Spain is at the top of that list. Had an opportunity to go to China, that I regret not doing. I want to see Japan, Mongolia, Sweden, and Czechoslovakia.

Been to USA,
Canada,
England,
Sweden,
Norway,
Denmark,
Germany,
Netherlands,
Austria,
France (YECHHH),
Belgium,
Luxembourg,
Spain,
Mexico,
Aruba,
Bermuda,
Haiti,
Qatar,
United Arab Emirates.

Lived in USA, Sweden, England & United Arab Emirates.

Thanks to my wife's job I've seen parts of Mexico that the typical tourist never see.
... Hope she doesn't work for one of the cartels.

I want to see Japan, Mongolia, Sweden, and Czechoslovakia.
... That last one may be a bit problematic. Personally, I hope we never see it again ('68 anyone?) ;-) Although I definitely want to visit Prague - nothing against Bratislava, I hear it's a nice city too. Also want to see Israel, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, Japan, Greece.

Forgot to add Georgia (not ours, though been there too) and to mention the faves:
Barcelona
Bruges (Brugge) - a fairy tale of a city
Amsterdam
Paris
Quebec City
London
Tallin

All of Europe for me came a one month tour at 18 years old with American Music Abroad program.
That's awesome - quite a packed month. There's an old (Russian?) expression: galloping thru Europe. Pretty much sums up your trip.

Canada, as a kid. Other than that, a trip to Vegas 12 years ago, and a few trips to Tennessee seven years ago, I haven't been more than 100 miles away from my current home in 40 years.

I do have plans to travel, but I never seem to get around to doing it.

And want to go to?

Slow day at work. I enjoyed the vacation/favorite cities threads.

Been to: Canada (I'm guessing most will have this), Australia, Bahamas.

Want to go to: England, Italy, Argentina. A lot honestly, but these are probably top 3.

Can I claim the Mr. Provincial award for this thread ???

Only US, Canada,and Mexico for major countries.

However, I can add a host of Caribbean islands -

St Maartan (my favorite)
Aruba
Barbados
Martinique
St Lucia
St Thomas (as another poster said - I know)
Puerto Rico (I know)
Bahamas
St Bart
Antigua
Jamaica
St Croix
St. John

Non Carib island:

Bermuda

Since others have mentioned Hawaii:

Big Island - my fav
Oahu
Mauai
Kauai

Lastly, do I get to count New Mexico as a foreign country - there are lot's of jokes to that effect ????

I always thought easterners don't know New Mexico exists because the weatherman always stands in front of it! It really is the Land of Enchantment though. So much to love about NM!

Interesting. Great list. One of my good friends married an Estonian girl (blond and hot) when she was studying in the states. He has been over there a bunch and absolutely LOVES it.

What's your take on Kyiv? I was raised Ukrainian and with all of those traditions/customs. I have never been but speak it fluently and know a little Russian. My cousin just got a job working for this law firm there so I have to go now. He dosn't really know the place well yet.

Estonia is great, and are to this day doing much better than the rest of the post-USSR mess.

As for Kiev, I've only been there briefly, and it is a great city full of history and culture. Not to mention some of the most beautiful women. Your friend who married the Estonian girl couldn't have gone wrong in Ukraine either. And your cousin is in for a treat, but tell him to be VERY careful there - in all other ways too. Foreigners are easy prey there.

My wife is from Kharkiv, and we visited about 6 years back. The contrasts of the westernization attempts with the sad condition of the majority of the populace are striking and depressing. And it ain't getting better. Wish your cousin best of luck, but few Westerners last long in ex-Soviet Union even when working for foreign companies. On the other hand, if he's not married, he may return as one ;-)

Can I claim the Mr. Provincial award for this thread ???

Only US, Canada,and Mexico for major countries.

However, I can add a host of Caribbean islands -

St Maartan (my favorite)
Aruba
Barbados
Martinique
St Lucia
St Thomas (as another poster said - I know)
Puerto Rico (I know)
Bahamas
St Bart
Antigua
Jamaica
St Croix
St. John

Non Carib island:

Bermuda

Since others have mentioned Hawaii:

Big Island - my fav
Oahu
Mauai
Kauai

Lastly, do I get to count New Mexico as a foreign country - there are lot's of jokes to that effect ????
I forgot to put Barbados on my list. Thanks. Hows was Martinique?

