Painting himself into a corner. Marrone interviewing for Jacksonville O.C. job | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Painting himself into a corner. Marrone interviewing for Jacksonville O.C. job

You mentioned Doug…leaves a job when he doesn't get his way…as if that was a bad thing…I just mentioned that Parcells does the same thing. I am not saying Maronne is an equal coach as Parcells….all I am saying is that if you think you are good and worthy of a top job, then ask for what you want…and if they don't give it you………and you are not happy…then leave…..Implied in all this discussion is that somehow Marrone has not earned the right via his record, to demand anything….and on that one…I disagree. Many people never get what they want because they are afraid to ask.
Of course it's a bad thing. Specifically when that person has a lack of personal awareness. Quitting something after not getting your way is childish. Working through it and proving that you deserve what you're asking for should be how adults act. Marrone apparently thinks he's Lombardi. Comical.

Personal awareness:
"I hate it here in Buffalo. If I leave now, I get $4M up-front no strings attached but lose out on my last year's pay and 2 years of coaching the team ...and if I stay, I continue to be miserable but get that one more year of pay for coaching two more seasons. If I leave, I may be able to get another job quickly and if not, I still have $4M. I know some internet posters will think I am crazy and I should probably consult with all of them but I think I will go it alone on this."

Not that he left but how he left.
...according to anonymous sources in Buffalo.
What that article points out is that Marrone crapped on his assts and staff.
What it points out is that there are few guarantees of job security in the NFL- a fact most coaches are aware of when they sign on to this profession. Why does St. Doug get held to a different standard? Because he in essence fired the Bills instead of the other way around?

Personal awareness:
"I hate it here in Buffalo. If I leave now, I get $4M up-front no strings attached but lose out on my last year's pay and 2 years of coaching the team ...and if I stay, I continue to be miserable but get that one more year of pay for coaching two more seasons. If I leave, I may be able to get another job quickly and if not, I still have $4M. I know some internet posters will think I am crazy and I should probably consult with all of them but I think I will go it alone on this."
his camp must've thought that it was neccessary to justify his opting out by badmouthing the bills (watkins, polian)

if you think that badmouthing prior employers is neccessary to appeal to new employers, you're probably not in a great spot to be rehired.

if he'd rather just have 4 mil to sit at home, ok. but i still think he greatly overestimated his own value on the job market. we're not going to ever find out. i just don't think pegula and whaley are that bad to deal with compared to other teams

his camp must've thought that it was neccessary to justify his opting out by badmouthing the bills (watkins, polian)

if you think that badmouthing prior employers is neccessary to appeal to new employers, you're probably not in a great spot to be rehired.

if he'd rather just have 4 mil to sit at home, ok. but i still think he greatly overestimated his own value on the job market. we're not going to ever find out. i just don't think pegula and whaley are that bad to deal with compared to other teams
I am not sure the rumors of the Watkins pick and shouting matches with Whaley were from his camp. The shouting matches were reported during the season and reportedly came from team sources. I agree he may have overestimated the demand for his services but I also think he knew that was possible. If you have citations where "his camp" badmouthed the organization, please provide links. I see a concerted effort to badmouth Marrone by the Bills but nothing the other way around.

Personal awareness:
Lack of personal awareness: "I just led these bums to a winning record. I'm a saint. The problems with the offense aren't my fault, it's the GM's fault. If they don't give me what I want I'll walk and have my choice of any of the open HC jobs. I'll just show them my binder."

My guess is that Marrone will hate every place he goes. He's miserable, which is sad and I truly hope he gets help for that, for the sake of his children if nothing else.

Lack of personal awareness: "I just led these bums to a winning record. I'm a saint. The problems with the offense aren't my fault, it's the GM's fault. If they don't give me what I want I'll walk and have my choice of any of the open HC jobs. I'll just show them my binder."

My guess is that Marrone will hate every place he goes. He's miserable, which is sad and I truly hope he gets help for that, for the sake of his children if nothing else.
Wow. Now you bring his parenting into this. You really sound like the scorned lover.

Wow. Now you bring his parenting into this. You really sound like the scorned lover.
Oh. Nice rebuttal. For a moment I forgot what type of weirdos I'm dealing with here.

I am not sure the rumors of the Watkins pick and shouting matches with Whaley were from his camp. The shouting matches were reported during the season and reportedly came from team sources. I agree he may have overestimated the demand for his services but I also think he knew that was possible. If you have citations where "his camp" badmouthed the organization, please provide links. I see a concerted effort to badmouth Marrone by the Bills but nothing the other way around.
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/01/doug-marrone-bill-polian-turned-unintentional-package-deal/

This article paints Polian is a dumbass stooge who needed Marrone to make decisions for him. Maybe Polian asked his friend for his honest depiction of the situation and Marrone gave it to him. Maybe. Or maybe the author made this stuff up. In any case, this is not a story the "Marrone Camp" would plant though if true, I guess you could make it that Marrone was "badmouthing" the organization... but I think we had that thread already.

Oh. Nice rebuttal. For a moment I forgot what type of weirdos I'm dealing with here.
I love it-- the guy now calling Marrone a bad parent thinks everyone who disagrees with him is a weirdo- Norwood missing that kick must have really messed you up- let it go your life will be much easier if you focus on things that actually matter.