Painting himself into a corner. Marrone interviewing for Jacksonville O.C. job | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Painting himself into a corner. Marrone interviewing for Jacksonville O.C. job

It's been since reported that he was offered the extension.
If he was offered the extension and still left, then that just supports my point even more….whatever it was, money, couldn't get along with the GM, not enough control…..whatever, he was not happy with the job the way it was constructed and opted out…again..on his own terms…to pursue other opportunities. Everybody who has a job, always should retain that option, if you chose to give it up, can't walk away from a job you don't like, then wow….what a life….

Dr. Bill said:
If he was offered the extension and still left, then that just supports my point even more….whatever it was, money, couldn't get along with the GM, not enough control…..whatever, he was not happy with the job the way it was constructed and opted out…again..on his own terms…to pursue other opportunities. Everybody who has a job, always should retain that option, if you chose to give it up, can't walk away from a job you don't like, then wow….what a life….

I'm sure he thought he had another HC job waiting for him. Otherwise he just quit. For the 2nd time. That perception of him doesn't bode well.

He was offered an extension. So he was supported. You keep mentioning things like undermined or not being able to follow his plan. There's zero evidence of that and I call BS.
Oh please. First of all I said Marrone may have "felt" he was not being supported or perhaps even being undermined. Judging by the anonymous scorched Earth savaging of Marrone in the media after his departure I'd say that is a reasonable indicator of the business methods and treatment St. Doug may have experienced while he was there- which doesn't excuse any potential bad behavior of his own in a relationship that has clearly become toxic. But since offering an extension to Doug is proof to you he was well supported could you please elaborate on the details of the offer? Give me some context was it made in good faith or was it a face saving low-ball gesture by ownership? What specific additional powers did Marrone ask for if any? Did he want changes in the front office which were refused? How much/little control over operations did he ask for? At the end of the day if the status quo had grown unacceptable to St. Doug why would an extension of that status quo be desirable? Honestly unless you were in the room leave the claims of evidence out of it- all we have are anonymous leaks to the media by both parties with an agenda to protect.

Is it that hard to see that it was just a greedy move? If it walks like a duck...
The fact that he turned down the extension (and therefore more guaranteed $) flies in the face of that argument.

Statesman1 said:
Oh please. First of all I said Marrone may have "felt" he was not being supported or perhaps even being undermined. Judging by the anonymous scorched Earth savaging of Marrone in the media after his departure I'd say that is a reasonable indicator of the business methods and treatment St. Doug may have experienced while he was there- which doesn't excuse any potential bad behavior of his own in a relationship that has clearly become toxic. But since offering an extension to Doug is proof to you he was well supported could you please elaborate on the details of the offer? Give me some context was it made in good faith or was it a face saving low-ball gesture by ownership? What specific additional powers did Marrone ask for if any? Did he want changes in the front office which were refused? How much/little control over operations did he ask for? At the end of the day if the status quo had grown unacceptable to St. Doug why would an extension of that status quo be desirable? Honestly unless you were in the room leave the claims of evidence out of it- all we have are anonymous leaks to the media by both parties with an agenda to protect.

Yes, a 2nd year coach should have full control over everything. The front office, the draft, operations etc. You think he was promised all that when he signed? I don't. Not even close.

Statesman1 said:
The fact that he turned down the extension (and therefore more guaranteed $) flies in the face of that argument.

Unless he thought he had another job waiting for him. So I'd say the argument stands.

I'm sure he thought he had another HC job waiting for him. Otherwise he just quit. For the 2nd time. That perception of him doesn't bode well.

Apart from many on this board, I'm not sure there are a lot people who would characterize leaving a nationally irrelevant football program in the dying Big East for a chance to be a HC in the NFL as "quitting."

But, I absolutely do agree with you about the perception Marrone has created for himself when he quit the Bills with apparently nothing in hand.

Yes, a 2nd year coach should have full control over everything. The front office, the draft, operations etc. You think he was promised all that when he signed? I don't. Not even close.
Who said that? I have no idea what he was or wasn't promised, or even what he may have asked for, and again, unless you were in the room or read his contract neither do you. So unless you can provide some additional specifics all we know or can assume is that an extension of the status quo was not sufficient in his mind relative to other opportunities including sitting out, being unemployed, or other potential jobs. The rest is just opinion- informed or otherwise.

Statesman1 said:
Who said that? I have no idea what he was or wasn't promised, or even what he may have asked for, and again, unless you were in the room or read his contract neither do you. So unless you can provide some additional specifics all we know or can assume is that an extension of the status quo was not sufficient in his mind relative to other opportunities including sitting out, being unemployed, or other potential jobs. The rest is just opinion- informed or otherwise.

I think the proof is that right now he is floundering after walking away from $12m.

I think the proof is that right now he is floundering after walking away from $12m.
Proof of what? That being paid $4 million to walk away from Buffalo is better than being paid and additional $8 to stay? You got me!

Unless he thought he had another job waiting for him. So I'd say the argument stands.
How so? Guaranteed $ in Bufalo vs. a shot at the Jets, even if a very good shot is a calculated risk. If St. Doug was all about the cash he stays no question. Clearly there are other variables in his mind that outweighed the guaranteed $ in the extension.

Short sighted and stupid if you don't know you can get as much or close to it the following 3 years. Let's revisit this in 4 years and see if he parlayed taking that $4m into another $12m or so the next 3 years.
why another $12M? He got paid for 3 of his four years at the Bills.

Proof of what? That being paid $4 million to walk away from Buffalo is better than being paid and additional $8 to stay? You got me!
I don't think it is an additional 8. He got paid for coaching 2 season. Then he got the third season paid for upfront due to the clause. So that leaves 4 to go.

xc84 said:
why another $12M? He got paid for 3 of his four years at the Bills.

He was offered an extension and turned it down. Like I said originally with my math post, I assumed to things. One that it was 2 additional years which is common and two, it was at the same salary even though it was likely for more. $16m-$4m = $12m over the next 4 years. He needs to get a HC job to make it whole.

Dr. Bill said:

I think it proves that when he signed the deal he had every intention of taking the $4M when the old man died and then would land another job that year. Double dip on salary.

He was half right. But at least he still has the $4M. Better than you can say for the assistants who probably got blindsided by it all.

He was offered an extension and turned it down. Like I said originally with my math post, I assumed to things. One that it was 2 additional years which is common and two, it was at the same salary even though it was likely for more. $16m-$4m = $12m over the next 4 years. He needs to get a HC job to make it whole.
I have seen nothing to make me think that the rumors of him actually being offered an extension are true.

xc84 said:
I have seen nothing to make me think that the rumors of him actually being offered an extension are true.

It was reported by the same media that reported he had the out.

xc84 said:

That's the problem with those classy coaches who stay silent. If there was an extension offered, I'm sure Marrone wants as few people as possible to know.

Chip said:
That's the problem with those classy coaches who stay silent. If there was an extension offered, I'm sure Marrone wants as few people as possible to know.

The one report I don't believe is that the extension was for $20m for 2 more years. That his agent trying to drive up the cost to the Jets.

No it doesn't. He thought he would get a new four year deal elsewhere and keep the $4 million.

The one report I don't believe is that the extension was for $20m for 2 more years. That his agent trying to drive up the cost to the Jets.
Meaning 5 million per?

I don't think Marrone was a great coach. I think he was just average at Syracuse…and the same at Buffalo. I do respect his right to walk away from a deal, that for whatever reason, he did not think was working for him. Having done so, doesn't make him an idiot, or a fool, or stupid, or even a quitter. It makes him a guy, who had a contractual "Option" to exercise…and he exercised it. He could have been a guy, who signed a contract that gave ownership the option to void his contract after two years, with no compensation, if there was a change in ownership and the ownership decided to go in a different direction. Then, all these negative comments about Doug, would be valid……

Crusty said:
Meaning 5 million per?

No, it was for $20m for just the additional 2 years. $10m per. Don't buy that at all.

Dr. Bill said:
I don't think Marrone was a great coach. I think he was just average at Syracuse…and the same at Buffalo. I do respect his right to walk away from a deal, that for whatever reason, he did not think was working for him. Having done so, doesn't make him an idiot, or a fool, or stupid, or even a quitter. It makes him a guy, who had a contractual "Option" to exercise…and he exercised it. He could have been a guy, who signed a contract that gave ownership the option to void his contract after two years, with no compensation, if there was a change in ownership and the ownership decided to go in a different direction. Then, all these negative comments about Doug, would be valid……

Marrone played poker. Went all in with a flush draw and busted. Unless he gets a HC gig with similar pay.

When he doesn't get his way he has a propensity to leave. That is his HC history.