I forgot to put Barbados on my list. Thanks. Hows was Martinique?

It has been quite a few decades since I went to Martinique. Most of the time there, I was - blast from the past - at a Club Med, so I did not get to see as much of that island as I did as compared with the others on my list where I usually rented a car (or scooter in the case of Bermuda) & self toured. However, we did spend one night in the capital, Fort de France. It was a nice little town with French cultural accents & a couple of great pastry shops. Not as much shopping as the capitals in most other Caribbean destinations, but again, it has been well over three decades since I was there.

USA, Canada, Mexico, England, Azores, Germany, Sicily, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, (last three for Desert Storm), Iraq, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Krygzstan, Kazahstan (last five for OEF/OIF)

In a perverted sort of way this reminds of a joke ...

A Russian tourist in Heathrow being questioned by the British Customs Officer:
- Occupation?
- No, no, just visiting ...

Canada, Mexico, Germany and France. I have also been to Puerto Rico and West Virginia ( kinda like a third world country)

Spain, Portugal, Morocco, France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Greece, Norway, South Korea, Japan, Philippines, Panama...

Thanks to the US Marine Corps !!

Estonia is great, and are to this day doing much better than the rest of the post-USSR mess.

As for Kiev, I've only been there briefly, and it is a great city full of history and culture. Not to mention some of the most beautiful women. Your friend who married the Estonian girl couldn't have gone wrong in Ukraine either. And your cousin is in for a treat, but tell him to be VERY careful there - in all other ways too. Foreigners are easy prey there.

My wife is from Kharkiv, and we visited about 6 years back. The contrasts of the westernization attempts with the sad condition of the majority of the populace are striking and depressing. And it ain't getting better. Wish your cousin best of luck, but few Westerners last long in ex-Soviet Union even when working for foreign companies. On the other hand, if he's not married, he may return as one ;-)

Ha! Thanks. Yes, I have heard it can be troublesome for foreigners who appear to have money, especially. My cousin did go once. She said the cops got $75 out of her on the street because she didn't have her Visa on her. I also hear it can be terribly expensive. The decent hotels, restaurants, etc.

Only been to Canada, Mexico, and Jamaica. Want to visit Ireland and Australia. I was supposed to go to Ireland with my family two years ago but my wife decided to go and have our son. The nerve.

Only been to Canada, Mexico, and Jamaica. Want to visit Ireland and Australia. I was supposed to go to Ireland with my family two years ago but my wife decided to go and have our son. The nerve.
:rolling:

Canada
Mexico
Japan
S. Korea
China
Singapore
India
Egypt
Israel
Russia
Germany
Italy
France
England
Ireland
Holland
St. Maarten
Anguilla

Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Italy, England, Scotland, Costa Rica, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico, does Canada count?, my fav is Iceland (4 times)- absolutely beautiful- bicycled it each time.

Oh yes, almost forgot, West Virginia.

I've been to Canada, Mexico, St. Lucia, Nassau, Grand Cayman, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, and Jamaica.

Loved Barcelona, Venice, Urbino, the Isle of Skye, Ullapool, Normandy and Amsterdam. Probably my favorites. Lived in London for a couple of years as well.

Skye is beautiful, loved the Quairang (sp?) most- pictures don't do it justice. The drive there from Fort William was really pretty too.

Ha! Thanks. Yes, I have heard it can be troublesome for foreigners who appear to have money, especially. My cousin did go once. She said the cops got $75 out of her on the street because she didn't have her Visa on her. I also hear it can be terribly expensive. The decent hotels, restaurants, etc.

Oops, didn't realize your cousin is a she, and that she's not based there. That's good. Anyway, she got off easy - she could've been driving ... If you wind up visiting Kiev, enjoy - you'll have fun. But it's best to be accompanied by the locals to avoid the rip-offs and other such unpleasantries. The post-breakup USSR is not quite the Wild East of the 90's, but it's not the most stable of places either. And any "order" and "law" replacing the chaos comes from KGB now openly ruling Russia, and the totalitarian nationalistic approach they're restoring. Ukraine has already fallen in line, and we saw what happened when Georgia refused.

Gee, hate to admit but only been to Canada, Mexico, and Dominican Republic. I need to get out more...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom