Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

I think it is because he's the best player in the class and doesn't need any work or any extra exposure, and he's a good dude who is willing to let other guys start.

Or, it's a joke.
Maybe he is the new guy on the team

Monteverde is loaded...to the point Flagg doesn't even start.
Flagg starts... they only ran 6 deep the two games I watched them with the 6th man being Curtis Givens (LSU commit).

Flagg starts... they only ran 6 deep the two games I watched them with the 6th man being Curtis Givens (LSU commit).
They must switch the starting lineup from game to game. The video I posted in previous message shows Flagg not starting. However the game before that one he started in place of Asa Newell. Givens also started.

Getting some Hurley vibes from the Montverde coach…..standing on the court yelling and pointing while the game is going on! His team is really good, and much better than IMG….he needs to chillax already!

Donnie playing well. Has some CJ fair in his game….lots of mid range jumpers!

I had Donnie for 20 pts, 9 rebounds, 1 block and 2 assists tonight in a blowout loss. He was by far the best player on IMG and looked like he belonged with all of the Montverde studs. Something ive noticed in watching him several times now is hes a very streaky scorer, seems to score 6-8 points in a couple of minutes and then go cold for a quarter or 2 before picking it back up again. If it gets to the point where he can stay consistent throughout then thats just gonna take his game to another level. Regardless, very impressive performance tonight and he sure looked the part of a 5 star in my opinion.

First time I've seen freeman and, generally, I liked what I saw. Hes a plus athlete at 6'9, a bit more agile than i expected and I'd say hes on the "longer" side, definitely thinner than anticipated. He moves well, can put the ball on the floor a little bit but you wouldn't want him taking it up the court at this stage. He shot the ball decently for a guy of his size. Struggled guarding the big bodied bigs and got moved off his spot frequently. Rebounds the ball fairly well, though again with his thiner frame he has a tendency to be pushed around a bit. Actually spent a lot of his time guarding Cooper flagg, did a serviceable job there which is a tough assignment so he wasn't guarding in the post as much as he will be normally is my guess, this might have had an effect on his rebounding. Flagg was still able to get to his spots through movement and set peices (they are a very good, well coached team. IMG was not, at least at this point in the season). From what I saw though i think he'll be a plus rebounder in time. Donnie led IMG in scoring with 18pts (give or take a point or two) though the team looked pretty disjointed offensively. Hit at least one 3, had a few nice put backs, attacked the rim a few times with some explosiveness. As a defender he has potential, looks like he understands assignments and where he should be on the floor. Has a tendency to be a "one play" defender, will need to work on that but I think/hope thats just coaching. I've never been one to pump up recruits, overhype hurts more than it helps imo. And im not going to start now. My honest assesment is that I do like what I saw. He's definitely a notch better then the recruits we've been getting in recent years. Lots of potential and tools to work with there. He'd probably be getting decent time at the 3/4 if he was on the team this year. Kids a top 30-40 player based on what I saw.

Getting some Hurley vibes from the Montverde coach…..standing on the court yelling and pointing while the game is going on! His team is really good, and much better than IMG….he needs to chillax already!

Donnie playing well. Has some CJ fair in his game….lots of mid range jumpers!
The only thing I like about Maliq Brown on offense is that he never takes a mid range jumper. He either goes to take a layup or moves the ball.

Freeman being a midrange guy at his size is a bad thing. Threes or in the paint, rarely anything else, hopefully.

Then again, it's unlikely he's played against a team filled with this many future NBA players at once, so it's understandable.

Nice game considering the competition.

Definitely not a joke.
I wasn't doubting the report. I just think it must be humorous for them to have Flagg coming of the bench, hence Monteverdi must be playing a joke by not starting him.

I see now that they rotate the starters, because, why not?

Even more impressive for Freeman when you consider that he put up really decent numbers against a team with three players over 6'9" that are ranked in the top17 of the summer RSCI rankings.

That was a very tough game against a bunch of guys with NBA size and talent.

Donnie and IMG just finished up against Brewster. Donnie had 16 points, 12 boards, 3 steals and an assist from my count. Was 6/8 from the field 2/3 from 3pt and 2/4 FT. Another really impressive performance and he got a ton of love from the commentators, including Biancardi. Think hes due for a decent ratings bump from ESPN next time they update them.

Donnie and IMG just finished up against Brewster. Donnie had 16 points, 12 boards, 3 steals and an assist from my count. Was 6/8 from the field 2/3 from 3pt and 2/4 FT. Another really impressive performance and he got a ton of love from the commentators, including Biancardi. Think hes due for a decent ratings bump from ESPN next time they update them.
Only get a ratings bump if you go to a bluebood school.

No disrespect to Paul Biancardi (who I like) and ESPN, but I personally take other recruiting services' rankings more seriously. I envision Donnie moving into the top 20 ... On3 already has him at No. 20.

Wow. That's an upset for sure. A bit surprised ... although Bullis is a good program, right up the street from me in Md.
Yeah I’ve caught a few of IMGs games this year to see Donnie play and outside of him and Acuff they haven’t impressed me too much. I think they were hoping for Khani Rooths(who is rated higher than Donnie on all of the services) to be a big piece but he’s struggled a lot so they don’t get much consistent scoring outside of Donnie and Acuff. The bright side is Donnie has certainly looked the part and his game is really coming together nicely in all aspects. Hope to have a more detailed report later in the year after I catch a few more games.

Yeah I’ve caught a few of IMGs games this year to see Donnie play and outside of him and Acuff they haven’t impressed me too much. I think they were hoping for Khani Rooths(who is rated higher than Donnie on all of the services) to be a big piece but he’s struggled a lot so they don’t get much consistent scoring outside of Donnie and Acuff. The bright side is Donnie has certainly looked the part and his game is really coming together nicely in all aspects. Hope to have a more detailed report later in the year after I catch a few more games.
I know that IMG brought in a lot of transfers this season, so perhaps it may take some time for everyone to gel. I do agree that Acuff and Donnie, so far, have proven the bright spots for the Ascenders.

Wow. That's an upset for sure. A bit surprised ... although Bullis is a good program, right up the street from me in Md.
You live in Potomac?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom