Class of 2021 - PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA) | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA)

mcleod is not playing over brown...not sure what you watchd this year but it wasnt what i saw

need 4 forwards and 2/3 centers

right now we have zero centers.
McLeod had the highest defensive rating on the team by far. He's a good piece to have off the bench when he doesn't have to guard on the perimeter. Could help 5-10 min a game in the right situation. And I wash't saying he plays over Brown if you go back and read what i was saying.

Last edited:
McLeod had the highest defensive rating on the team by far. He's a good piece to have off the bench when he doesn't have to guard on the perimeter. Could help 5-10 min a game in the right situation. And I wash't saying he plays over Brown if you go back and read what i was saying.
ok fair enough. i really hope the staff is trying very hard to recruit over mcleod bc he was there for a lot of the blowouts this year and I dont see him magically becoming the answer.

matchup dependent he may be servicable...but my personal opinion is that a lot of what he does is fools gold - looks good in a box score but doesnt help win. besides, they arent only going to play him vs his good matchups if hes in the rotation, tehy will play him also when its a bad matchup for him...which is the problem.

i dont care what his defensvie metrics and ratings are...i watched him with my own eyes. I dont need the crutch of a number to help me understand things. The defense was not good with mcleod in the game bc for every block he got he gave up two easy shots. and he was probably the slowest basketball player I have ever seen and thus could not rotate within a team concept. any center that can shoot from more than 5 feet away will toy with that.

if hes cool with being the 3rd center - that would be great ... but if he is a player the team will have to rely on...i will be very skeptical.

ok fair enough. i really hope the staff is trying very hard to recruit over mcleod bc he was there for a lot of the blowouts this year and I dont see him magically becoming the answer.

matchup dependent he may be servicable...but my personal opinion is that a lot of what he does is fools gold - looks good in a box score but doesnt help win. besides, they arent only going to play him vs his good matchups if hes in the rotation, tehy will play him also when its a bad matchup for him...which is the problem.

i dont care what his defensvie metrics and ratings are...i watched him with my own eyes. I dont need the crutch of a number to help me understand things. The defense was not good with mcleod in the game bc for every block he got he gave up two easy shots. and he was probably the slowest basketball player I have ever seen and thus could not rotate within a team concept. any center that can shoot from more than 5 feet away will toy with that.

if hes cool with being the 3rd center - that would be great ... but if he is a player the team will have to rely on...i will be very skeptical.
Against power opponents with McLeod in the lineup we gave up 72 ppg vs 79 ppg without him in the lineup. Its not all meaningless metrics. Having a rim protector is important and he blocked 2 shots a game in 14 min. Even his presence made guys think twice about going inside and we got killed in the paint during the latter part of the year.

If the staff gets their guy at center that 14 min a game goes down. There are situation's when he's valuable if he's healthy. Again 5-10 min is all I said, I don't think thats relying on someone too much.

Against power opponents with McLeod in the lineup we gave up 72 ppg vs 79 ppg without him in the lineup. Its not all meaningless metrics. Having a rim protector is important and he blocked 2 shots a game in 14 min. Even his presence made guys think twice about going inside and we got killed in the paint during the latter part of the year.

If the staff gets their guy at center that 14 min a game goes down. There are situation's when he's valuable if he's healthy. Again 5-10 min is all I said, I don't think thats relying on someone too much.
defense dropped off once benny was kicked off the team and there was no depth...and no size at the forward spots

the best defense of the year was the stretch without nahemm but with benny

did you happen to watch the maui games??

the defense was bad with naheem

defense dropped off once benny was kicked off the team and there was no depth...and no size at the forward spots

Yeah I watched we gave up 76 to the 6th best adjusted offensive team in the country, 73 to the 28th best, and 56 to Chaminade. Thats not bad at all. Did you watch? He also blocked 9 shots in those three games.

I wouldn't blame all of that on Naheem. One thing, when he was down low, other teams didn't try to go at him down there. They would often stop and take the ball back out.

To be fair, Red didn’t do Naheem any favors by making him hedge on every pick and roll instead of just doing drop coverage.

Nobody knew how to rotate or hedge off picks in Maui.

We left too many open threes and way too many clear lines to the basket. How many times did McLeod find himself guarding a PG 20 feet from the basket while Mintz or Starling was trying to get in front of the rolling center?

The defense was an absolute mess. Everybody was terrible.

You can't blame that on the Highlander alone.

But, the fact of the matter is we looked so bad in Maui because we scored 56 and 57 points. Our defense wasn't the biggest problem. We took 44 threes against Gonzaga and Tennessee and made 9 of them. It was atrocious.

Even if we shot a merely terrible 30% from three, we average 6 more points a game.

Our shooting inside the arc wasn't very good either.

That's kind of the bottom line. Our season average scoring was 76.3. If we scored our average, we win those games.

McLeod's biggest weakness is that he's not a good rebounder. We missed a million shots in Maui, and he got 2 offensive rebounds both games combined. We also as a team got outrebounded by 35 boards in those two games.

If McLeod plays next to Freeman and Brown, those rebounding numbers look a lot better... Maybe we need to try to play our new rebounding machine portal center wherever Bell's on the floor and only play McLeod when we have our big forward tandem out there?

I'm not suggesting McLeod is a savior, but his injury definitely hurt the team, especially since everybody got better as the year went along. So, too, would McLeod if he'd been healthy.

7'4 is solid looking forward to next year as I expect him to play well.

7'4 is solid looking forward to next year as I expect him to play well.
He needs to learn how to play the sport. He has an advantage over just about everyone on the court. He's 7'-4" and athletic, he just has to learn how to do a few things around the basket. It doesn't seems that difficult, but he has to WANT to be a basketball player.

He’s not good enough I’ve seen enough
lets say there's 140 possessions per game in an NCABB game

so a player that plays 20 mins is involved in about 70

ok...what if that player gets 4 blocks in that game? thats a LOT of blocks!!! (and, by the way, how many of those blocks even result in change of possession? maybe 0 out of 4...it is possible)

but what are they doing on the other 66 possessions? that matters MUCH MUCH more.

blocks dont win basketball games...points do.

all these supporters of 74 see is his blocks and size...it simply fails to account for the total picture but they refuse to step back and see it.

their thinking starts and stops with: wow 4 blocks a game! he must be great.

if all a team had to do to win a basketball game was have a single player get 4 blocks, then naheem would be michael jordan.

but he's not.

ok...what if that player gets 4 blocks in that game? thats a LOT of blocks!!! (and, by the way, how many of those blocks even result in change of possession? maybe 0 out of 4...it is possible)

but what are they doing on the other 66 possessions? that matters MUCH MUCH more.

all these supporters of 74 see is his blocks and size...it simply fails to account for the total picture but they refuse to step back and see it.

if all a team had to do to win a basketball game was have a single player get 4 blocks, then naheem would be michael jordan.

but he's not.
He has the potential to make a HUGE difference on a game. He has to learn how to play the game. It was so frustrating seeing him faced the wrong way half the time. I don't think Zach Edey did anything spectacular. He just knew how to play as a 7'4" player. McLeod just needs to learn how to get into position and learn a shot off of either shoulder.

ok well I guess you guys think Mcleod will be a plus next season

I don't.

Hope Im wrong
As a huge McLeod critic, I'll be happy if he's back next year and buys into being a backup. He would be a better backup than we've had in a while. He could be good in the middle of the zone, or against traditional bigs in man as long as he stays out of the p&r blender, and he would deter teams from going in the paint. As long as we recruit a good portal center, and I have no doubt we'll see Maliq at center sometimes, and then 5-8 mins from McLeod is fine.

As a huge McLeod critic, I'll be happy if he's back next year and buys into being a backup. He would be a better backup than we've had in a while. He could be good in the middle of the zone, or against traditional bigs in man as long as he stays out of the p&r blender, and he would deter teams from going in the paint. As long as we recruit a good portal center, and I have no doubt we'll see Maliq at center sometimes, and then 5-8 mins from McLeod is fine.
yeah I do agree he could be a good backup...but im pretty sure he came to SU to be the starter and left FSU bc that was his role there...so I'm just doubtful he would be okay with a small role. ...and worried the coaches will cave to his expectations cnsidering whatever they discussed to get him to sign

basically i think if hes on the roster, theres a good chance he has a bigger role than will be beneficial UNLESS he somehow does catually make a leap and figures out how to play in that case he will be a great player

again, i would prefer to just look elsewhere at a more proven player instead of the hgih risk high reward option like him bc I think it is a longshot he actually gets there

but he's not.
And how many shots are missed because of those 4 blocks? There is a good looking girl on every street corner of America. But a shot blocking big man is hard to find. No one is saying the kid is Pat Ewing. I want a portal big. But as a back up, I am fine with that.

bill walton loved mcleod in hawaii . like i'm going to doubt his un-cleoded judgement ?
bill's third eye sees all ...bill knows all . mekka lekka hi mekka hinee ho . tune in or tune out.

Last edited:
How did this thread take a swerve and now talking about McLeod when it's supposed to be about speculation on if Huntley-Hatfield may go portal .
i think its bc people think the team is all set at PF and C for next year with brown freeman and mcleod *inexpicably*

bill walton loved mcleod in hawaii . like i'm going to doubt his un-cleoded judgement ?
bill's third eye sees all ...bill knows all . mekka lekka hi mekka hinee ho . tune in or tune out.
Having skimmed the board I haven’t seen any comments on McLoeds injury. He looked pretty good before the foot thing, then not so much. Early on Cuse went to him early in games. I will never forget what he did to Cuse when he was with F St. Feet are tough injuries for anyone, huge guys especially so depending on him is dicey. I’d recruit over him too but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did start to see 10 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks… that ain’t bad.

We can’t run an effective offense with McLeod. He’s not playable against quality competition.

This program needs interior offense so badly. Doesn’t have to be a 6’11” kid but someone that can operate in the post and get buckets/dish to teammates.

He needs to learn how to play the sport. He has an advantage over just about everyone on the court. He's 7'-4" and athletic, he just has to learn how to do a few things around the basket. It doesn't seems that difficult, but he has to WANT to be a basketball player.
Yes! The infamous Want To!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom