Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

To add, I highly doubt Bell sticks around to be demoted. Not with his shooting acumen. He will have options.

My fear about Brown is if he wants to play the four. That is his more natural spot and where he can make a living. I hope he doesn't get itchy feet if his future here is playing the five alongside Freeman at the four.

His recent improvement in all the other aspects of his game, beyond the 3 point shooting, makes me feel a lot more positive about him being worthy of being the starting SF on a really good team.

Last night we lost to a team that went 6-10 240 at center and 6-8 240 at power forward. We had a 6-8 220 center and forwards who are 6-6 220 and 6-7 188. We need physically stronger people up front. If Freeman is ready to start when he shows up, Brown will have to be the center and Bell would be the other forward. Freeman is listed at 6-9 190 or 200 or 205. I've seen pictures of Freeman that make him look like a muscular guy. The listed weights are often out of date, sometimes way out of date. But images can be photo-shopped and basketball players can be strong at the shoulders but skinny in the legs. Does anybody know what Freeman weighs now and is his lower body strong enough to avoid, (to use a Matt Park term), "getting rooted out" from under the basket?

Maybe Chris McCullough or Dontae Greene? But, Chris didn’t seem to have a good work ethic and Dontae seemed a bit immature. Hopefully we have some leaders for Donnie, because the talent is there.
Chris got injured like 15 games in what are you talking about "work ethic?"

Chris got injured like 15 games in what are you talking about "work ethic?"
What does him playing in 15 games have to do with anything? He didn't strike me as someone that worked very hard on his game. He was very talented.

Last night we lost to a team that went 6-10 240 at center and 6-8 240 at power forward. We had a 6-8 220 center and forwards who are 6-6 220 and 6-7 188. We need physically stronger people up front. If Freeman is ready to start when he shows up, Brown will have to be the center and Bell would be the other forward. Freeman is listed at 6-9 190 or 200 or 205. I've seen pictures of Freeman that make him look like a muscular guy. The listed weights are often out of date, sometimes way out of date. But images can be photo-shopped and basketball players can be strong at the shoulders but skinny in the legs. Does anybody know what Freeman weighs now and is his lower body strong enough to avoid, (to use a Matt Park term), "getting rooted out" from under the basket?
Freeman definitely looks like he is getting stronger in the upper body, but still has skinny legs.

What does him playing in 15 games have to do with anything? He didn't strike me as someone that worked very hard on his game. He was very talented.
How would we know how hard he worked? He came in August and was gone in December. I just think it dumb to make a statement about someone's work ethic when you had zero opportunity to actually analyze it.

How would we know how hard he worked? He came in August and was gone in December. I just think it dumb to make a statement about someone's work ethic when you had zero opportunity to actually analyze it.
My opinion is formed from a number of different things from his high school career to his time at Syracuse and beyond. It isn't based on nothing, you're right, that would be dumb. Just as it is dumb for someone to make the assumption that one's opinion is based on nothing.

Are we sure Brown wants to continue to play center and not go back to his natural position. I know if I was him I would be telling the staff, hey I did a favor this year, but I want to go back to PF next year. I can play spot minutes at the 5 though.

My opinion is formed from a number of different things from his high school career to his time at Syracuse and beyond. It isn't based on nothing, you're right, that would be dumb. Just as it is dumb for someone to make the assumption that one's opinion is based on nothing.
Im sure it is.

Are we sure Brown wants to continue to play center and not go back to his natural position. I know if I was him I would be telling the staff, hey I did a favor this year, but I want to go back to PF next year. I can play spot minutes at the 5 though.
yeah I can see spot minutes here and there as needed, but I just can't imagine Maliq or the staff want him playing many minutes at the 5 after this season... And seems like Donnie is penciled in as the starting 4, so yeah, I think there's legit ?? about Maliq for next year, and how/why he might portal...

yeah I can see spot minutes here and there as needed, but I just can't imagine Maliq or the staff want him playing many minutes at the 5 after this season... And seems like Donnie is penciled in as the starting 4, so yeah, I think there's legit ?? about Maliq for next year, and how/why he might portal...
Autry needs to keep the players he would like to have and hit the portal to get the best possible additions to add to Freeman. After that, let the cards fall where they may but end up with 7 or 8 guys who can play between 14 and 32 minutes.

If he does that there is plenty of room for Freeman, Brown, a portal center and a small forward.

For example:
Houston plays 7 guys between 17.7 and 32 minutes, and
UConn plays 8 guys between 14.7 and 32.8 minutes

For example, the Coach can hope for 30/25/25 for C and PF; 25/15 for SF and 30/25/25 for guard and a few minutes here and there for 9 and 10.

From the looks of that recent game on TV, I would say somewhere around 205 seems reasonable.

I posted this earlier in this thread.

Post in thread 'PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)'
Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Autry needs to keep the players he would like to have and hit the portal to get the best possible additions to add to Freeman. After that, let the cards fall where they may but end up with 7 or 8 guys who can play between 14 and 32 minutes.

