Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
TJ Power just did an interview recently where he said he grew up a Syracuse fan. He liked MCW as a kid, fellow Mass player, and then mentions that Syracuse has never reached out. I know we may end up with the class we want with Estrella and Ducharme, but we a shame to not even recruit a top talent who is a fan of the team.
Lots of possible reasons: they think JP is better for what SU does. They think they have a better chance at JP. They want JP to know he is their guy, without a doubt.

Lots of possible reasons: they think JP is better for what SU does. They think they have a better chance at JP. They want JP to know he is their guy, without a doubt.
They could easily recruit both. Iowa is. Different positions.

I honestly can't imagine going to Tennessee over Cuse for him if NIL doesn't matter. I also can't imagine going to Iowa either. Fran has sent one player to the NBA, they haven't been to the sweet 16 since 1999 and their fans care way more about football than they do basketball. Syracuse is the only logical choice here.
JP went on an Iowa radio show and the host told him to come back for a football game and started going off about how awesome football games are in Iowa, and then he asked JP if he likes football, and JP said he doesn't really care about football, and the host had no idea how to act and just kept bumbling on about football.

Come to Cuse, JP. It's a basketball school.

To add to that... I'm sure the coaches are tired of hearing "Syracuse is my dream school" "Syracuse basketball was my favorite when I was young." Pretty much all the recruits who said those things strung us along, some have even committed, then decommitted and went elsewhere. If TJ was really interested, he could have reached out to us as some recruits have done.

JP went on an Iowa radio show and the host told him to come back for a football game and started going off about how awesome football games are in Iowa, and then he asked JP if he likes football, and JP said he doesn't really care about football, and the host had no idea how to act and just kept bumbling on about football.

Come to Cuse, JP. It's a basketball school.
Iowa is a wrestling school, isn't it?

TJ Power just did an interview recently where he said he grew up a Syracuse fan. He liked MCW as a kid, fellow Mass player, and then mentions that Syracuse has never reached out. I know we may end up with the class we want with Estrella and Ducharme, but what a shame to not even recruit a top talent who is a fan of the team.

I like Power a lot. He’s a 3/4. When he would get here, who could we potentially have at the 3/4? At the 4; Benny, Brown, JP, Carey. At the 3; Taylor, Bunch, Ducharme. All young with Benny being the vet as a junior. I’m not sure we needed another.

I like Power a lot. He’s a 3/4. When he would get here, who could we potentially have at the 3/4? At the 4; Benny, Brown, JP, Carey. At the 3; Taylor, Bunch, Ducharme. All young with Benny being the vet as a junior. I’m not sure we needed another.
In an ideal world Benny would be the 3, Ducharme/Taylor at the 2, Carey getting minutes at the 5, with most of the minutes going to JP and Brown and Bunch floating around. Bunch could play 2 through 4. I guess the disappointing part is that I don't see anyone on the current roster with Power's style of play, same with Estrella's style for that matter.

In an ideal world Benny would be the 3, Ducharme/Taylor at the 2, Carey getting minutes at the 5, with most of the minutes going to JP and Brown and Bunch floating around. Bunch could play 2 through 4. I guess the disappointing part is that I don't see anyone on the current roster with Power's style of play, same with Estrella's style for that matter.

Agreed.

But is looking less likely that Benny has the skills of a traditional 3.

Agreed.

But is looking less likely that Benny has the skills of a traditional 3.
This has been stated a few times (less succinctly) in "points" (projection) posts. It's a valid observation. Benny's athletic gifts should shine in the zone, but on offense it's clear that his game is going to have to come from the inside out not the other way around. If the staff can get him to embrace this, I think he can flourish ... offensive rebounds, dunks, lobs, put-backs, and short-to-midrange jumpers that the defense gives him. If he plays this way he'll be happier, more confident and more productive. Leave the perimeter to JG3, Mintz and whoever else emerges. This team will be better off with Benny and Jessy closer to the basket to score, rebound and defend.

Last edited:
This has been stated a few times (less succinctly) in "points" posts. And it's a solid observation. Benny's athletic gifts will shine in the zone. But on offense, it's clear that his game is going to have to come from the inside out not the other way around. If the staff can get him to embrace this, I think he can flourish ... offensive rebounds, dunks, lobs, put-backs, and short-to-midrange jumpers that the defense gives him. I think if he plays this way he'll be happier, will become more confident and will score more points. Leave the perimeter to JG3, Mintz and whoever else emerges. This team will be better off with Benny and Jessy closer to the basket to score, rebound and defend.
The coaching staff needs to do a better job of putting him in these positions to be successful. Too many times last year when Benny was in the game they spread the floor and had him on the perimeter.

A wrasslin’ ‘school’ in a Meth state.
But supposedly they have great pizza at the gas stations….

So they got that goin’ for them. Which is nice.
Casey's pizza...yeah...decent gas station pizza...but I don't think anyone would compare it to actually good pizza. Good in a pinch and because they have them in every single small town...whereas good pizza is much harder to come by. Don't get me started on wings.

Tennessee landed its second top 100 Recruit. With the guys returning they have a lot of mouths to feed.
“The reason I chose Tennessee is because of the way they recruited me at a high level,” Dilione said to On3.
(Aka, they promised big booster money funneled through the NIL.)

robert de niro GIF
robert de niro GIF

A Tennessee staff member told his buddy that JP is a heavy Tennessee lean but no decision has been made. I was hoping he told the coaches his decision to avoid getting unnecessary phone calls every day, but it appears he's still talking to each program.

JP - NOBODY has done less with more, than Rick Barnes.

He couldn't make the Sweet Sixteen with KEVIN DURANT and THREE other future NBA players!!!!

JB got a Natty with Carmelo.

The last time we had a guy with your skillset (Tyler Lydon), JB took us to a FINAL FOUR.

Barnes/Tenn are lucky to get to the Sweet Sixteen once a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom