Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
When JB went on Brent Axe and said there is an iron clad plan, someone on here said the signs of how good that ironclad plan is will show in the class of 23. Still to be determined but the question is coming up here in late August

I want to be careful not to stray from the topic of JP, but this is exactly why I was worried about the "iron clad" plan being an external-facing line without an external-facing plan.

Again, I'm sure JP has been told a plan and has a reassurance. But it's pretty tough to convey a level of trust and certainty when you have an array of options that are comparable and some may even be better, to be honest, without the similar coaching situation.

And, for any high level recruit, I feel like this issue will keep being front and center. Last year we were able to pull in Mintz, just hope we can keep convincing a few high level kids coming in.

The other thing in the back of my mind (and why JP is really important to me) is that we had a six person class last year and there is no way all six are still here after this year. Whether it be a jump to going pro or not loving the playing time outlook, some of those kids will be leaving. It's just the way it is now. We need to land the JPs of the world to slot in for program stability as we head into whatever transition plan occurs at whatever time.

When JB went on Brent Axe and said there is an iron clad plan, someone on here said the signs of how good that ironclad plan is will show in the class of 23. Still to be determined but the question is coming up here in late August
Yes. The 2023 class was noted as being one of the toughest to fill as we have to address the plan

I want to be careful not to stray from the topic of JP, but this is exactly why I was worried about the "iron clad" plan being an external-facing line without an external-facing plan.

Again, I'm sure JP has been told a plan and has a reassurance. But it's pretty tough to convey a level of trust and certainty when you have an array of options that are comparable and some may even be better, to be honest, without the similar coaching situation.

And, for any high level recruit, I feel like this issue will keep being front and center. Last year we were able to pull in Mintz, just hope we can keep convincing a few high level kids coming in.

The other thing in the back of my mind (and why JP is really important to me) is that we had a six person class last year and there is no way all six are still here after this year. Whether it be a jump to going pro or not loving the playing time outlook, some of those kids will be leaving. It's just the way it is now. We need to land the JPs of the world to slot in for program stability as we head into whatever transition plan occurs at whatever time.
Mintz is a non issue because we knew JB would coach 2022 and Mintz will be here for 1

Mintz is a non issue because we knew JB would coach 2022 and Mintz will be here for 1

I apologize, I meant level of talent like Mintz. I'm not expecting him after this year. But appreciate the clarity (and all of your other info).

So what I’m reading is that JP wants to play for JB but posters don’t want JB to coach JP. Sounds like the perfect storm for some.
I'm perfectly fine with JB coaching JP.

That might not be up to JB, despite *his* plan.

JB might decide (or be forced to decide) after JP's commitment that this coming season, or perhaps the following season, is his last.

JB is very old for a coach.

If you don't think all these things are on the minds of JP and his family, regardless of what assurances JB has given them... well, I think you'd be mistaken

and hell, maybe JB has told JP and family from the start of the recruitment that he's not sure what his last year will be but in any case it will be either Gerry or Red succeeding him, and they're good with that

So what I’m reading is that JP wants to play for JB but posters don’t want JB to coach JP. Sounds like the perfect storm for some.

I want JP to come to Syracuse to play basketball. If JB is here to coach him, great. If not, I still want JP here to play basketball. Why? Well, I always want a steady stream of talent flowing in, but especially when we're heading towards a transition from JB to another coach (or maybe not, maybe JB just coaches til he's 95... doesn't matter, I still want a steady stream of talent). Talent is one leg of the chair that contributes to a program's success and if JB's situation is causing that to be questionable, that's an issue. I stated above how that is mitigated with JB's resume. No need to rehash.

Sounds like we have a shot at him, that's great. If JB coaches him, cool. If someone else, cool. The program's success is my priority, not JB. Sorry if that's harsh, but I want what's best for the program. If that's JB staying til we all have hover boards, great. If not, then so be it.

JB might decide (or be forced to decide) after JP's commitment that this coming season, or perhaps the following season, is his last.

If you don't think all these things are on the minds of JP and his family, regardless of what assurances JB has given them... well, I think you'd be mistaken

How anyone feels about the subject is is irrelevant, because the reality JB is very close to the finish line. Could be after next year as many seem to believe, could be after 2, could be after 3, but it is highly unlikely to go much beyond that.

Whether there really is a "plan" or not beyond that -- again, some have suggested that the plan is in place and that we are staying in house -- seems questionable, since nothing has been announced. And JP and his family will react to that plan -- or lack thereof -- however they do.

Maybe they'll resonate with the planned successor and be excited

Or maybe they'll feel like it puts our program on unsure footing that makes SU less attractive than having proven coaching commodities at Tennessee / Iowa [assuming there even is a plan hammered out).

Or maybe it will be a little from column A, B, and C -- in the sense that they like SU and the proximity to home, but with an unknown commodity set to take over doesn't measure up compared to what those other programs have to offer when you add things up on the pros / cons list.

But it is likely -- not just possible -- that JB won't be in the head coaching position for even as much as 1 of JP's college seasons. That clearly has to factor into their decision. Heck, he might not even be around when JP is set to arrive in about a year, during summer 2023.

Last edited:

It’s that and the entire recruiting circuit using it against us.

I think about this all the time;
Just imagine none of the HCIW Hopkins stuff never happens, all the weirdness with this never happened and we’re at where we are today with the same question of how long does JB have left?

How different are things?

Really? You know JB about as well as I do. I find it hard to believe you would make that statement.
popcorn-bird.gif

What is the cutoff I have to wonder where folks draw a line. Are we talking JB being the Chuck Grassley or Strom Thurmond of college hoops?

What is the cutoff I have to wonder where folks draw a line. Are we talking JB being the Chuck Grassley or Strom Thurmond of college hoops?
This season will determine whether it’s a graceful, dignified exit, or torches and pitchforks.
If we have a good season & an ncaa birth, hopefully he’ll take that and bow out, ie; Costanza; “Go out on a high note”.
Do I expect that to happen? No, probably not. If we win, he’ll see it as validation for another run.
The alternative scenario of a major faceplant/losing season is the one to fear most. Then, we’ll have a serious, serious problem.

Last edited:
Really? You know JB about as well as I do. I find it hard to believe you would make that statement.

No I don’t think he’d blatantly lie. That would be a killer for other recruits. He may not be completely forthcoming but he’s not going to blatantly say he’d be here JPs full career if he knew he wasn’t.

it's a dead period, so our coaches can't reach out to him, right? Doesn't mean Weitsman couldn't reach out to him, if he were inclined.
I believe that’s exactly how the new NIL recruiting goes. The coaches tell the collective which prospects they want and the collective reaches out directly to the prospects or their handlers with financial terms.

I believe that’s exactly how the new NIL recruiting goes. The coaches tell the collective which prospects they want and the collective reaches out directly to the prospects or their handlers with financial terms.
download.jpeg

Correct. The collectives, corporations or SMB's are directed. Trust me the schools know how much money is available to spend are directing it and are making sure all the legal, accounting work is taken care of so the kids are not responsible. The kids just get a direct deposit. Legally the schools cant be involve or touch anything, but the collectives are typically run by boosters that have close ties to school Admins and ADs. Whats happenng now is ex-school employees are working or helping to organize the collectives. It's an arms length transaction and IMO not in the spirit of college sports...

If (small word with big meaning) we have a good year and the best players return ( could be all of the team) we don’t need JP.
Who is playing center next year? Please don’t say Carey.

Obviously, the analyst buzz for JP doesn't look good for SU. But this spring, the buzz for Mintz didn't look good for SU, until it did look good for SU, so I'm not super optimistic, but maybe there's a chance SU lands JP.
The analysts are making guesses, just like everyone else. At this point, I wouldn’t put much stock in their predictions, which they can still change up until the last minute. See: Mintz, Judah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.