Class of 2021 - PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA) | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA)

I guess if you are asking this question then we are in a lot of trouble. It means we don’t know how much NIL we have to spend on players portaging which means we won’t be competitive. I’m sure I’m wrong with this assessment, but these players want dollar signs so if we can’t offer him that and he’s not a world blazer than how can we be competitive with some of the top players in the portal to field an elite basketball team?
The $$$ is not the issue…

We aren't planning on starting Brown at the 5 I hope. So we should have a starting center spot to offer correct? Not saying we need to offer that to BHH just in general.
The season isn't even over yet... Don't panic until practice starts and we have only 7 players on scholarship.

I'd bet we have a full roster, and most of them will be good players.

You really think Red wants to sit through a whole season of Brown getting torched in the post and the team getting torched on the boards?

Did we hire a masochist?
I think Red wants to have his two most well-rounded players in Brown and Freeman on the floor, and since they both happen to be power forwards but one of them has already played a lot of minutes at center, that means Brown will be the center.

And before anybody says that Freeman can play the 3, there's no need for that, because that's Bell's spot.

I think Red wants to have his two most well-rounded players in Brown and Freeman on the floor, and since they both happen to be power forwards but one of them has already played a lot of minutes at center, that means Brown will be the center.

And before anybody says that Freeman can play the 3, there's no need for that, because that's Bell's spot.
I agree. Reading the recap on the McDonalds All American practices makes me think we will be fine inside with the way Freeman is performing there. He's one of the biggest players there. That said I still would like to get Estrella here after watching him yesterday to have someone with some girth down there.

Okay, is there really any interest on Syracuse’s part for Brandon Huntley-Hatfield and is he interested in Syracuse? Or is this just a lot of board hype?

I like the player but he is a traveling man (TN to Louisville to ???) but maybe that is the new norm.

He shows well at this level but appears to never really picked up the overall game.

I agree. Reading the recap on the McDonalds All American practices makes me think we will be fine inside with the way Freeman is performing there. He's one of the biggest players there. That said I still would like to get Estrella here after watching him yesterday to have someone with some girth down there.
Yep, the two biggest issues with Maliq at the 5 were that we didn't have another rebounder out there (Freeman solves that, as he'll absolutely be a better rebounder than the Bell/Taylor combo) and Maliq couldn't fully defend 5s because he couldn't risk foul trouble since there wasn't depth behind him (Estrella would solve that, McCleod healthy maybe solves that).

People are thinking too much about deficiencies and not enough about how much of a problem Maliq is to the rest of the ACC when he's getting center minutes.

Last edited:
Okay, is there really any interest on Syracuse’s part for Brandon Huntley-Hatfield and is he interested in Syracuse? Or is this just a lot of board hype?

I like the player but he is a traveling man (TN to Louisville to ???) but maybe that is the new norm.

He shows well at this level but appears to never really picked up the overall game.

Interest? Possibly a little. But we have his spot covered.
Pursuit? I believe not.

Obviously, the league coaches didn’t think he got torched because they named him first team all defense.
Brown was great in so many ways... But if he got a decent post player who was a lot bigger than him, he was helpless.

Every team has seen that video now, and he's going to have a far worse time next year, unless he gets taller and stronger. I don't think just stronger will be enough. He can play some minutes at center, but if he's our starter and ironman at center, were in for a very long season.

Having Freeman next to him will be a lot better than Taylor, but Freeman is a very good scorer, not an excellent rebounder or shot blocker. Look at Freeman's high school numbers... He's averaging about 8 rebounds and less than a block pet game in high school. That doesn't scream rim protector or double digit rebounder in the ACC.

Having a sightly better Brown and a slightly better Bell with Freeman instead of Taylor will be a lot better, but still subpar. We need a dream version of McLeod/Patterson or a good center transfer for that lineup to work out.

Brown playing 20 mpg at forward and 10 mpg at center is how he got to the all defense teams. When he had to play entirely at center, he wasn't nearly as effective. I think the coaches that make the decisions on who gets what honor included a substantial "taking one for the team" bonus. That, and looking at his work before being moved exclusively to center street McLeod was injured.

People are thinking too much about deficiencies and not enough about how much of a problem Maliq is to the rest of the ACC when he's getting center minutes.
This is a very good point.

No doubt brown is a very good player, and he can do a lot to help a team.