If he does that there is plenty of room for Freeman, Brown, a portal center and a small forward.

For example:
Houston plays 7 guys between 17.7 and 32 minutes, and
UConn plays 8 guys between 14.7 and 32.8 minutes

For example, the Coach can hope for 30/25/25 for C and PF; 25/15 for SF and 30/25/25 for guard and a few minutes here and there for 9 and 10.
Can't overemphasize more, we need a center!!! Brown at PF and Freeman at sf. Bell at shooting guard and Cope at the point. Would be a devastating line up. Hope we can use this scenario to attract a quality center.

Can't overemphasize more, we need a center!!! Brown at PF and Freeman at sf. Bell at shooting guard and Cope at the point. Would be a devastating line up. Hope we can use this scenario to attract a quality center.
100% not happening. Red is not playing Bell at the 2 ever. That would quite possibly be the worst ball handling lineup of all time.

Just for comparison purposes, Benny is listed at 6'9 on the Syracuse roster. His weight is listed at 210.

Donnie is generally also listed these days at 6'9. An article in the PS in January said he weighed 205 at that time. It also said that since enrolled at IMG, and getting exposed to a college level nutrition and weight lifting program, he had put on 10 pounds. That is about 2 pounds a month.

I think it is reasonable to expect he will continue to get stronger the rest of his time at IMG and through the summer and into the fall when he is at SU. If anything, he is likely to put on more muscle during the summer, when he doesn't have games and practices and extensive travel to deal with.

But let's be conservative and stick with his current weight gain trajectory. But this time 12/3/2024, he should be 18 pounds heavier, or 223 pounds. This is when he will start playing against good quality competition in college.

That would be 13 pounds heavier than Benny is now.

One pound heavier than Maliq Brown is now.

Now I don't think Donnie is going to play center at Syracuse. If he does, it will be in emergency situations, like Benny has done this season.

But IMHO, he will be plenty big enough and strong enough to play the 4 for us. From day one. His rebounding numbers in the summer and this season at IMG clearly show this. The fact that the SU staff is telling him to focus on improving his rebounding also would point to them expecting to play him at the 4.

I don't disagree that he is talented enough to play some 3 and perhaps he might do some of this.

But I see him playing the vast majority of his minutes at the 4 for us next year and probably for his whole career (which might only be a season).

It looks to me as though Maliq is going to be our center next year. He is too good to sit on the bench, as is Donnie. He has already proven he can handle playing center. I don't think he will ever be a great rebounder or shot blocker but when paired with a 4 who can also rebound and block shots, his deficiencies match well with Donnie's strengths.

Excited to see what those two can do working together in the paint.

That tandem would surely have done better vs. Clemson's 240 seniors than what we had Tuesday night.

Jerami Grant pt 2

Reminds me of a mix between Senior Rak and Soph Grant. This kids legit.

McCulloughs a good comparison but I think McCulloughs outside game was more polished vs Donnie already dominating the paint.

Jerami Grant pt 2

Reminds me of a mix between Senior Rak and Soph Grant. This kids legit.

McCulloughs a good comparison but I think McCulloughs outside game was more polished vs Donnie already dominating the paint.

Blue - please pass along whatever it is you're smoking / eating / drinking.

Sr Rak was a 3rd team All-American and an offensive powerhouse in the paint.
He had moves and counters, sweet little baby-hook over both shoulders, and was an anchor on D in the paint.
Plus had developed a nice faceup game by then too.
Averaged 17.5, 9.1, and 2.5 blocks / game.

Also - he was listed at anywhere from 240lbs up as a Senior.
(he came in as a Frosh listed at 222.)
Here's his DraftExpress bio:

Grant, CMac, and Donnie are all lanky beanpoles.

Donnie has some pretty good handles for a tall dude.
He's got broad shoulders, and seems to have put on some upper body mass this season.
But he's still got spindly legs, so until he learns what a squat rack is, he won't really beef up his lower half.

I know it's a different game now, but I don't recall Grant or CMac being able to handle like Donnie does.
Some of the moves I've seen him do on O, remind me of Mali Richardson.

And I *HEART* all the highlights of him ripping down a board, then firing an outlet pass for a fastbreak hoop the other way. That's some DC-esque talent there.

He had moves and counters, sweet little baby-hook over both shoulders, and was an anchor on D in the paint.

He's got broad shoulders, and seems to have put on some upper body mass this season.
But he's still got spindly legs, so until he learns what a squat rack is, he won't really beef up his lower half.

I know it's a different game now, but I don't recall Grant or CMac being able to handle like Donnie does.

And I *HEART* all the highlights of him ripping down a board, then firing an outlet pass for a fastbreak hoop the other way. That's some DC-esque talent there.
Simply talking about rebounding and approach to the post. Obviously I dont expect him to come in and put up similar numbers right away. That said - he noticeably has “it”. He controls 15 ft in like its an insult thinking you can stop him.

You don’t need to be built like Dwight Howard to have an aggressive approach to rebounding that will translate to the college level.

His passing is most impressive. Full court pinpoint passing in traffic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom