Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

24-25
Pf- freeman
C- brown
Sf- bell
Sg- Starling
Pg- Copeland.

I’d really love it if Red can bring in a competent, experienced portal C, so poor Maliq doesn’t have to play yet another season out of position.

Ideally, it’d be more like:

C - portal guy TBD
PF - Maliq
SF - Freeman
SG - JJ
PG - Q

Donnie is absolutely skilled and versatile enough to play the 3 for us.

And then when Maliq slides to the 5, DF is the 4.

I’d really love it if Red can bring in a competent, experienced portal C, so poor Maliq doesn’t have to play yet another season out of position.

C - portal guy TBD
PF - Maliq
SF - Freeman
SG - JJ
PG - Q

That lineup has four non shooters, not counting the center.

C - portal guy TBD
PF - Maliq
SF - Freeman
SG - JJ
PG - Q

Moore is sitting on the bench? I just don't see that as likely, at the moment.

If Moore can beat out a college Junior, who’s had tons of minutes and experience. and who was a 5* HS AA, then that’d be great!

But no way I’m betting on that.
And certainly not right away.
But unfortunately this 5 star is a shooting guard who has major issues making shots.
He has to make that adjustment otherwise we're back to square one offensively.

Moore is sitting on the bench? I just don't see that as likely, at the moment.
I hope we aren't relying on a freshman (and not the 5 star type) for outside shooting next year. And don't get me wrong, I love Moore and think he's a great pickup and think he'll make an immediate impact. But if he's the intended starter and main shooter, and he has a slow start, the team would be on the outside looking in again, which just cannot happen.

C - portal guy TBD
PF - Maliq
SF - Freeman
SG - JJ
PG - Q

I have no idea what Red will do about the Center position next year because the catch is how that affects Maliq.

If Donnie starts and gets a lot of minutes at the 4, and a portal center takes minutes at the 5, Maliq might bolt which would be wild because he's in our top two best players. We can't let that happen. He deserves to start. And I'm not sure Donnie/Maliq/portal center works, especially given our guard group, but maybe I'm wrong as Donnie and Maliq are versatile defensively. At the very least the portal center would have to be a shooter, maybe in the PJ Hall mold. Due to all that, I could definitely see Red rolling with Maliq/McLeod again next year, which will disappoint a lot of us. Replacing JT with Donnie would at least take some of the pressure off Maliq.

I have no idea what Red will do about the Center position next year because the catch is how that affects Maliq.

If Donnie starts and gets a lot of minutes at the 4, and a portal center takes minutes at the 5, Maliq might bolt which would be wild because he's in our top two best players. We can't let that happen. He deserves to start. And I'm not sure Donnie/Maliq/portal center works, especially given our guard group, but maybe I'm wrong as Donnie and Maliq are versatile defensively. At the very least the portal center would have to be a shooter, maybe in the PJ Hall mold. Due to all that, I could definitely see Red rolling with Maliq/McLeod again next year, which will disappoint a lot of us. Replacing JT with Donnie would at least take some of the pressure off Maliq.

I know nothing about Patterson, his strengths/weaknesses,
or his current development. But there has been very little
discussion about him in the mix. Is he that far off the radar screen
that he's absolutely a non factor?

Probably

I hope we aren't relying on a freshman (and not the 5 star type) for outside shooting next year. And don't get me wrong, I love Moore and think he's a great pickup and think he'll make an immediate impact. But if he's the intended starter and main shooter, and he has a slow start, the team would be on the outside looking in again, which just cannot happen.
I agree. However, as I said, right now, based on how the players on the team have been playing, I wouldn't guarantee current players starting over Moore.

There is certainly time for them to prove you correct, but there is a huge need for a consistent 3-pt scorer, who also defends.

Probably
Kind of implies that too much of our recruiting and player evaluation
is a guess and a hope. There were alternatives already available
at the center position. Why waste a scholarship to be alternative #4??

Could Freeman play the 5?

I would like to see a portal 5 who can give us at least 25 minutes without having to massively change the defensive scheme. A good rebounder who can also make bunnies. Then Brown can clean up the center minutes and play 32-34 a game. Freeman/Westry/Bell round out the forward minutes. Copeland/Moore/Starling/Westry play the guard minutes. Cuffe and the best of the other bigs can round out the rotation. If you have one of Freeman/Brown on the floor as a forward 90% of the minutes it should cure a lot of ills. Especially if both can bang a wide open 3 once in a while.

I would like to see a portal 5 who can give us at least 25 minutes without having to massively change the defensive scheme. A good rebounder who can also make bunnies. Then Brown can clean up the center minutes and play 32-34 a game. Freeman/Westry/Bell round out the forward minutes. Copeland/Moore/Starling/Westry play the guard minutes. Cuffe and the best of the other bigs can round out the rotation. If you have one of Freeman/Brown on the floor as a forward 90% of the minutes it should cure a lot of ills. Especially if both can bang a wide open 3 once in a while.
The more I think about it, the more I realize Red's just going to roll with Maliq and McLeod at the 5 next year.

The more I think about it, the more I realize Red's just going to roll with Maliq and McLeod at the 5 next year.
We now see how underclassman transfers can be tricky. A grad transfer is an experienced one and done. An underclassman transfer has 2/3 years of eligibility left, you sold them on coming to your program and they burned their waiver free don't have to sit out transfer.

Griff compared him favorably with Jesse as a freshman.

Donnie plays on ESPNU tonight at 5 for those interested in watching.
Brutal game for Donnie last night offensively, finished with 2pts 2 asts 9 reb 1 blk and 3 to's on 0-9 fg 0-3 3pt 2-2 ft. Link Academy(who is ranked 4th in the country and has multiple five stars) was very physical with him and it forced him off his game to the point he was visibly frustrated in the second half and getting down on himself. Thought he did a solid job on the defensive end and the 9 rebounds was nice to see. He has a chance to be really good next year but thats going to require him hitting the weights hard this offseason. He mentioned in the syracuse.com article recently that he put on 10 pounds quickly since getting to IMG so thats a plus(he needs at least 15 more). One thing of note that I havent mentioned is that Donnie plays the five for IMG and one of his biggest strengths is taking bigger, slower footed centers off the dribble. I dont think this will be a possibility here due to his weight but if he puts on 20+ pounds it could happen. Thats a big ask for one off season though, so it might be a 2 year sort of plan if hes here that long. I think he would offer more shot blocking at the five than Maliq if he can get the weight up.

Last edited:
Brutal game for Donnie last night offensively, finished with 2pts 2 asts 9 reb 1 blk and 3 to's on 0-9 fg 0-3 3pt 2-2 ft. Link Academy(who is ranked 4th in the country and has multiple five stars) was very physical with him and it forced him off his game to the point he was visibly frustrated in the second half and getting down on himself. Thought he did a solid job on the defensive end and the 9 rebounds was nice to see. He has a chance to be really good next year but thats going to require him hitting the weights hard this offseason. He mentioned in the syracuse.com article recently that he put on 10 pounds quickly since getting to IMG easily so thats a plus(he needs at least 15 more). One thing of note that I havent mentioned is that Donnie plays the five for IMG and one of his biggest strengths is taking bigger, slower footed centers off the dribble. I dont think this will be a possibility here due to his weight but if he puts on 20+ pounds it could happen. Thats a big ask for one off season though, so it might be a 2 year sort of plan if hes here that long. I think he would offer more shot blocking at the five than Maliq if he can get the weight up.
Good for him to have this type of game now instead of coasting and being frustrated at the physicality once he starts ACC play. Hopefully he is doing everything he can to gain strength without sacrificing athleticism before even stepping foot on campus.

Good for him to have this type of game now instead of coasting and being frustrated at the physicality once he starts ACC play. Hopefully he is doing everything he can to gain strength without sacrificing athleticism before even stepping foot on campus.
Yeah, hes playing a brutal schedule, 3-4 top 100 kids every game, which will only help his development. Almost every game I listen to the announcers mention that the IMG staff raves about Donnie and that hes a super coachable kid. Hopefully this is true because the natural talent is there and with good coaching and a strong work ethic his ceiling is higher than anyone weve had since probably Mccullough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom