Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Biancardi on ACCPM regarding Freeman: “more of a prospect than a player right now” . Uh oh. Do we need to temper our expectations of Donnie?
Sounds like he is a fell to Syracuse type

Biancardi spends his time at Nike events. He went to the Addidas event for one day when Moore didn't have that good a game. That is it in a nutshell.
ESPN 100 is highly regarded and perhaps it shouldn't be. Any ranking authority should be comprehensive and cover all circuits extensively.

ESPN 100 is highly regarded and perhaps it shouldn't be. Any ranking authority should be comprehensive and cover all circuits extensively.
Their scouting department isn’t what it was like a lot of the rest of the company. Adam Finkelstein left to go to 247. They just don’t have the man power to see these prospects play like they used to.

Really excited about this kid., but definitely should temper our expectations as we should with any freshman. Just such a huge jump from HS to college especially now with NIL and kids staying in college for 4-5 years. I know his perimeter game is evolving but the form on his jumper looks different from one shot to the next (much like a lot of current Cuse players). On the last sequence of this clip where he's shooting a FT, looks like he has a really stiff wrist when following through. Hopefully he puts in the work and is a huge addition to the front court next year.

Biancardi on ACCPM regarding Freeman: “more of a prospect than a player right now” . Uh oh. Do we need to temper our expectations of Donnie?
Nope. He's going to start and be really good.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's 1 and done.

No. Moore is a better scorer and shooter than anyone currently on this team. He will play next year. He has some toughness too.
I’ve heard this for about 40 years with regards to so and so recruit being better than guys already on the team. We frankly can’t tell what anybody is with any degree of certainty until they are up here playing against D1 talent game after game .

See a lot of CMac in this kid, only his skills are much further along.

SF skills w PF size and length -
what’s not to like?

The fact that he plays with and against the highest level HS kids all the time, will make the transition to college much easier.

I’m 144% in agreement that he’s prolly 1-and-done.

See a lot of CMac in this kid, only his skills are much further along.

SF skills w PF size and length -
what’s not to like?

The fact that he plays with and against the highest level HS kids all the time, will make the transition to college much easier.

I’m 144% in agreement that he’s prolly 1-and-done.
I think one and done is unlikely. People were saying that about Benny. I think the tape shows he is considerably better and more polished with a considerably better stroke than Benny but he still needs to fill out. It is very hard to go one and done and I'd expect him to be on the hill for 2 years at a minimum. I hope people aren't expecting him to be poor man's Melo as a freshman and average something like 16 and 9 because I think that is unlikely. He could be special but it will take time.

I think one and done is unlikely. People were saying that about Benny. I think the tape shows he is considerably better and more polished with a considerably better stroke than Benny but he still needs to fill out. It is very hard to go one and done and I'd expect him to be on the hill for 2 years at a minimum. I hope people aren't expecting him to be poor man's Melo as a freshman and average something like 16 and 9 because I think that is unlikely. He could be special but it will take time.
Why do you compare him with Benny ? He’s clearly a much better player than Benny is right now. Because Benny has been a disappointment doesn’t mean this kid will be. He has the athleticism and skill set to a be very good player. I think he will be very good right away and will be a one and done

10-12 points and 6-7 rebounds a game would be very solid for a freshman.

I think people forget how good Benny was in high school. I think Freeman is better at the same stage. But, Benny was REALLY good. His freshman year destroyed his confidence.

I think people forget how good Benny was in high school. I think Freeman is better at the same stage. But, Benny was REALLY good. His freshman year destroyed his confidence.
He did not come close to playing at what was expected of him.

Ehhh Benny came up through Covid. He didn’t play as much and certainly not as much top competition. I saw him the first open practice his freshman year and his shot was flat then and he couldn’t handle the ball. He was mostly overrated as a recruit.JMO

“Freeman’s big season started in the fall at the Wooten150 camp and has continued through his senior season at Florida’s IMG Academy, where he has consistently shined on big stages and against elite competition.

As versatile a power forward as there is in the class, Freeman has added some muscle and developed as a shooter from range. And while both of the aforementioned areas still need work, his progress is notable to say the least.

The Syracuse signee has retained every ounce of his fluidity as he has put on weight and is still the same reliable post presence on both ends of the floor as he has been for years, but now looks a lot more comfortable playing on the perimeter.

He’s a lock to move up significantly from his current ranking when the Rivals150 gets a refresh following the McDonald’s All-American game.”

Freeman is another in-between forward; too small to be a college 4 right now, and not quite skilled enough on the dribble, in particular, to be a college 3. He's a super talented player, but he's got Kevin Durant legs. He's never going to be a "real" big man. By his sophomore or junior year (if he stays that long ...), he'll probably start at SF

I think it'll be a couple years. He's not strong enough yet. He has to work on his body.

Freeman is another in-between forward; too small to be a college 4 right now, and not quite skilled enough on the dribble, in particular, to be a college 3. He's a super talented player, but he's got Kevin Durant legs. He's never going to be a "real" big man. By his sophomore or junior year (if he stays that long ...), he'll probably start at SF
Donnie is most definitely going to be able to contribute minutes at the four next year. He plays the five with IMG (they don't have a true center) and played the four with Team Takeover on the AAU circuit. Pat Ngongba Takeovers big got hurt during Peach Jam and Donnie held his own playing the five in spurts. He's played the 4-5 at the highest level of high school basketball and is the third leading rebounder in the toughest league in the country. No doubt he needs to put on some weight but he's already added 10 pounds during his time with IMG. Will be interesting to see how Red mixes him in with Maliq and whatever bigs are on the roster next year. I would imagine he's used similarly to Maliq where he's going to spend most time at the four but some minutes as a small ball big if the opponents personnel allows. I do not think well see much (or any) of him playing the three.

Last edited:
Donnie is most definitely going to be able to contribute minutes at the four next year. He plays the five with IMG (they don't have a true center) and played the four with Team Takeover on the AAU circuit. Pat Ngongba Takeovers big got hurt during Peach Jam and Donnie held his own playing the five in spurts. He's played the 4-5 at the highest level of high school basketball and is the third leading rebounder in the toughest league in the country. No doubt he needs to put on some weight but he's already added 10 pounds during his time with IMG. Will be interesting to see how Red mixes him in with Maliq and whatever bigs are on the roster next year. I would imagine he's used similarly to Maliq where he's going to spend most time at the four but some minutes as a small ball big if the opponents personal allows. I do not think well see much (or any) of him playing the three.

My point is that his future is as a 3. That's why he's a McDonald's AA - he has advanced skills for such a tall guy at such a young age.

Donnie is most definitely going to be able to contribute minutes at the four next year. He plays the five with IMG (they don't have a true center) and played the four with Team Takeover on the AAU circuit. Pat Ngongba Takeovers big got hurt during Peach Jam and Donnie held his own playing the five in spurts. He's played the 4-5 at the highest level of high school basketball and is the third leading rebounder in the toughest league in the country. No doubt he needs to put on some weight but he's already added 10 pounds during his time with IMG. Will be interesting to see how Red mixes him in with Maliq and whatever bigs are on the roster next year. I would imagine he's used similarly to Maliq where he's going to spend most time at the four but some minutes as a small ball big if the opponents personal allows. I do not think well see much (or any) of him playing the three.
Donnie does play primarily the 5 at IMG, but it isn't necessarily because they "don't have a true center". Oliver Rioux is 7'7"which classifies him as a center (just doesn't play much).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom