Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
If (small word with big meaning) we have a good year and the best players return ( could be all of the team) we don’t need JP.

Have heard nothing negative on my end. Tenn was always a player. Biggest issues are it’s hard to get recruits excited when you are not in the tourney. But the HC uncertainty is the killer here.

Makes sense. We're in a bad position for multiple reasons -- JB's uncertain status is key, but so is the current state of the program. Can't be overlooked.

And frankly, the family might not be comfortable with the ostensible succession plan that has been discussed ad nauseum here, if it has been communicated to them. That might make some of those other schools more attractive than SU.

Exactly….and therein is the issue

How is it an issue if it’s what a recruit wants to hear? It’s not what some fans want but fans aren’t the recruit.

How is it an issue if it’s what a recruit wants to hear? It’s not what some fans want but fans aren’t the recruit.
Because it's likely not what's actually going to happen, and most recruits/parents can see that?

edit: and hey JB pretty much has to give that as an answer, I guess - it's the situation that's a mess, inevitably - the proverbial elephant in the room, old coach at the end of his run still trying to recruit

Last edited:
Because it's likely not what's actually going to happen, and most recruits/parents can see that?

I don’t think JB would just blatantly lie to a recruit.

FWIW, Tennessee is at their scholarship allotment for 2023 which is 13 the max. Now that does not mean that they are done recruiting. One of their ?returning? Players could always leave. They appear to still need a big man, center type.

in addition, Marquette who just signed a 6’8“PF is also at 13 scholarships allotted for 2023, but the same logic holds that one of their returning players could leave before 2023.
In the portal era its easy to oversign because its a given that current players will leave before their eligibility expires

Which actually brings a question to mind, does the family of a recruit like Estrella try and go straight to the AD with the "who's gonna be my coach" question?

Makes sense. We're in a bad position for multiple reasons -- JB's uncertain status is key, but so is the current state of the program. Can't be overlooked.

And frankly, the family might not be comfortable with the ostensible succession plan that has been discussed ad nauseum here, if it has been communicated to them. That might make some of those other schools more attractive than SU.
Tenn is what they are but they play an exciting brand of basketball and were a pretty high seed in the NCAAs. We are who we are. Pretty mediocre.

Well, that clinches it. Now I can commence to be PO’d.
Could the 800lb gorilla be of the grey-haired variety, whose name rhymes with Schmayheim?
Actually, on 2nd thought…I’m leaning more towards disappointment, frustration, and impotence, than anger.
This is like a long term marriage that’s on its last legs, but getting more & more stale every day. You can’t just divorce after all those years, so you’re left to wait it out hoping it won’t become unbearable. This year HAS to be make-or-break, otherwise be prepared for the long, slow, trudge to mediocrity to continue. JMHO
Agreed, thats why they need to shift to building the team through the portal for short term gains, year to year basis. Its hard to lay out a 4 year plan when there has been no public announcement of succession plan, HCIW, etc.

I wonder what JP’s decision would be if:
1. I’m done after this year and Red or GMAC are taking over or
2. I plan to be here when you get here.
The first might be a complete no go.

Because a recruit and his parents are aware of the situation and the risk that is associated with it.

It's not that JB is lying, per se, but that there are some things that are subject to change or at least impact JP's college career.

Our situation at Syracuse is not as stable as most others. There has been one public disruption of a transition plan that had a probation tethered to it. We have a very old coach (in terms of D1 coaches' ages). We do not have a public facing transition plan outside of the hilariously-entitled "iron clad" plan that JB mentioned.

And, while I am sure that JP has had info conveyed to him and his family that would suggest that a) JB will be here for him and b) things are stable and secure, there is a track record of it not being so and coming off the past few years, we're not exactly a title-contending program right now.

My personal feelings mean nothing, but I think it's pretty clear it's pretty easy to pick apart any promises made and at least seed doubt. Now, that risk comes against the upside of JB being a HoFer, of getting guys like JP to the league, of being able to feature guys like JP on O, and JB being tied to a ton of NBA players and execs. I mean, let's be real, NIL is cool, but the goal is at least two contracts in the NBA.

Every time I think I’m out…
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Tenn is what they are but they play an exciting brand of basketball and were a pretty high seed in the NCAAs. We are who we are. Pretty mediocre.
Who completely bombed out, which is the norm for Barnes.

Which actually brings a question to mind, does the family of a recruit like Estrella try and go straight to the AD with the "who's gonna be my coach" question?

Wouldn't you? You have a kid in this situation, I'd be hitting up the AD, the assistant coaches, the ball boy, the chancellor and the dining hall attendants. I mean, I'd be digging to get every bit of info I could if this was my kid.

When JB went on Brent Axe and said there is an iron clad plan, someone on here said the signs of how good that ironclad plan is will show in the class of 23. Still to be determined but the question is coming up here in late August

Between this and Ducharme, not exactly a summer to remember from a recruiting standpoint. 23 was always gonna be a small class but yikes

I wonder what JP’s decision would be if:
1. I’m done after this year and Red or GMAC are taking over or
2. I plan to be here when you get here.
The first might be a complete no go.

Might be.

Hard to say -- but that's what I allude to above. Maybe that in conjunction with other factors [NIL, style of play, weather, or whatever] pushes them toward other programs with less uncertain trajectories.

I agree. But then again, tides can turn and recruiting momentum can shift. We just landed a top 25 class in 2022. If most of that class develops, if Mintz turns into a star, if Benny improves and makes strides this season, and we land JP, Reid and Trey for 2023, maybe the narrative on recruiting and the program starts to change. I just want JB to be able to hand off the program to the next guy in a more solid state or at least back on the upswing again. One can hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.