Overtime during the regular season | Syracusefan.com

Overtime during the regular season

SWC75

Bored Historian
So baseball is bringing back the 'free' runner' for extra innings to speed up games. I sort of got used to it when they used it two years ago, much like getting used to the DH or granting intentional walks instead of throwing them.

I've always wondered, though, if the NHL doesn't have it right. Send everyone home on time and grant two points for a win and one for a tie, leaving overtime to the post season. My problem is that I've never really been a hockey fan. I thought I would become one after Lake Placid but I started watching NHL games and it didn't seem like the same sport I saw in the Olympics, (more about checking into the boards and brawls than skating, passing and shooting, although I'm told it's improved since then). So I don't what it's like to watch a tie game and go home with your teams point as a result. I remember football ties, which were always frustrating and I've seen plenty of great basketball overtimes and a few great baseball extra inning games. So I have to ask our hockey fans: how do you feel when you watch a tie game and your team gets a point for it? Do you prefer to play each contest to a solution or is that point enough to justify your time?

after the 2005 season the NHL did away with ties.

tied at the end of regulation is 1 pt each.

win it in sudden death...1 pt.

win it in a shoot out...1 pt.

i like it.

IMO, basketball should be the only sport that doesn't have ties in the regular season. Japanese baseball plays a max of 10 innings. If the game is still tied after 10 complete, it goes into the records as a tie. And, before someone only partially quotes Duffy Daugherty, the entire quote is, "Tying is like kissing your sister, but losing is like kissing your brother."

Last edited:
So baseball is bringing back the 'free' runner' for extra innings to speed up games. I sort of got used to it when they used it two years ago, much like getting used to the DH or granting intentional walks instead of throwing them.

I've always wondered, though, if the NHL doesn't have it right. Send everyone home on time and grant two points for a win and one for a tie, leaving overtime to the post season. My problem is that I've never really been a hockey fan. I thought I would become one after Lake Placid but I started watching NHL games and it didn't seem like the same sport I saw in the Olympics, (more about checking into the boards and brawls than skating, passing and shooting, although I'm told it's improved since then). So I don't what it's like to watch a tie game and go home with your teams point as a result. I remember football ties, which were always frustrating and I've seen plenty of great basketball overtimes and a few great baseball extra inning games. So I have to ask our hockey fans: how do you feel when you watch a tie game and your team gets a point for it? Do you prefer to play each contest to a solution or is that point enough to justify your time?

There have not been ties in hockey for nearly 20 years. Ties are broken with 3 on 3 play than a shootout. Losers still get a point.

They have set up an idiotic system whereby some games are worth 2 total points and some games are worth 3 total points. Basically the NHL has encouraged overly cautious play in the final 10-15 minutes of a tie game because both teams know the expected points is better if they go to overtime.

I would have went 4-4 for 10 minutes. If its still tied after 10 minutes so be it. Its a tie. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY NO OVERTIME LOSER POINTS!

There have not been ties in hockey for nearly 20 years. Ties are broken with 3 on 3 play than a shootout. Losers still get a point.

They have set up an idiotic system whereby some games are worth 2 total points and some games are worth 3 total points. Basically the NHL has encouraged overly cautious play in the final 10-15 minutes of a tie game because both teams know the expected points is better if they go to overtime.

I would have went 4-4 for 10 minutes. If its still tied after 10 minutes so be it. Its a tie. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY NO OVERTIME LOSER POINTS!
I would change the NHL points system to 3 points regulation win.

2 points for OT/shootout winner 1 point for loser.

Encourage teams to go for the win in the regulation and reward it. At the end of the season teams behind can only make up 1 point if they don’t win in regulation.

OT wins are different game than regulation as you said.

I hate this ghost runner to start the 10th inning.
Baseball should implement it starting in the 12th inning. Play 2 normal extra innings then add it so games aren’t insanely long.

I would change the NHL points system to 3 points regulation win.

2 points for OT/shootout winner 1 point for loser.

Encourage teams to go for the win in the regulation and reward it.

OT wins are different game than regulation as you said.

100% fine with that is well. I just hate a system that rewards teams more for getting to a tie position.

Its amusing that when you present the 3 point win scenario to many NHL Fans they tout history and that it will make historical win/loss records meaningless.

Historical win/loss records were already made meaningless in 2005, after the creation of the 3 point game. The 3 point game significantly inflated the record of every team by about 10 points a season.

If baseball followed hockey, they would award an extra 1/2 game to the loser in extra innings, since they had to set up different rules to speed up the victorious result.

Sounds idiotic right. But that is what hockey essentially does.

Sorry for the multiple posts on this. I have ranted on this before on this board. I think the 3 point vs 2 point game is one of the dumbest things across any of the 4 traditional major sports leagues. And I may be generous in saying its "one of the dumbest things" rather than the dumbest thing.

I’m cool with ties.
Same here

I like the Japanese idea of playing a 10th inning, and then a tie if no one wins then. The teams know the deal and can get more aggressive if they choose. Baseball is the longest season in all sports by a long shot. We don't need any 15 inning games except in playoffs. There aren't fun ways to break the tie like in hockey with 3x3, shootouts, etc. And I think the "ghost runner" on 2nd isn't fun, in my opinion.

It's funny football allows ties with the 17 game season, yet it's unacceptable for baseball. That seems backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom