Owen Hiltz named SU Men's Rookie of the Year | Syracusefan.com

Owen Hiltz named SU Men's Rookie of the Year

Should probably do some more digging but, best since Mike Powell far as I can tell. His main competition would be Mike Leveille who had 30, 11 in 13 games. Powell had 30, 40.

Edit - sorry, read this wrong and thought you were asking “Hiltz is the best freshman since ...”.

Should probably do some more digging but, best since Mike Powell far as I can tell. His main competition would be Mike Leveille who had 30, 11 in 13 games. Powell had 30, 40.

Edit - sorry, read this wrong and thought you were asking “Hiltz is the best freshman since ...”.
Stats or opinions welcome.
just looking to gauge where we put him in freshman ranking.

Marechek has the record for goals with 46.

Z has the record for assists with 41.

Z has the record for points with 74 (33-41)

Hiltz is at 28-19.
Those two guys were on MUCH better teams as freshmen, however.

Where does his freshman season so far rank for Syracuse?

Right up there with the best. Hiltz has incredible finishing ability, he looks like Dylan Donahue circa his Rs Jr year and he's just a true frosh who didn't Play last year. Only element of his game keeping him out of the Powell level is that he isn't an elite dodger (yet). His lax iq and instincts are off the chart, hes just scratching the surface. I couldn't believe the Romo coach tried to short stick him, awful decision.

Those two guys were on MUCH better teams as freshmen, however.
You raise an excellent point about the overall team quality i.e. the number of times the offense gets the ball after a faceoff or number of turnovers which may have reduced the number of times Hiltz touched the ball. We should also consider the quality of the opponents (SOS) as well. This season was an anomoly where 11 of the 12 games were against ranked opponents.

You raise an excellent point about the overall team quality i.e. the number of times the offense gets the ball after a faceoff or number of turnovers which may have reduced the number of times Hiltz touched the ball. We should also consider the quality of the opponents (SOS) as well. This season was an anomoly where 11 of the 12 games were against ranked opponents.
Excellent points. Even if you compare Hiltz to the other top freshmen in D1 this year, he and Cuse have played fewer games than Brennan O'Neill and Duke, and the team has no doubt had fewer possessions per game than Duke. And Hiltz didn't start against Army as I recall.

Any word on Hiltz's injury? Didn't look too serious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom