Per SU's twitter, Grant made the U18 team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Per SU's twitter, Grant made the U18 team

of the nine man rotation next year, grant is probably the 9th guy (maybe the 8th if baye doesn't improve). unless grant has an explosive summer and really ups his game, i hope he's prepared for shortened mins his freshman year.
Good thing roles aren't assigned in June. CJ gets the most minutes. Grants gets to compete for the rest versus Rak (who hasn't yet shown an offensive game) & James (improving, but not much handle). By November, who makes the most progress? Predictions at this point are so often wrong.

She also knows how bone the home team and go to a hated rival...

Really, Shoes? What? No wonder your handle is "sour". Breanna is a great kid. Going to UConn was the smart move for her. It's not that she doesn't like SU, but she's been playing with the top players for the last 4 years, and where are all of those players going? She has friends already playing there. Give the gal a break.

Not one of your better posts.

Really, Shoes? What? No wonder your handle is "sour". Breanna is a great kid. Going to UConn was the smart move for her. It's not that she doesn't like SU, but she's been playing with the top players for the last 4 years, and where are all of those players going? She has friends already playing there. Give the gal a break.

Not one of your better posts.

Funny...all of the criticisms of Noel for making a similar decision and no one was suggesting we should give Nerlens a break. Personally, i am on the side that kids need to make the decision that is best for them and oftentimes that means getting away from home. If I were Breanna Stewart - SU would never have had a chance, simply because I would have wanted to get more than 10 minutes from home and experience being on my own.

I don't know Nerlens Noel from Adam. Never had the pleasure of meeting him. I have, however, met Breanna and talked to her about her excitement to attend UConn.

Sure, it would have been great if Noel came here, but I think we got the better offensive player in DC2.

People are upset with NN's decision because everyone knows it wasn't on the up and up. Breanna was never coming to SU.

Good thing roles aren't assigned in June. CJ gets the most minutes. Grants gets to compete for the rest versus Rak (who hasn't yet shown an offensive game) & James (improving, but not much handle). By November, who makes the most progress? Predictions at this point are so often wrong.

but that's why we are here, on a blog like this, to speculate about the future of SU basketball. CJ will play 30 mpg at least, and i hope southerland plays solid mins. james is one of only a few deep ball threats we have. but i agree about rak. i think grant has a chance to steal some of his PT.

This kid is gonna be a stud ... nothing but positive news on him, I'm a fan of his already.

Is it just me or does he look like he's holding a mini basketball? (Thanks for the link OE)

rp_primary_GrantUSA6.jpg

He's going to be a John Wallace type of player for us. Has lots of game already. Great upside.

i'm big on statistics. here's one i came across. during last year's AAU EYBL regular season circuit, here are the average free throw attempts per game leaders:

ricardo gathers - 9.9 att/game
jerami grant - 9.1
omar calhoun - 8.5
dajuan coleman - 7.3
archie goodwin - 7.1

translation: players who attack the rim!

He's going to be a John Wallace type of player for us. Has lots of game already. Great upside.
Hope he eats midnight snacks and pb sandwitches, then hits the weightroom.

but that's why we are here, on a blog like this, to speculate about the future of SU basketball. CJ will play 30 mpg at least, and i hope southerland plays solid mins. james is one of only a few deep ball threats we have. but i agree about rak. i think grant has a chance to steal some of his PT.
I know -- we are here to speculate. My point is we should leave some room for player development, and recognize that our guesses aren't infallible.
Often posters predict exactly how many minutes each player will get, and who won't play at all. They are often wrong. Before 2010-11, many posters were sure that the 7.0 rotation in league play would have no room for CJ and Keita, not recognizing that JB would play 8 and 9, and CJ was better than advertized. Last year, people knew that BT and Scoop would each play 30 minutes, not recognizing that Dion had upside and could change his attitude more easily than BT could add to his skills.
My guess is that Grant has a well-rounded game that might fit a need. CJ is comfortable working inside, and trying to take his game to SF. Rak is trying to build some F skills. Southerland is a 3 pt shooter, trying to round out his game, but not much of a passer and hasn't shown he can dribble-drive. There is opportunity for Grant and the forward rotations are far from settled.

I know -- we are here to speculate. My point is we should leave some room for player development, and recognize that our guesses aren't infallible.
Often posters predict exactly how many minutes each player will get, and who won't play at all. They are often wrong. Before 2010-11, many posters were sure that the 7.0 rotation in league play would have no room for CJ and Keita, not recognizing that JB would play 8 and 9, and CJ was better than advertized. Last year, people knew that BT and Scoop would each play 30 minutes, not recognizing that Dion had upside and could change his attitude more easily than BT could add to his skills.
My guess is that Grant has a well-rounded game that might fit a need. CJ is comfortable working inside, and trying to take his game to SF. Rak is trying to build some F skills. Southerland is a 3 pt shooter, trying to round out his game, but not much of a passer and hasn't shown he can dribble-drive. There is opportunity for Grant and the forward rotations are far from settled.

well, i think we can agree that the potential rotation consists of 9 guys:

guards: MCW, triche, cooney
forwards: CJ, james, rak, grant
centers: DC, baye

i think two of them are guaranteed a ton of minutes: triche, CJ
i think four of them have the potential to play a ton of minutes: MCW, cooney, james, DC
i think three of them could go either way as far as PT: grant, rak, baye

when the spurs played the thunder, gregg pop pulled a boeheim: cut his successful 10 man rotation down to 7. i'm sure jimmy will play all 9 guys the first half of the season, but like usual, at some point, the rotation will be trimmed down.

ahh you can't hate on bre stewart for going to uconn. she's the best in the country, going to the best program in the country. makes sense to me.

Hate on her? Of course not. But I really don't care how she does.

JW carried SU to the Championship game. That's quite a statement.

JW carried SU to the Championship game. That's quite a statement.

Well, he is an elite talent. He is representing the country in the FIBA Americas championship this summer, and he made the Jordan Brand Classic, if I recall correctly. There's no guarantee that he will carry us to a final, like John did, but Grant has a similar type of game.

A senior jw carried us.

That's a good point! Questionable how many senior John Wallace's you'll see from here on out. If guys have enough game they often don't stick around in order for it to develop to its fullest potential in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom