peter king tidbit about stadium sizes | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

peter king tidbit about stadium sizes

The removed the troughs at Michigan Stadium and what was a pretty efficient process has turned into a national nightmare.
So you're saying we shouldn't expand the Dome to 100,000 until we figure out restroom issues...

Details?

troughs.gif

There used to be four large bathrooms at the corners that had tiled walls like these with water flowing down them that zig-zagged like a maze. They replaced them with standalone urinals when they did the stadium renovations and now it's an absolute nightmare having to take a leak in that joint, and that's even with them adding multiple more restrooms.

Troughs are 5000% the way to go. I love that the Dome has them. I can take a leak and make a beer run and be back at my seat within 3 minutes.

Troughs are 5000% the way to go. I love that the Dome has them. I can take a leak and make a beer run and be back at my seat within 3 minutes.
I am only half-kidding. We need to start a petition or a letter writing campaign (do people still do those?) asking that the renovated Dome include pee troughs. We can't let allow people that don't actually attend games to make a bad decision.

To occasional visitors, the trough system looks primitive and disgusting (I guess it is), but it is incredibly efficient. At how many venues with over 40,000 people can one go to the bathroom at halftime and not wait in line for more than 30 seconds? Perhaps there is a way to make the troughs look less gross, but replacing them with urinals will be a big mistake.

I am only half-kidding. We need to start a petition or a letter writing campaign (do people still do those?) asking that the renovated Dome include pee troughs. We can't let allow people that don't actually attend games to make a bad decision.

To occasional visitors, the trough system looks primitive and disgusting (I guess it is), but it is incredibly efficient. At how many venues with over 40,000 people can one go to the bathroom at halftime and not wait in line for more than 30 seconds? Perhaps there is a way to make the troughs look less gross, but replacing them with urinals will be a big mistake.

I'm not - seeing both sides of it, the dome is vastly superior in moving people in and out of restrooms. The concourses in that joint are already a deathtrap, if they changed it to urinals it would be an epic disaster.

In all seriousness, if this matters to anyone (and it matters to me - it's the most efficient way to move through bathrooms), send an e-mail to a decision-maker on the Hill. Because I guarantee the renovation will incorporate a) urinals and b) a male-unfriendly reallocation of restroom capacity. That's what every new sports facility is doing and we're not going to go against the stream (pardon the awful pun) unless there's some serious reason not to.

In all seriousness, if this matters to anyone (and it matters to me - it's the most efficient way to move through bathrooms), send an e-mail to a decision-maker on the Hill.
Anyone have a list of the decision makers? Contacting local media might also be helpful.

I have no idea how to figure this out mathematically but it's simple...

There are more men at these games than women.
Women have lines with individual toilets and less people.
Men have more people with literally NO lines.
Imagine the lines if the men had individuals? Ridiculous.

Troughs for life!!

Sala already said modern seating is a high priority for the renovation. That will mean a reduction in capacity. I don't think it will be that big of a deal however. The stadium is already very unique in that it is covered. If they can generate 45K capacity in the newly renovated dome and create an exciting atmosphere, no one will be talking about how "small" it is. It will be a unique and exciting experience.

I will concur with what was mentioned above, I've been in a LOT of college stadiums, virtually all with bench seating, but Syracuse had by far the narrowest allotment of space per seat. It was crazy noticeable upon seeing it, and I've never seen anything similar since.

It's your program, but I'd take it down to the low 40s. 40k seats filled will be more impressive, and maybe lowder, than 42k in a 49k stadium.

Autzen Stadium, long renowned for being a crazy, loud and difficult place to play, holds 54k. I would definitely go for the Cameron Indoor analogy someone made earlier.

Of course, you do have to take basketball into consideration.

I personally think most stadiums will wish they were smaller 10 years from now. There's no way I'd be expanding my stadium like Louisville is. I'd much rather have a full stadium with a high ticket demand, than almost always have seats available. That dynamic of seats almost always available, like FSU deals with given it's stadium size and tiny population, takes a big bite out of revenue because they just can't demand the premiums.