Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was obvious to me that JB felt he wasn’t coming to SU when he started ranting about fans having to step up for NIL. It’s never his fault. It has to be something else. Maybe it’s another Mintz situation. I hope I’m wrong. We haven’t heard people saying he’s been in contact with SU players on social media.

In fairness to JB every SU coach has NIL in front of mind.

It was obvious to me that JB felt he wasn’t coming to SU when he started ranting about fans having to step up for NIL. It’s never his fault. It has to be something else. Maybe it’s another Mintz situation. I hope I’m wrong. We haven’t heard people saying he’s been in contact with SU players on social media.

So what didn’t we do?

There is an 800 pound gorilla in the room on the recruiting trail and until it gets resolved I’d expect lots of flux in recruiting 2023 and beyond

There is an 800 pound gorilla in the room on the recruiting trail and until it gets resolved I’d expect lots of flux in recruiting 2023 and beyond
So you're no longer :) about this recruitment?

So I took an official visit to Tennessee in 2003 and have spent time in Knoxville Over the last 5 years. It truly is a perfect college town. No snow. Great weather during the school year. Facilities are incredible. Girls are you know lol.

I think a lot of us on here just think the kid is picking program against program. I was blown away from my visit there and this was 20 years ago. Born and raised in Syracuse I love the city and my up bringing. But seeing an SEC school was like not even real to me. I think these programs that are just so so success wise have such an upper hand Bc of all the other extras they possess. That’s why I don’t get mad at when a kid picks a school like this over cuse. Because there truly is a completely different world for them to experience especially if you’re from the Northeast

Have heard nothing negative on my end. Tenn was always a player. Biggest issues are it’s hard to get recruits excited when you are not in the tourney. But the HC uncertainty is the killer here.
thx for sharing what you're hearing

I think AZ’s comment tells us everything we need to know about this recruitment. JB’s retirement is an issue and money talks and the SEC is filling up buckets for players.

So I took an official visit to Tennessee in 2003 and have spent time in Knoxville Over the last 5 years. It truly is a perfect college town. No snow. Great weather during the school year. Facilities are incredible. Girls are you know lol.

I think a lot of us on here just think the kid is picking program against program. I was blown away from my visit there and this was 20 years ago. Born and raised in Syracuse I love the city and my up bringing. But seeing an SEC school was like not even real to me. I think these programs that are just so so success wise have such an upper hand Bc of all the other extras they possess. That’s why I don’t get mad at when a kid picks a school like this over cuse. Because there truly is a completely different world for them to experience especially if you’re from the Northeast
Appreciate your perspective. But the south isn’t for everyone. And if you were from Syracuse when you did your visit, of course it was gonna feel new and exciting and different. But Syracuse is a totally new environment to this kid as well. Who knows what JP and his family put the most value on when it comes to his college decision. Still hope we can win out and land JP.

Last edited:
Nothing recently. I said a while back that I was really worried about Tenn. I still am.

Well, that clinches it. Now I can commence to be PO’d.
Could the 800lb gorilla be of the grey-haired variety, whose name rhymes with Schmayheim?
Actually, on 2nd thought…I’m leaning more towards disappointment, frustration, and impotence, than anger.
This is like a long term marriage that’s on its last legs, but getting more & more stale every day. You can’t just divorce after all those years, so you’re left to wait it out hoping it won’t become unbearable. This year HAS to be make-or-break, otherwise be prepared for the long, slow, trudge to mediocrity to continue. JMHO

Have heard nothing negative on my end. Tenn was always a player. Biggest issues are it’s hard to get recruits excited when you are not in the tourney. But the HC uncertainty is the killer here.
Thanks for the info, AZ.

I will say—and this is not directed to you at all AZ—but when recruiting handlers and hangers-on talk about the uncertainty of whether JB will be the head coach, he’s stated over and over again that he’s going to keep on coaching. A ton of head coaches have been hired and fired since he first announced his retirement timeline back in 2015, and he’s outlasted them all. So our assistant coaches do have ammo to push back on that chatter with. (And I’m someone who believes it’s time for JB to retire.)

As for recruiting rivals saying Syracuse didn’t make the tourney last year, our past decade tourney performance is one of the strongest parts of our pitches for our coaches to highlight. We were in the Sweet 16 two years ago and again in 2018. We made the Final Four in 2016, plus a tourney appearance in 2019. (Not too mention the 2009-2014 high water mark.) That’s a heck of a lot better recent results than Iowa, Tennessee and Marquette. Again, our coaches have the receipts to push back on these narratives.

Not exactly. It's the coaching situation.
and, I mean, it's kind of a no-brainer. Like, regardless of what the staff might be saying, if you're a recruit how could you not be confused/skeptical/uneasy about the Syracuse coaching situation beyond the 22-23 season?
I was actually slightly surprised we had Estrella still strongly considering SU for as long as he apparently did...

and, I mean, it's kind of a no-brainer. Like, regardless of what the staff might be saying, if you're a recruit how could you not be confused/skeptical/uneasy about the Syracuse coaching situation beyond the 22-23 season?
I was actually slightly surprised we had Estrella still strongly considering SU for as long as he apparently did...
Rick Barnes isn’t exactly a spring chicken either. Same with Leonard Hamilton.

And he quite likely has a nice-sounding answer at the ready.

Which answer do you think JP or any recruit wants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom