Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 123 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Centers the last decade as follows: To me the facts are we are middle of the road? We have had some really good and some less
2018/19: Chukwu and Sidi (4.2/6.3 and 2.3/3.1)
2017/18: Chukwu (5.4/6.8 and Sidi 2.7/3.2)
2016/17: Coleman and Chukwu (5/4.8 and 1.7/4.1) Incl Lydon (13/8)
2015/16: Coleman and Obokoh (4.9/4.6 and 1.1/1.6) Incl Lydon (10/6).
2014/15: Christmas and Obokoh (17/9 and .8/1.6)
2013/14: Baye and Christmas (1.8/3.8 and 5.8/5.1)
2012/13: Baye and Christmas (3.7/3.7 and 5.1/4.6)
2011/12: Fab and Baye (7.8/5 and 2.3/2.5)
2010/11: Fab and Baye (2.2/3.7 and 2.2/1.9)
2009/10: Arinze and Riley (10.5 pts/5 boards and 1.4/1.5)
once again: the ability to recruit sought after bigs is separate from the ability to develop/utilize them

Hop's pilfering of our backyard will soon come to an end due to the normal "aging"process (unless he was recruiting kids in elementary school). Then he will have to sink or swim with western recruits. Kudos to him for getting Stewart away from Duke. If it wasn't Hop he probably goes to Duke.
I’m less concerned about Hop and more concerned that our staff can’t close on stud big men... or elite talent in general tbh. We’re on the bubble in part because our talent is not what it used to be. Plain and simple.

Seems like a very good kid with a great upbringing from two blue-collar parents. Based on that, I'm not at all surprised that he was always so close to Hop.

This is the main reason I think Hop never leaves Washington unless he gets fired. He would have a helluva time leaving his players behind.

I’m not going to research it, but I bet you were one of the posters that wanted nothing to do with Hop as our HC.
Wrong again. Always wanted hoppy even when his audition looked like a red flag.

Sick of losing our top assistants. Our top assistant went to the freaking pac 12.
FAA2D336-1A7C-4DF5-B52F-6BB0A7F96CF2.gif

True and not true.

As long as the HS and AAU coaches out here or anywhere that he has built good relationships with remain, he will always have a shot at getting a kid out of those programs. Maybe not he best shot, but he'll have a shot at east coast kids for a long time.

shot

Hopkins is a dynamic recruiter with an engaging personality. He’s also 25 years younger than JB. He relates well with kids. That matters. I know our assistants worked hard but they’re not the head coach.

No surprise but how do we finish this class out? Need a center, don’t trust Sidibe & Dolezaj as the only two options. JBA IMO is a project. No matter what anyone tells me.

Don't jump down my throat but this is huge for Hopkins. Getting a top 5 kid like this could put UW into hyperdrive in the recruiting game. And Hop can actually coach. I could see Gonzaga becoming UW's second banana in that region a couple years down the line.

No surprise but how do we finish this class out? Need a center, don’t trust Sidibe & Dolezaj as the only two options. JBA IMO is a project. No matter what anyone tells me.

Transfer.

I’m less concerned about Hop and more concerned that our staff can’t close on stud big men... or elite talent in general tbh. We’re on the bubble in part because our talent is not what it used to be. Plain and simple.
Yes I agree. But IMO our basketball brand took a huge hit when we moved to the ACC. Instead of being the biggest fish in the Big East with tons of NE media coverage we became an instant middle of the pack team in the ACC that is NEVER seen as a real competitor to Duke and UNC to win the conference. And that is how it has played out. That has to be playing a big part in our recruiting downturn.

Yes I agree. But IMO our basketball brand took a huge hit when we moved to the ACC. Instead of being the biggest fish in the Big East with tons of NE media coverage we became an instant middle of the pack team in the ACC that is NEVER seen as a real competitor to Duke and UNC to win the conference. And that is how it has played out. That has to be playing a big part in our recruiting downturn.

I don't know about that. There's really not enough talent in the East to keep us competing? UNC and Duke recruit nationally. We don't even compete with them for a good chunk of our recruits. We're losing kids to lesser programs. That has little to do with SU playing second banana perception-wise in the ACC. It certainly hasn't stopped UVA from dominating the league.

once again: the ability to recruit sought after bigs is separate from the ability to develop/utilize them
Fair enough...was not necessarily disputing your position, was just framing the last few years. It was not clear what you were calling fact.

did we win the acc our first year?

Ajak has also missed most of this season with an injury after having health issues earlier. A transfer would allow SU to redshirt him. He’s going to need it.
100% agree with you on Akok. Careful what you say about Ajak. I got into a huge huge fight with the folks on this forum that think he's going to be GREAT just because Syracuse recruited him. As i see it he wont be ready to play in a ACC game until 2022 after a ready shirt year, and bench year like Braswell this year.

I don't know about that. There's really not enough talent in the East to keep us competing? UNC and Duke recruit nationally. We don't even compete with them for a good chunk of our recruits. We're losing kids to lesser programs. That has little to do with SU playing second banana perception-wise in the ACC. It certainly hasn't stopped UVA from dominating the league.
Well Nova seems to be getting bigger recruits than us and that was rarely the case. In any event, we clearly are not getting the same level of recruits we used to get.

I think it has more to do with the fact that our HC is almost 75 with looming retirement and questions about his willingness to go 110% on the recruiting trail; we lost our most dynamic and charismatic assistant; and our brand is not very exciting.

Wrong again. Always wanted hoppy even when his audition looked like a red flag.

Just took a quick look. You weren’t really for or against but complained about him, especially needing to grow up. Didn’t find one post that said you wanted him as HC.

I think we’re actually really talented this year, which is why people started losing their ish (myself included) over how things were going pre-Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.