I think he's not ideal as an ironman center.

Brown has good touch. Wouldn't be shocked to see brown stretching defenses a little more next year.

This is a very good point.

No doubt brown is a very good player, and he can do a lot to help a team.

I think he's not ideal as an ironman center.
He's not. But again, our two most well-rounded players are both natural power forwards.

We want our best 5 on the floor, that means Maliq's at center. It is what it is.
Brown was great in so many ways... But if he got a decent post player who was a lot bigger than him, he was helpless.

Every team has seen that video now, and he's going to have a far worse time next year, unless he gets taller and stronger. I don't think just stronger will be enough. He can play some minutes at center, but if he's our starter and ironman at center, were in for a very long season.

Having Freeman next to him will be a lot better than Taylor, but Freeman is a very good scorer, not an excellent rebounder or shot blocker. Look at Freeman's high school numbers... He's averaging about 8 rebounds and less than a block pet game in high school. That doesn't scream rim protector or double digit rebounder in the ACC.
Which ACC teams have big boy 5s next season that you're worried about pushing Maliq around? Which players are you worried about?

As for Freeman not being a double digit rebounder... averaging ten rebounds a game happens a lot less frequently than people realize. That's a standard for an all-time great rebounding season, not an annual expectation. He doesn't need to average 10 a game to help a lot.

You really think Red wants to sit through a whole season of Brown getting torched in the post and the team getting torched on the boards?

Did we hire a masochist?
That is the starting line up. Brown will get minutes at the 4, and Donnie will get time at the 3.

Interest? Possibly a little. But we have his spot covered.
Pursuit? I believe not.
Thank you for your response.

Believe that the board is taking this thread further than I think the speculation needs to go. Not sure if Hundley-Hatfield is even interested In Syracuse.

He's not. But again, our two most well-rounded players are both natural power forwards.

We want our best 5 on the floor, that means Maliq's at center. It is what it is.

Which ACC teams have big boy 5s next season that you're worried about pushing Maliq around? Which players are you worried about?

As for Freeman not being a double digit rebounder... averaging ten rebounds a game happens a lot less frequently than people realize. That's a standard for an all-time great rebounding season, not an annual expectation. He doesn't need to average 10 a game to help a lot.
Frankly, I never would have picked PJ Hall on a list of guys that Brown absolutely could not guard until I watched him get 10 layups ina row while Brown stood helpless.

Plus, I don't know who's going to be on Syracuse's roster next year, much less the rest of the ACC.

Some of them will be able to embarrass Brown in the post like Hall did. We need to make sure we have people on the roster that can stop big guys when that occurs.

I love Brown as a player, but him being the only proven center on the roster, backed up by only McLeod and Patterson, is a recipe for disaster.

That is the starting line up. Brown will get minutes at the 4, and Donnie will get time at the 3.
If Brown starts at the 5, but gets 20 minutes at the 4, that could be ok.

If Freeman starts at the 4, but gets 10 minutes at the 3, that could be ok.

If Bell gets most of the minutes at the 3, he needs to rebound and defend a lot better. shooting isn't enough.

All those things could be ok. Who gets the rest of the front court minutes really matters.
And in case of injury, our only depth is McLeod and Patterson.

We need more guys that can play PF and Center. Maybe two, maybe only one will do.

Frankly, I never would have picked PJ Hall on a list of guys that Brown absolutely could not guard until I watched him get 10 layups ina row while Brown stood helpless.

Plus, I don't know who's going to be on Syracuse's roster next year, much less the rest of the ACC.

Some of them will be able to embarrass Brown in the post like Hall did. We need to make sure we have people on the roster that can stop big guys when that occurs.

I love Brown as a player, but him being the only proven center on the roster, backed up by only McLeod and Patterson, is a recipe for disaster.
Yeah, idk how anyone can say they’re not worried about the 5 next year. Look at the final four teams, everyone has a true 5. Hell, most of the elite 8 had athletic and big 5s

I'm not asking this to be a wise guy, but did you not expect that because you didn't know how good PJ Hall is? He averaged 18 points a game. The guy scored on everybody.

Given Brown's other abilities as a defender, I also suspect that he had games where he was a turnstile because he was being overly cautious about getting called for fouls. With a legitimate backup to alleviate some of that fear, I expect his post defense will look significantly better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom